WTF? ITV Player

opticle

Part of the furniture
How is it so incredibly, absolutely, utterly wank compared to iPlayer and 4OD?

Why has no one recognised this and done something about it?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Utter shite isn't it? Even Demand5 beats it and they have no money.

opticle

Part of the furniture
Aye. The performance is so sporadic it defies all logic, sometimes it will have to rebuffer every 2 seconds, making it unwatchable, then for no reason at all suddenly it will work without fault for a while.. then start rebuffering repeatedly again..

Odd.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The part I like is if it crashes and you try to skip forward, have to watch a set of ads for each part you skip :)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I only had a play for a few minutes when it first came onto PS3. The experience was enough to put me off forever.

I got some mail spam from Sky the other day that they're going to integrate iPlayer, ITVplayer and Demand5 into the Skybox alongside their own VOD offering. I can't even be bothered to plug the ethernet lead in, let alone set up my account to use Anytime+.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I only had a play for a few minutes when it first came onto PS3. The experience was enough to put me off forever.

I got some mail spam from Sky the other day that they're going to integrate iPlayer, ITVplayer and Demand5 into the Skybox alongside their own VOD offering. I can't even be bothered to plug the ethernet lead in, let alone set up my account to use Anytime+.

Ha! You're spoiled. Over here we get 4OD (but with bits missing), RTE Player (which is technically OK but the content is shite), and 3Player, which is technically even poorer than ITV Player. No iPlayer at all (unless I buy an iPad and a subscription - I don't mind paying a sub but fuck the iPad), and no Anytime+ even though my Sky subscription is more expensive than the same sub in the UK. No Lovefilm, no Blinkbox, no Demand5. And they wonder why people pirate stuff....

Chilly

Balls of steel
Ha! You're spoiled. Over here we get 4OD (but with bits missing), RTE Player (which is technically OK but the content is shite), and 3Player, which is technically even poorer than ITV Player. No iPlayer at all (unless I buy an iPad and a subscription - I don't mind paying a sub but fuck the iPad), and no Anytime+ even though my Sky subscription is more expensive than the same sub in the UK. No Lovefilm, no Blinkbox, no Demand5. And they wonder why people pirate stuff....
Proper stone age over there!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Bit off topic, but relating to adverts, I wonder if the price of putting adverts on TV has gone down since the release of Sky+ and stuff.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
...and the fact that most people pay no attention to them anyway!

Not tried ITV Player, there isn't anything on ITV to watch.

DaGaffer

Bit off topic, but relating to adverts, I wonder if the price of putting adverts on TV has gone down since the release of Sky+ and stuff.

Yes it has, volume and yield are both well down over the last five years or so. Google UK now makes more money from advertising than ITV. Funnily enough, ads in the ITV player (and other players of this type), are fucking expensive, certainly way more than other types of banner advertising.

opticle

Part of the furniture
ITV player does force adverts on you in a pretty painful manner. Saying that, it was fucking up on me so much last night that it kept skipping the adverts :D

Can you not use a proxy to watch iPlayer ? Pretty sure my brother does that from China.. maybe not for iPlayer but something else (?maybe his flatmate does it for some of the online US channels)

I am forever baffled by the amount of money companies will pay to advertise things - I'm sure it reaches/affects a tiny proportion of people compared to the importance they seem to give it (?historical)

A problem with big companies these days is that you're screwed unless you're an established name - small guys can't get a look in, and no one would pay attention anyway. Big companies are always afraid of the competition "being noticed" more by consumers such that they're forgotten/viewed to have fallen behind - and so they pay ridiculous sums ?out of paranoia.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I only pay attention if adverts are funny and even then I only buy them if I want the item and its better quality/price than the competition.

DaGaffer

Can you not use a proxy to watch iPlayer ? Pretty sure my brother does that from China.. maybe not for iPlayer but something else (?maybe his flatmate does it for some of the online US channels)

Yes, yes I can ;) (actually a VPN).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I need to look into VPN's, have been saying I will do it for a while now.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We al pay attention to adverts, it's not about making you spot something and going out to buy it, they are subtly brainwashing the masses to influence them on the day they are in the shops and familiar branding fires up the 'friends' part of the brain, it's all worked out and they're not idiots. though times are hard and our local Aldi is rammed these days , but of course Aldi copy all the packaging, i don't know how they get away with it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We al pay attention to adverts, it's not about making you spot something and going out to buy it, they are subtly brainwashing the masses to influence them on the day they are in the shops and familiar branding fires up the 'friends' part of the brain, it's all worked out and they're not idiots. though times are hard and our local Aldi is rammed these days , but of course Aldi copy all the packaging, i don't know how they get away with it.

No one will sue Aldi, they have too much money to be fucked with, the Albrecht brothers are scary rich and have alot of powerful friends in the E.U. both in the commission and in the parliament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom