JK2 Bookables for the public

F

FragFodder

I've been reading some of the other forums and they've had some really good ideas.

As we all know... The JK2 publics are pretty quiet at the moment compaired to how they used to be.

Would people show if someone was to book a server for everyone?

Admittedly I userly have my quota taken up by the BWJK2L but I think I could spair a couple of hours here and there. Cmon people, all the subscribed members have 4 hours per week and if you're not using it then why not?

It seems BW have just left us for dead. I dunno about anyone else but I aint seen the JK2 Liason for months. So lets get off our arses and look after ourselfs.

If I get a decent responce from this I'll book a server and we'll try getting this community thriving again. You never know, once we start getting enough peeps in the bookables we could possibly convince people to buy subscriptions (they are a good deal) and move into the publics.

FragFodder

S

S3-FluKe

Who needs a liason with no community? Yeah killing the pubs was a great idea.

Yeah, bookable pubs are a good idea but I still dont get why everything comes down to us trying to fill BWs pockets for no reason, other GSPs run pubs which are fine and get good communitys built up (the kind that might spend money on subscriptions) I dont see why you guys keep trying to clean up the mess left behind from Barrysworlds bad business plan, if they understood how gaming works they'd have realised that at least some pubs would be good advertising for their other features, if you want a small site with server side code available or bookables access that would've been an attractive offer on its own, its hard to see how Barrysworld will survive with no presence in gaming communities to promote themselves.

Unfortunately it comes down to BW and P2P again but with what we've got it looks like a good plan m8, nice one.

F

FragFodder

It's pretty simple really m8

BW are and always have been the best provider out there. Since BW went P2P how many issues have you had with Lag etc on League and Bookable servers?

Their subscription price reflects the service, I know you get these things from whoever you sorted ANO.co.uk with, but that's not the point. We all dont have our own domain.

Look at it this way... a BW subscription gives people their own hosted site with forums and access to bookables. Compaire the prices

BW - £12 Per Year

BW Email Addy
Hosted Website
Hosted Forums
4 Hours Per Week Bookable Servers
Fast FTP Access
"Publics" (Empty at the moment, but this is what this is all about)

Jolt - £5 for a 2 Hour Bookable

Blue Yonder - £10 Per Month

Not sure what you get to be honest. The site says this:

"The benefits of subscribing

Blueyonder broadband (cable modem) or dial-up (56k modem) users can activate a multiplayer games subscription. Subscribers benefit from exclusive privileges including subscriber only events and the ability to book or instantly launch a game with complete control. Allowing full password control, "RCON", no player limits, choice of game maps and server set-up players are given all the functions of leasing their own server, but at a fraction of the cost." -
http://gaming.blueyonder.co.uk/profile/upgrade.jsp

Subscriptions are a good deal compaired to the competition, the only difference is you dont get free Public Servers. If BW have enough subscribers then the publics wouldn't be that much of an issue.

If JK2 is dead at Barrysworld, then why are you, me, Yoni, Teffy, CAC, Falcon, and Vapouriser wasting our time (on one level or another) trying to run the BWJK2L. If the community is dead then we may as well kill the league. I refuse to believe that.

Only by getting something arranged will we be able to get this thing going again. The community aint dead, its just playing elsewhere. Maybe you're right, maybe it aint upto us/me to try getting things going again... But I'm gonna try and if you aint gonna help please do me a favour and dont hinder my attempts.

FF

B

bigfoot

Who needs a liason with no community? Yeah killing the pubs was a great idea.

It was a necessary part of the Subscription process, keeping Publics outside of Subs would have served no purpose other than to be a continually loss making drain on resources. If Wolfy is being a useless liaison and you want to take his place then by all means speak to Natrat and ask him about it.

Yeah, bookable pubs are a good idea but I still dont get why everything comes down to us trying to fill BWs pockets for no reason, other GSPs run pubs which are fine and get good communitys built up (the kind that might spend money on subscriptions)

*might* is a very important word in that paragraph. We've run the best Quake 3 leagues for years, had loads of popular Q3 servers, but when it comes down to it i reckon 5% of participants in the leagues actually have Subscribed. We've spent god knows how much money on supporting free competitions and public servers, where do you think the money for that has come from over the years?

I dont see why you guys keep trying to clean up the mess left behind from Barrysworlds bad business plan, if they understood how gaming works they'd have realised that at least some pubs would be good advertising for their other features,

They wouldn't be good advertising, would just be a drain on resources and give people more of an excuse not to Subscribe.

its hard to see how Barrysworld will survive with no presence in gaming communities to promote themselves.

We have Clan servers which are public, plus the leagues, both of which act as a presence in the "communities" you talk about. One could argue though that there is little point having a presence in such communities if they aren't willing to cough up to sustain the communities.

Y

Yoni

hmmmmms

Xeno

I find that very negative of you to vent like this about BW.

As FF said they have the best quality servers out of all the providers and for such they charge a MINIMAL fee I mean 12 / 24 a year - that is nothing absolutley nothing.

BW are owned my a multimillion pound organisation - I very much doubt that Game would support a business plan that did not stack up, and being someone who writes business plans like that for a living for a mulitimillion pound organisation I know they would never agree to a plan which does not fit with their group strategy.

Instead of being so negative don't you think that we as volenteers (ie not forced to) should show a united front to our community and show them that bw is a good place to play and worth every penny they would spend on a sub???

I do not feel that "we" are clearing up BW's mess but helping them through an early stage of their developments - it would be nice if we could breath some life back into "our" community dont you think?

Nice ideas FF I also have a few spare hours we can utilise to organise some open games.

A damsel in distress

:sex:

Yoni
BWJK2L Co Head Admin
BW Public Admin

F

FragFodder

Well here goes

I dont care what other people think, I'm gonna try. Here're the booking details for THIS saturday.

We'll see how many people show up. Pass on the word all are welcome!!

FF

BarrysWorld server booking confirmed:

Game information
----------------
Game - Jedi Knight 2
Mod - Default Modes
Configuration - BWJK2L League Config

Booking time and duration
-------------------------
Date/time - Saturday 09 November 2002 at 15:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time
Duration - 120 minutes

Server information
------------------
Name - BarryBookable - Jedi Knight 2 (1)
Address - bbserver09.barrysworld.com:28070 (IP address 213.221.176.41:28070)

Booking information
-------------------
Title - Public Bookable All Welcome - pass= enter
Quota booking made against - fragfodder1 (BarrysWorld Subs Bookable quota)
Player Password - enter
rconPassword - *****

K

KevinUK

I'll come if I remember :/

Also I think its dumb people saying BW should have some public servers to show why its worth paying, cos then they will never sign up and just play on the free servers...

S

S3-FluKe

Well I think its pretty sick that a multimillion pound organisation need volunteers to gather up its cash, You guys are doing a hell of a lot for nothing in return but whatever.

Good luck guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom