John Hurt?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't get it :(

I also thought it was cheesy as fuck the way they did it. Really really jarring. Took you right out of the moment.

But still, I liked it and it looked like it's going to be fun.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The doctor is in his own time, past, present and future all in one, so John hurt is his future self?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
But not The Valeyard?

I don't get it.

Also, why build up to revealing his name and then not doing it?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They are going to do a word seatch puzzle in the radio times.

rynnor

Rockhound
Ch3tan said:
The doctor is in his own time, past, present and future all in one, so John hurt is his future self?

Some think he might be one from the Time wars - perhaps he started the Time war.

Others that he may be Doctor 0 who preceeded the first series.

Personally I'm in favour of a future self who did something evil like wiping out the human race...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And as he has more entered his own time line, is that a potential future self or a predetermined one? Interesting

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Personally I'm in favour of a future self who did something evil like wiping out the human race...

Unlikely because 11 recognised him. I reckon it will be Time War Doctor (probably either between McGann and Ecclestone or "old McGann").

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think he will be The Doctor before Ecclestone (someone said his clothes are a mix of Ecclestone and the one before) and he was responsible for ending the Time War. This also means that Smith is 12 which means only 1 more regeneration?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Didn't they do something silly to reset the regeneration's in the last couple of seasons?

rynnor

Rockhound
DaGaffer said:
Unlikely because 11 recognised him.

I dont think that's an issue since he has crossed his own timelines many times so knowledge of future selves is pretty easy.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Didn't they do something silly to reset the regeneration's in the last couple of seasons?
I think the Doctor joked he had regenerated 507 times which would mean the 13 times is bollocks.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
He took the name doctor after the timewar as a promise(as stated) to never again do such a thing(assuming that was the promise in the name) and thus "not done in the name of the doctor".

Just a theory really. River also said "you're so young" to the doctor(tennant) and current is even younger. Said goodbyes now(insinuating that they don't meet in future doctor forms), knows his name, so was probably married to the person before the doctor(aka timewar ender).

What was shown was probably the start of "the doctor".

soze

I am a FH squatter
Didn't one of the clips show an early Doctor on Gallifrey stealing the Tardis? Which means the earliest Doctor could not have ended the Time war as Gallifrey was destroyed during that war?? My early Doctor Who knowledge is non existent.

DaGaffer

I dont think that's an issue since he has crossed his own timelines many times so knowledge of future selves is pretty easy.

If that was the case then that whole episode would have been pointless since he would already have known what was going on without visiting Tanzelor. And besides, every time he regenerates, he always treats each new face as a surprise. Even for him, subjective time is a one-way street.

I think the Doctor joked he had regenerated 507 times which would mean the 13 times is bollocks.

But in that episode Clara specifically said she'd seen "all eleven".

He took the name doctor after the timewar as a promise(as stated) to never again do such a thing(assuming that was the promise in the name) and thus "not done in the name of the doctor".

Just a theory really. River also said "you're so young" to the doctor(tennant) and current is even younger. Said goodbyes now(insinuating that they don't meet in future doctor forms), knows his name, so was probably married to the person before the doctor(aka timewar ender).

What was shown was probably the start of "the doctor".

How would that work? He was definitely called the Doctor before the Time War. And the River quote is because to her (as at that point she was from his future) he was "young". Its nothing to do with physical looks, its that he was an earlier incarnation of the Doctor she'd married.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Because timeywimey. Timewar and river are both open books as far as info goes.

rynnor

Rockhound
DaGaffer said:
If that was the case then that whole episode would have been pointless since he would already have known what was going on without visiting Tanzelor. And besides, every time he regenerates, he always treats each new face as a surprise. Even for him, subjective time is a one-way street.

Why would he know what was going on - he could learn about his future selves by hearing about their exploits - this isnt the same as learning his own personal future.

Edit - As to the faces thing I always took that as a reluctance to know too much not that he couldn't know.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
River is time personified. That Clara bird is a time lord but just doesn't know it. Dr Who is his own dad.

Bosh.

Oh and John Hurt is a red herring.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
River is time personified. That Clara bird is a time lord but just doesn't know it. Dr Who is his own dad.

Bosh.

Oh and John Hurt is a red herring.
And shrimp cannot be.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
John Hurt most likely plays the real 9th doctor. The other versions made themselves forget that incarnation as he disgraced the name of the doctor and broke the promise by slaughtering millions/billions in the time war.

We don't know what happened to the 8th doctor and assumed Eccleston was the 9th incarnation. I put most likely as we won't know till November but that makes the most sense.

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Well glad you somehow magically know which doctor river met originally, or when the doctor took his name ;)

We know which Doctor met River originally because we saw the episode when it happened. We know the Doctor has been called "The Doctor" since William Hartnell, which blows your post-Time War naming idea out of the water. The only magic involved is the power of "television".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah everything is really speculation and random chances of "told you!" since it's doctor who :p

The sonic screwdriver has nothing as a plotdevice when the timewar comes to play.

We know which Doctor met River originally because we saw the episode when it happened.

I said which doctor -she- met first.

Though it is an interesting theory that hurt is doctor 8.5, between 8 and 9.

Last edited:

rynnor

Rockhound
DaGaffer said:
Yes, 11. Matt Smith. It was on the tele-vision dear. Your Alzheimer's playing up today is it?

There could be some wriggle room - we know she could regenerate and potentially the one at the start of the lets kill hitler episode was not her first body.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Like i said, timewar, river, timeywimeywibblywobbly. Best not to try and rationalize it :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Has the first 4 pages of this thread been deleted?
For those of us still using an ear trumpet to watch Radio 4 in black & white, what the fuck? John Hurt what? Dead? Making a re-appearance in Alien: The Bit Before the Meal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom