WTF? Its Not

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The union jack ppl are waving its the Union Flag

Thought the broadcasters would get it right

Grrrrr

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Such a common complaint, generally made by boring old fuckers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I went though school being told it was the Union Jack. It was not until last year at 28 that someone told me it was only the Union Jack while on a ship.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I went though school being told it was the Union Jack. It was not until last year at 28 that someone told me it was only the Union Jack while on a ship.

Was it a naval school you went to by any chance? ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
People also have it up-side down half the time.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Who gives a fuck really?

The whole "it's the union flag ffs" thing only started happening a few years ago when enough of the population realised they were wrong, after being told by the BBC, and then immediately turned into pedants and started ramming it down everyone else's throats like they knew all along.

I've always called it the Union Jack, fully aware that it's actually the Union Flag, but also aware that Union Jack is a much better name. I now also get to tell pedants to fuck off when they "correct" me.

But really. Who gives a fuck. :)

rynnor

Rockhound
If the nation has been calling it the Union Jack for decades (which they have) what does it matter what the original term was for?

Edit - in general I think pedantry is indulged in by people who lack original intelligence but want to sound smart.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
If the nation has been calling it the Union Jack for decades (which they have) what does it matter what the original term was for?

Edit - in general I think pedantry is indulged in by people who lack original intelligence but want to sound smart.

yea like those nutters who expect children to write exams papers in english nt txt spk lul.

MADNESS !

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
yea like those nutters who expect children to write exams papers in english nt txt spk lul.

Experience has taught me that the class of people obsessed with "correct" nationalism are much more likely to be foreign-hating fail-readers and skinheaded members of the national front than the class of people who actively don't give a fuck.

I don't give a stuff about this country. Not one little bit. It's probably because I understand the epic futility of nationalism and how such thinking holds the entire human species back :)

rynnor

Rockhound

MADNESS !

I see - you still write electronic mail not email now then?

Language is for the communication of ideas - those who worry about the form rather than the content clearly have nothing to say.

Mabs

I see - you still write electronic mail not email now then?

Language is for the communication of ideas - those who worry about the form rather than the content clearly have nothing to say.

words & phrases change slowly, over time, its always happened particularly with "cutting edge" development stuff
changing all of them, overnight, no

learn the difference :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Also, if you hang the Union Flag the wrong way around, it's a huge insult - true story.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I suspect if I refer to it as the Union Flag people will just ask to clarify that I mean the Union Jack.

So. I'll just keep calling it the Union Jack.

Mabs

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't it symmetrical? o_O

its often drawn that way by lazy / ignorant people because it is very recognisable and unique it wont be confused with something that is symetrical so most people dont bother

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Experience has taught me that the class of people obsessed with "correct" nationalism are much more likely to be foreign-hating fail-readers and skinheaded members of the national front than the class of people who actively don't give a fuck.

On the other hand, you'd still expect the state organ of communication to get it right.

Also, if you hang the Union Flag the wrong way around, it's a huge insult - true story.

Insult to who exactly? Flag makers? Bats?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I don't give a stuff about this country. Not one little bit. It's probably because I understand the epic futility of nationalism and how such thinking holds the entire human species back :)
your experience is wrong then :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
MOsPO.gif

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If you are going to fly it upside down you may as well fly the stars and stripes upside down. It's not like its hard to spot the difference. Anyway, blame the Irish, it was perfectly symmetrical before they were added to the United Kingdom.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
your experience is wrong then :p

How can experience be wrong?

It's unconditional. It's what actually happens.
the dickshunaree said:
re·al
adjective
.existing or occurring as fact; actual rather than imaginary, ideal, or fictitious

The type of people who fly the flag in all the areas I've lived in tend to be skinheaded fucktards with chav children, those stupid tiny scooters that make a racket but otherwise serve no purpose and a penchant for hating pakis.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom