Issue with Linksys Router

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Hi, have this problem that has been bugging me for a while now (googled already, but useless) - I have a Linksys Wireless 54G Router, it's about 3-4 years old. I can connect to the router via 192.168.1.1 and I can access a console where I can PING or TRACEROUTE stuff, so I PINGED google and got 4 replies, if I check windows it shows the status as LOCAL and excellent strength....So any idea why no-one in my house can use the internet as it's been working fine for years? I've even reset the thing to factory defaults.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If the router is still working and people can't connect, try this.

Settings --> Control Panel --> Network Connections.

Right click on the appropriate network, goto properties. In there, you'll note a client box ticked and your internet protocol TCP/IP ticked as well.

Untick both of these, click okay and wait for a few seconds. Then go back in and re-tick them.

It's surprising how many network issues it fixes. The problem is that recently there was some really weird worldwide bug where a large portion of routers had a funny turn and returned corrupted addresses to all computers on the network. This simply gets rid of that address and puts back in a new one.

If they're running Vista, it's a similar thing whereby you'll have to search around to find the ivp4 and ivp6 addresses but once there, do the same thing. Untick them, click ok and go back in and retick them.

Let me know if it works or not.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
I'm gonna give that a try tonight, many thanks. :) Fingers crossed it works, really don't wanna buy another router as I'm strapped for cash!

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
Sounds like a Stale Session to me. Reboot the router if that doesnt work contact ur ISP and get them to do a session kill.

Check to make sure ur getting SYNC (sounds like you are to me if u can ping google) thus my conclusion of a stale session.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Hey, sorry I got it working for now.

I found that I had to reset the router by holding the button around the back for 15s or so, and then boot it back up into defualt settings, then I had to setup the WPA stuff and it's all working fine now - I found that if the power gets cut off and then gets plugged back in, the internet stops on the machines but still works on the router, anyway thankfully so far just leaving the thing on seems to work - I tried what you said Kir and it didnt seem todo anything, it was worth a try though! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom