Question ISP recommendations

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Run fucking linux then if you're such a tin foiler. You do know android and iOS are worse, right?

Save yourself 50 quid, ditch the virgin box (who also slurp everything you watch/do) and get a decent PC with Kodi on it and stop fucking whining and be happy with life?

Or, of course, keep windows 10 running on a slow ass old PC and whine about having the worst of both worlds - through your own choice...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually cos the wifi wont reach the conservatory, I use my Vodafone 4G to stream in the TV there....full bars anywhere in the house from a cellsite 500 yards away. meanwhile WIFI wont go 40ft.
User error again.

You're really bad at computers.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Its the catchup thats bad, iPlayer through virgin is just beyond horrendous, I think they must have one access point and about 20 seperate scripts, it buffers, drops out to 1080..720, telly hunts for hdmi, then it appears, buffers for another minute, starts playing, the stutters for 30 seconds, if you foolishly try to speed through it just freezes.
Meanwhile iplayer on my Kodi box, is instant start and instant time search.
The Youtube channel is pretty well unusable, it takes a good 5 minutes to get a video up, which then buffers like fuck, all the vids play at 480 in a small box, the search is like swimming through treacle.
You tube app on Kodi is as fast as you could possibly want it, 1080 full screen.
An android Kodi box with write to disk would shit all over virgins entire TV network.
Iplayer is pretty much instantaneous for me now.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What you are saying is I should upgrade so that my PC can run all the telemetry, spyware and update bloat that microshite have infested windoze with, if I shut it all down the PC runs like a dream...you know, like it should, not for the fucking financial advantage of microshite so they can use my electricity and my cpu for their own processes.
The OS should sit in the background and do OS stuff, like run programs, connect peripherals and thats fucking it.
But no, microshite have deemed their OS to be the lord of your computer, they force updates, run spyware..in fact bit by bit they are determined to make you a guest at your own PC.
If youre happy with that fine, keep upgrading as they update and add more shit for themselves.
As Im typing another reminder for the update which will probably finish off this PC, I opted for mobile so dont download..it did anyway, they just fucking ignored that...trying to find out how to delete the download...fucking, fucking cunts.

Cunt yerself.

LMGTFY

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well duh..dickhead..if youd read my post ive allready done that..but they decided to ignore that and download it anyway.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
No they don't. I disabled updates on mine and manually download cumulative updates when they're released and mine doesn't download a single one in between.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And who cares if you use an android or apple phone anyway? Microsoft are light-touch compared to pretty much every other company out there.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Or just let them update as and when, because, you know, they make fuck all difference to performance anyway.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well duh..dickhead..if youd read my post ive allready done that..but they decided to ignore that and download it anyway.

Well quite obviously you haven't. 'dickhead'.

Job

I disabled updates and ticked mobile only when it first came out....no problem...then they just casualky decided to ignore that and force it anyway...becayse they have an effective monopoly and dont give a shit.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Had power fitted to our huge shed (5m x 3m) or as the mrs calls it 'summer house'. So just fitted ethernet power adapters, works great.

As for ISP's all I can say is EE are pants 20Mbps best they can do for me in Flamouth. BT were fucking useless when trying to get an appointment to install, how we ended up with EE :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The inlaws tried to get Virgin. Got given a date for installation. They didn't bother turning up, then told them they would have to wait 2 weeks for another installation date.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Had power fitted to our huge shed (5m x 3m) or as the mrs calls it 'summer house'. So just fitted ethernet power adapters, works great.

As for ISP's all I can say is EE are pants 20Mbps best they can do for me in Flamouth. BT were fucking useless when trying to get an appointment to install, how we ended up with EE :(
BT own EE now....

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Most people use open-reach to install/maintain...which is BT. Yeah, the government tried to split it or whatever a few years ago but its still BT.

They probably have a different shelf in the canteen fridge or whatever.

Job

They put up wall dividers in the offices and told people who had been work friends for decades that they couldnt talk to each other in working hours.
They even asked them not to discuss work in their own time...it was all about impartiality for contracts.

Job

So Apple left root access for administrator with no password reqd if you didnt set one.
Bit of a cock up easily fixed...their advice to users was hilarious..dont let your computer out of your sight.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So Apple left root access for administrator with no password reqd if you didnt set one.
Bit of a cock up easily fixed...their advice to users was hilarious..dont let your computer out of your sight.
Actually the quick fix until a patch is out is to simply set a root password. Simples.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually the quickest fix is to get all apple products and carefully place them in landfill.

Then get a grown up device.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thanks for all the input fellow Freddies :)

Yeah, I have to admit I'm really starting to miss the old Telewest days. I don't really want a phone line but where we are it is a necessary evil. I did chuck my details over to Hyperoptic on the vague chance they might have had some interest out this way but unfortunately not :(
Interestingly this sort of stuff was what started to get me in a mess with all of this. It seems now that a number of the ISP's charge an additional fee for what appears on the surface to be no more than upping your BT line profile. I suppose at least Sky have the decency to say "if the profile doesn't work, we won't charge you for it" which is certainly lacking elsewhere.

I've opted for TalkTalk in the end. I was leaning towards Sky and getting back their TV because we've got a communal dish at our place but the prices still seem completely insane to me for what is mostly repeating or rubbish content. What won me over in the end was that when I switched my Mum to TalkTalk I was really impressed by the YouView experience (specifically the search covering live & IPTV). All in all this lets me keep our fibre costs pretty reasonable and I've chucked on some extra family channels. I'm keen on getting away from using a bog standard "ISP" router as well and TalkTalk are pretty open about you being able to use your own one to suit. The current trend of all these things not being wall mountable and being designed to sit on a coffee table is awful imho and actually I think the only thing I might miss about SSE is the one box wall mountable Thompson router they use. I keep looking at DrayTek stuff at the moment but I'll see how I go as they're a fair chunk of change.

Anyway, all in all be prepared for my "OMG t3h H0rr0R" post sometime mid-December should I regret all this :D
So, it turns out that TalkTalk > SSE [Daisy]

Still in the initial "sync" phase but already the download speeds are back to where they were when I was on PlusNet. I'm finally back to getting steady 6MB/s on Steam even over the powerline adapters I have at home. Bonuses of no extra charges for caller ID and the like on the landline plus the YouView box was dead simple to get up and running. Hardest part was finding the right code for making their remote work my TV because the instructions are only on the TalkTalk website.

Other good news is apparently they are working on Multiroom at the moment, which if it comes along would be really awesome as it would mean back to a life of one remote for most stuff.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I love my iPhone 7+

Eat my shite.

They are good aren't they. I'm going to upgrade from my 5S that I've had forever, soon. But, on a slightly annoying note: Two friends raving over their Iphone X - when being asked over dinner what it actually does, and if it does anything special: "Facial recognition"....

Tools.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I had a play with the X, didn’t like it, preferred the 8+

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom