Jonny Darko Read This

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clowneh!

the link is broken in ur slavery thread :)

THE TOPIC FOR YOU NON JD PEOPLE IS:

is euthanasia right?

M

MYstIC G

Use a PM for gods sake, like any sensible person (me) would :p

C

Clowneh!

i dont check pms so i dont trust anyone else to :)

D

dysfunction

Elite Force 2 extra map:

Will Game Subscribers be able to d/l this extra map if they already have this game?

J

Jonny_Darko

Thanks for that. By the way if anyone strongly feels threads like this should be left open for replies please let me know, it's your community after all. :)

My thinking was just that while this is very exciting news for some people, the thread would just fill up with "you corporate whore ruining our community with ads" etc.

And I did enough crying last week!

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by dysfunction
Elite Force 2 extra map:

Will Game Subscribers be able to d/l this extra map if they already have this game?

I'll look into it. I hope you don't already have it though :/

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
By the way if anyone strongly feels threads like this should be left open for replies please let me know

just get them right and there will be no need to keep them open :p its an advertisement and we dont need people saying 'its shit' or whatever in it :)

i have no idea what this game is btw

T

Testin da Cable

it's a star wars clone tbh

oO /me hides :D

D

dysfunction

Thanks for that. By the way if anyone strongly feels threads like this should be left open for replies please let me know, it's your community after all. :)

My thinking was just that while this is very exciting news for some people, the thread would just fill up with "you corporate whore ruining our community with ads" etc.

We can always start a thread to call you a corporate whore...so you may as well keep it unlocked!

;)

Y

yankeedoodle

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
it's a star wars clone tbh
oO /me hides :D

s'not , its medal of honour allied assault with phasers. Team AI assisting blah blah. swop the figures for GI's and the aliens for Nazis and there you go.
( i did like the original tho.)

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by yankeedoodle
s'not , its medal of honour allied assault with phasers. Team AI assisting blah blah. swop the figures for GI's and the aliens for Nazis and there you go.
( i did like the original tho.)

time to lay off the crack dude

D

Durzel

I'm gonna post my response to the "Get it off your chest" thread here, because it seems the only logical place to put it.

Firstly, I'm not a subscriber. This isn't because I'm making any kind of weak stand "against teh corporate machine" or anything like that, I simply don't play FPS games online a great deal anymore. If anything, my time is consumed by the odd MMORPG, and console games. I did consider buying a subscription purely "for the BW memories", but being a tight bastard I didn't, mainly because I knew DBs, Ted and co would get paid regardless. I'm half Scottish, so "being tight" should hopefully be obvious.

My perspective on things as they stand is this:

Anyone in the employ of GAME is pretty much always going to be labelled/regarded as a "suit" (faceless or otherwise), "corporate mouthpiece", etc. All the usual personally offensive terms. This isn't going to change really, regardless of the effort put by yourselves into replying to threads, identifying with "teh community" by mentioning your perchant for Red Dwarf, etc. Why? Purely because the masses that use the forums remember the "golden days" of BarrysWorld, and the stories of Ben and Tony ploughing their own hard earned into keeping BW running. Suddenly, GAME buys BW and everyone is on the high pay gravy train. This is just business obviously, but a lot of people forget that the purpose of GAME.NET is to make money, whereas the purpose of BW, it seemed for the most part, was to just exist.

Whether or not DBs and TedTheDog actually did make money from BW prior to the GAME.NET buyout is moot really, unfortunately when GAME bought BW it wasn't a case of them saving it (which, financially, was obviously the case) but instead condemning it to a "corporate" existence.

I know this is a tough one to understand, since things that aren't run in a professional and accountable manner simply don't last, and at the very basic level - no one with technical ability works for nothing. BW, on the other hand, always had the "run from the back room off a shoe string" feel to it (I don't mean that in any way offensive to what Ben and Tony created). It seemed (and may have actually been the case) that everyone involved with BW worked for nothing, or - worse - to a financial detriment. Level3 hosted them on borrowed favours, liaisons and random people helped out unpaid for the greater good... it was synergistic and embodied the very nature of "community".

When BW was bought - it seemed that "the community" was effectively bought as part of the package. Indeed, I don't doubt that this was the case as its a typical business commodity. But regardless of this, I got the feeling that there was a certain amount of arrogance or presumption in the mix that assumed that the community would jump at the chance of paying money for the exact same service as they experienced for free for 3 years prior to the buyout.

I'm not sure if theres a definitive point to my post, suffice to say I think the divide between "them" and "us" is there purely because it appears from the outside in that the community is treated as a commodity, a means to an end to make money. Which of course it is, ultimately, and is the root of how the business makes money.

Which is coincidentally why there is not really anything you can do or say to change this attitude.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but so long as GAME.NET is perceived as an entity out to make money "off the back of the community" it will always be seen as "them" and "us" by, at the least, the forum cognoscenti. And all the trappings that come with being a corporate entity (i.e. not being able to divulge things in the works, charging for services, regulating public forums, etc) will just continue to be looked upon as the machination of GAME.NET, not the cuddly, loveable BarrysWorld.

(Incidentally, I'm not among these people - I'm "business worldy" enough to know how things work in the real World. I'm just laying down what I believe to be the perception of the problem)

C

Clowneh!

man this thread is about euthanasia

interesting read tho

C

cjravey

I wish I was on a high wage gravy train... We do get free gravy whenever we want, though. And sometimes it has chicken bits in it.

X

Xtro

I've given up on the general forum for a bit tbh tbh.

If anyone needs me I'll be skulking in the PS forum being a happy mod*

*this may not be true.

D

dysfunction

If this thread turns into another one moaning about servers and the demise of BW....Can someone please shoot me now?

G

GDW

Thank you Durzel for posting an excellent point of view. However as I found to my detriment , the suits in here dont really care and most of the other regs think of 'you' as an idiot simply because you post something you feel semi strongly about.

I think you get more response in here by posting such statements as :

Can someone please come and play a game of xxxxx with me or post a link to the bbc tbh tbh

X

Xtro

Originally posted by GDW
Thank you Durzel for posting an excellent point of view. However as I found to my detriment , the suits in here dont really care and most of the other regs think of 'you' as an idiot simply because you post something you feel semi strongly about.

As a "reg" I'd just like to say that no I don't think of Durz as an idiot, I'm just going to lie in a corner, that corner being the PS forum.

Carry on as you were.

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by Xtro
As a "reg" I'd just like to say that no I don't think of Durz as an idiot, I'm just going to lie in a corner, that corner being the PS forum.

Carry on as you were.

I dont either

...But I'm staying right here.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Xtro

Carry on as you were.

Don't go there :(

It's full of spamming cockmonkeys.

C

cjravey

Originally posted by GDW

I think you get more response in here by posting such statements as :

Can someone please come and play a game of xxxxx with me or post a link to the bbc tbh tbh

As it happens, GDW, I *do* agree with him - I think that *is* how some people see it. My flip reply was, basically, because i don't think anyone who sees it like that (the longer serving guys saints, the 'new' - to this community anyway - guys as money grabbers, etc) would shift their attitude based on my post.

It's all about perception, but - and you'll have to presume i'm not brainwashed for this to have a chance of being taken on board - I have seen the whole BW/GAME saga from close up and I'd say the perception is a flawed one in all but Ben and Tony's hard work in setting this up.

But love to all:)

G

GDW

If what you are saying is true cj then that's heartening to know.

B

bigfoot

Suddenly, GAME buys BW and everyone is on the high pay gravy train.

I wish that was the case, I'm still on the same salary I was when I started working for BW when it was self-ran in March 2000 (haven't even had an inflation linked pay-rise so effectively I'm being paid less) and this is despite never having taken a sick day, working weekends and the closest thing to a holiday being going away on a Saturday morning and coming back on a Monday afternoon over a bank holiday weekend.

I know that the holiday thing is partly my own choice so I am not going for the symapthy vote, just making it clear that some of us do care about "teh community", even if we get treated like shit when we ban people who like to post racist crap or tell others to cunt off and die of fucking aids cos they think it is teh funn0r :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom