Film Jack Reacher

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
T'was good. I've not read the books but my parents have and they thought it was good too - only thing they said was that they had to forget that he's supposed to be 6' 4" tall as Tom Cruise is not a tall bloke ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That's the big thing; one of Reacher's *things* is his physical size. I'm sure I'll enjoy it (I've seen relatively encouraging reviews) but I can't help feeling they could've found someone better to play the role, especially if they intend to make more films from the books*. Liam Neeson is the first name that pops into my head.

*It's odd that they've called it Reacher and not One Shot as per the book that it's from. Makes me wonder how they're going to name any following ones.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
There's some stuff on wikipedia about that:

"In July 2011, Cruise was in negotiations to play the role of Jack Reacher.[3] Author Lee Child said that it would be impossible to find a suitable actor to play the giant Reacher and to recreate the feel of the book onscreen, and that Cruise had the talent to make an effective Reacher.[4] Child also said, "Reacher's size in the books is a metaphor for an unstoppable force, which Cruise portrays in his own way."[5] Of Cruise's relatively small stature, Child said, "With another actor you might get 100% of the height but only 90% of Reacher. With Tom, you'll get 100% of Reacher with 90% of the height."[6]" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher_(film)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Except every film with Tom Cruise in makes you think "oh look, it's Tom Cruise"

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I'm not aware of the books, or even the character of Jack Reacher, and I do like Tom Cruise, so I will go and see this with open mind.

Reviews have been good so far I think, so hoping its gonna be entertaining

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I wonder if Child will leave specific physical characteristics out of his as-yet-unwritten books - Reacher's size is very unmetaphorical in all of the books; they explicitly say that he's 6'5" and built like a brick shithouse. The "unstoppable force" is directly derived from his size (there are things in the books that only a very big strong person could do). I can't help feeling that Child was told that Cruise will play the character and that's that.

Anyway, whatevs, it will still be a good film.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I wonder if Child will leave specific physical characteristics out of his as-yet-unwritten books - Reacher's size is very unmetaphorical in all of the books; they explicitly say that he's 6'5" and built like a brick shithouse. The "unstoppable force" is directly derived from his size (there are things in the books that only a very big strong person could do). I can't help feeling that Child was told that Cruise will play the character, he'll get paid a shit load and that's that.

Anyway, whatevs, it will still be a good film.
Fixed it for you :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah, that works. :)

"We're going to destroy the image of the character that you've spent the last 15 years creating but you're going to make a shit-ton of money. Every cloud and all that."

Last edited:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Impossible to find an actor that looks big enough. Has he not watched a Tom Hardy film maybe not tall enough but the guy is big and a good actor. I at least think he is physically intimidating.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ray Stevenson?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The guy who plays Gyp Rosetti is a scary mofo. He could have done it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Impossible to find an actor that looks big enough. Has he not watched a Tom Hardy film maybe not tall enough but the guy is big and a good actor. I at least think he is physically intimidating.
I just watched The Dark Knight Rises for the first time the other day and I reckon Hardy would be a great Jack Reacher if he could nail the accent. Hugh Laurie and Damian Lewis (less successfully imo) have pulled it off. Having said that; it's not like Reacher is big on talking.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Tom hardy is a short ass but they hid it well in dark knight

soze

I am a FH squatter
This would scare me more than Tom Cruise
Tom-Hardy-warrior.jpg

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Kylie is tiny, she's 5'2" but Cruise is 5'7", i'm 5'7" ffs and i wouldn't say i'm tiny

When people used to take the piss out of him being small, i always envisaged he was around 5'3" ish.

So are we to assume that all Hollywood stars are 6'3" and over, meaning by their terms he is small?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I just watched The Dark Knight Rises for the first time the other day and I reckon Hardy would be a great Jack Reacher if he could nail the accent. Hugh Laurie and Damian Lewis (less successfully imo) have pulled it off. Having said that; it's not like Reacher is big on talking.

Sorry, you think Hugh Laurie has a good American accent? Its weird and awful. Strangely, Damien Lewis did a better American accent in Band of Brothers than he does in Homeland. NB. Tom Hardy does an OK American (southern) accent in Lawless.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just checked it ...Ray Stevenson is 6'4" and was great in Dexter amongst other stuff :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saw it today, thoroughly enjoyed it, have read every single Reacher book and thought I would be disappointed throughout. I wasn't, I think Cruise is ok but I just wanted a meatier taller bloke that looks down on people.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Not seen the film but would have liked Javier Bardem for the part.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
5'7" isn't tiny. Shortish. What's the UK average height anyway? 5'9? Cruise wears lifts tho, doesn't he? They give, what? 2 inches? 5'2" on the otherhand is pretty small - fine for a lass - petite & cute, not size 18

I'm 6'7". Every internal doorway in my house is too low and my wife's friends giggle at me.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Cruise cannot be 5'7'' they're lying. Both latest wives have towered over him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom