Jamster Ringtone Company (Or should I say Scamster)

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Just thought I would share this with you all. I downloaded a ringtone from www.jamster.co.uk. And no it wasn't Amma Bloody Rillo.

You get a txt message to say that here is your ringtone. Now every day I get 2 or 3 text massages from them to say here is the new releases etc. I got my latest bill from Vodafone and it was over £100.00 despite me getting 500 mins free with my tarriff. It would appear when you download a ringtone you actually sign up to there terms and conditions which means they can send you unlimited txt messages and they charge you £2.20 for each one they send even though it is just an advert. Agreed I should have read the small print. However for those people that dont and expect to get the odd ringtone from time to time without any underhanded charges then please be warned

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Man that's pretty damn lame :\

DIY ringtone uploads ftw.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Another one for ICSTIS methinks. Jamster have been the subject of Watchdog reports and all kinds of stuff; they've got a 'reputation' all the way across Europe (In Germany there was a 100,000 signature petition to get them banned from advertising on MTV).

Of course, if you bought the Crazy Frog or that fucking tweetie thing, you deserve to die :p

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
DaGaffer said:
Of course, if you bought the Crazy Frog or that fucking tweetie thing, you deserve to die :p

Yes. Or Bananaphone.

Gray

FH is my second home
Yeah... Id say in all Mobile Service Providers - Premium Text Messages (Ringtones, pictures etc) are the form of the most complaints around...

Usually wherever you got the text, it will have really small T&C about subscription.. "If you do not send STOP to xxxxx after recieving the text, you are legally binding into a contract to recieve more"

I always cringe when i get a call about em :/

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
That sucks. I fucking hate that company though I mean what the fucking christ are those SHIT adverts about with those fucking 2 birds and stuff. The new ones are even worse too one of them is just an obese fly burping or something? Now they've started with the Sweety chick & Axel Foley remix... :(:(:(

Embattle

FH is my second home
A number of these companies have been getting in the shit recently, there was even someone on GMTV a few weeks ago complaining about such tactics.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
The STOP feature does not always work. I know of a number of people who have had to ring up Jamster's customer service to remove them from their sms list and be charged a few £ for it to :(

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
if the stop feature doesnt work, then afaik they are breaking some rule/law/regulation. it states any premium text service MUST be able to be stopped by texting STOP to the number.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Funnily enough, yesterday I downloaded my first ever ringtone. Guess who from?
WELL I DIDNT KNOW DID I ????? :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Or you could just get a dock or cable to connect your phone to your computer and do your own ringtones. Or get someone to bluetooth you some.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ch3tan said:
Or you could just get a dock or cable to connect your phone to your computer and do your own ringtones. Or get someone to bluetooth you some.

Depends on
a. Your phone
b. Your network operator

When I had a Sony Ericsson on Vodafone I could get music/ringtones off my PC but the handset wouldn't allow it to be used as a ringtone (it just got stuck in my folders). On O2 I don't seem to have this problem, with a similar brand handset.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
And how are you supposed to hear the fucking phone when it rings then ? :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
All ringtones are shit. Silence is the best.
My homemade ringtones rule hardcore.

DJ Shadow/Orbital + Adobe Audition ftw.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Vodafone are using DRM on their re-branded phone softwae? How gay.

Clown

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
And how are you supposed to hear the fucking phone when it rings then ? :p
I don't need to hear it. It's always about my person.
I had my own ringtones - mp3, midi, but they're still shit.

FTW OMG FTW LOL FTW

Gray

FH is my second home
When i had my phone, it was generally always on Silent/Vibrate as i was usually working at the time, failing that, always on the lowest volume ringer

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Theres a thread in the mobiles forum for getting around the DRM stuff Ch3t.

I received a txt the other day, 'your free ringtone' and it said something about a push message? I just deleted the text. I haven't joined anything.

amobea

Fledgling Freddie
oh hell

who cares if you get ripped off when you can get the crazy frog techno remix!!!

hmmm, does anyone else remember the stupid flash thing the crazy frog sound was originally from????

SilverHood

FH is my second home
amobea said:
oh hell

who cares if you get ripped off when you can get the crazy frog techno remix!!!

hmmm, does anyone else remember the stupid flash thing the crazy frog sound was originally from????

Was on TV a while ago, a swedish guy immitating his souped up scooter. One thing led to another, and his friend used it in the frog animation seen on the web.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I remember it being just a picture of an F1 car and that sound played over the top on a loop. Initially quite dificult to listen to it more than twice without laughing. However now it just fills me with rage :\

amobea

Fledgling Freddie
when i first saw it was like what you said nath but it was a pic of a crappyily riced up old civic or something like that... possibly partially riced in Paint :)
My mates used to play it constantly, god i hated it, apparently after not hearing it for 4 years i've gotten over it though

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Lets hope that the Crazy Frog will be put to fucking bed for good.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Theres some sort of justice going on here: those stupid enough to inflict that damn noise on the world from their phones get hit with a nice big bill that'll make them think better of it next time.

Just a shame the typically toothless 'watchdog' hasnt enough power to fine Jamster more than a few hours profits :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom