Jeezuz, what a dog...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
...Windows Server 2012 is, eh?

Running a VM with an idea of installing some software to run as a webserver (I'm a 'doze laggard).

However, I've rebooted my Ubuntu VM and am back up, running and browsing whilst I'm waiting for 2012 to shut itself down after updates.

Yep. There it goes.

The UI is absolute solid gash for administrators. WHY THE FUCK have they decided that a consistent UI is needed across the whole user space? Who in their right mind is going to administer Server 2012 with a fucking swipe-screen?

Anyway. /rant OFF :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You are meant to use command line and PowerShell to administer 2012.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It is horrid and the fact it has been designed to run hot boggles my mind. We deploy and constantly get asked why it is using 90% plus ram doing fuck all. The UI was also a giant mistake the interface is slow enough on a local machine when you are trying to RDP or TeamViewer the machine over a slow connection it is horrible.

Like @Ch3tan said if you can install Core and just use the Server Manager snap in on your PC or install that other option that installs Server Manager in a local GUI but does not have all the fluff. I have never used that and can not remember the name of it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's designed to be used via mmc snap ins and PowerShell remotely, it is crap as a os if you try and use it like 2003 or 2008. MS are moving away from allowing administration through the gui.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ooh command line and power shell? you mean they're finally trying to be a real server? ;-D

soze

I am a FH squatter
If by real you mean less user friendly then yes :D Having to learn all the command shells for Exchange 2010 exams was a ball ache and I have forgotten it all now and reference a txt document instead. The GUI in previous versions was so much easier.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes, I honestly think they've thought they weren't grown up enough so ease of use went out the window. PowerShell it's fantastic mind, but like soze said there is no point remembering it. Use a reference guide.
ooh command line and power shell? you mean they're finally trying to be a real server? ;-D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
soz matey; a gui has no business on a server imo.

Having to learn all the command shells for Exchange 2010 exams was a ball ache and I have forgotten it all now

such is life :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom