ISP needs port numbers

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
hi there i use plus.net as my ISP and of late my latancy has gone up when i contacted my isp they said they could solve it by adding the game signiture(ie all ports used) to the gaming service.

so if any one can tell what the ports are so far i think they are
80 tcp
1280 tcp
10500 to 10509 tcp
10622 to 10624tcp
-----------------------------
10622 udp
1280 udp

not sure if there any more but if any can advise me please do so

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Think all that info is buried in the right-now FAQs somewhere.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Question
How do you play with a router/firewall/proxy ?

Answer
To play with a router/firewall/proxy, you have to :

In TCP :
Open the IP class : 193.252.123.xxx
Open the ports : 1280, 10500, 10501, 10502, 10503, 10504, 10622, 10623, 10624.

In UDP :
All of the ports UDP must be opened.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
From experience, if the UDP ports are blocked, it makes zoning really slow, but doesn't otherwise seem to have any effect, so probably not worth trying to prioritise that traffic.

Darzil

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
The only ports you need open for daoc are

Game Server - TCP 10622
Patch Server - TCP 1280
Login Server - TCP 10500

And finally UDP - 33625

That is the only ports you will need, trust me :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Penlid said:
Question
How do you play with a router/firewall/proxy ?

Answer
To play with a router/firewall/proxy, you have to :

In TCP :
Open the IP class : 193.252.123.xxx
Open the ports : 1280, 10500, 10501, 10502, 10503, 10504, 10622, 10623, 10624.

In UDP :
All of the ports UDP must be opened.

GimmlyTheDorf said:
The only ports you need open for daoc are

Game Server - TCP 10622
Patch Server - TCP 1280
Login Server - TCP 10500

And finally UDP - 33625

That is the only ports you will need, trust me :)

Repped :)

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
The ports recently changed so the ones in the 4 year old rightnow documents are worthless, but mine are 100% correct ofc :)

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
GimmlyTheDorf said:
The ports recently changed so the ones in the 4 year old rightnow documents are worthless, but mine are 100% correct ofc :)
thats what i like to hear :) ty and repped

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
I have just moved from Plusnet to Demon. I got tired of waiting for Plusnet to sort it out, they have the port numbers I posted them on their forums and one of their techies confirmed that were looking into it, that was 2 weeks ago.

The day I connected with Demon all my lag went. If you want my advice, move from Plusnet and do it quick. Fortunately I hadn't been moved from BT to Tiscali LLU by them so it was easy to do, if you find yourself moved to Tiscali you'll find it difficult to move away from Plusnet.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo said:
I have just moved from Plusnet to Demon. I got tired of waiting for Plusnet to sort it out, they have the port numbers I posted them on their forums and one of their techies confirmed that were looking into it, that was 2 weeks ago.

The day I connected with Demon all my lag went. If you want my advice, move from Plusnet and do it quick. Fortunately I hadn't been moved from BT to Tiscali LLU by them so it was easy to do, if you find yourself moved to Tiscali you'll find it difficult to move away from Plusnet.

i got a reply from them witch works but it sucks tbh

plusnet reply said:
This has meant that relatively more customers are on the 2 routers in Telehouse East thus causing the ADSL connection to run "hot" either at or very near to full capacity.

Please perform a traceroute to www.plus.net and look at the traceroute, you should see either hop 1 or hop 2 will be something that looks like lo0-plusnet.pte-ag1.plus.net. This tells you which router you are connected to, in the above case it is pte-ag1 which is AGgregation router 1 in Telehouse East. As this is one of the servers that is currently running near capacity, if you see pte-ag 1 or 2 in the traceroute then I recommend that you disconnect your ADSL and reconnect a few times until you get onto one of the routers at Telehouse North (these will either be ptn-ag 1 ptn-ag2 or thn-ag1).

Once you have confirmed you are no longer on pte routers then please try again and let us know if you still experience problems.

sounds fair enough but i have had to spend over an hour trying to get the nice server, and i'm guessing when i end up getting disconnected by them at some point ill have to spend another hour. so i'll be thinking about moving shame as i have a lot to do with them at work.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Thats a funny reply from Plusnet. Basically admitting their network is overloaded and they can't do anything about it. I can't believe you are a saying "sounds fair enough".

I used to disconnect and reconnect like they said trying to get a good connection but I found that even connecting to Plusnet was difficult. I would always get an error, I can remember the evening I finally gave up on them, it took me 2 hours just to connect to them and then playing a game was impossible.

Since I moved from them all my problems have gone. It's a shame, I was with them 6 years and upto a few months ago I would have recommended them to anybody as a good isp. Not anymore.

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
If they are asking customers to reconnect until they get a good router that isn't over loaded means they are broke and won't be around much longer at this rate.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
GimmlyTheDorf said:
If they are asking customers to reconnect until they get a good router that isn't over loaded means they are broke and won't be around much longer at this rate.

You an internet expert all of a sudden, eh Gimmly?

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Jupitus said:
You an internet expert all of a sudden, eh Gimmly?
Well my whole career and qualifications is networking so I guess I am :) , but it doesn't take a brain to work out that when a company asks customers to reconnect to get a different router that it is pretty much down the pan.

Even you could see that Jup xD

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
GimmlyTheDorf said:
Well my whole career and qualifications is networking so I guess I am :) , but it doesn't take a brain to work out that when a company asks customers to reconnect to get a different router that it is pretty much down the pan.

Even you could see that Jup xD
According to your profile, you are 18 years old. What 'career' is this then?

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
chretien said:
According to your profile, you are 18 years old. What 'career' is this then?
The career I am studying in uni and the career I have Cisco qualifications for and the career I worked this year when I wasn't at uni and the career and the career I have been researching and playing with since I had a computer all those years ago?, that career.

I could have easily skipped uni and carried on a job full time for 40k annually in Cornwall.

What is you're career? Frying burgers at Mac Donald’s and browsing FH?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
GimmlyTheDorf said:
What is you're career? Frying burgers at Mac Donald’s and browsing FH?

... and you must be a total expert in full time emplyment yourself now, I guess :)

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
gimmly whats with the insulting ppl at McD's, alot of ppl dont have any sort of career at the age of 18 so chretein was probally assuming you were still in school, afterall its not like everyone can afford todo a ccna/ccne course which on average will set you back bout £3000.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
selling radar on ebay pays for all sorts of things these days it seems

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Coolan said:
gimmly whats with the insulting ppl at McD's, alot of ppl dont have any sort of career at the age of 18 so chretein was probally assuming you were still in school, afterall its not like everyone can afford todo a ccna/ccne course which on average will set you back bout £3000.
Cornwall College paid for mine free and my 2 A levels and I got UCAS funding for Uni, you don't even need a lot of qualifications these days just A levels or grade A-Cs GCSEs and to know you're shit. I have seen a CCNA certified network admin ruin a network, it really doesn't prove shit these days you can memorize the books on TCP Protocols and Network Routing before you sit the exam if you wanted to and maybe pass.

Raven said:
selling radar on ebay pays for all sorts of things these days it seems
Get over you're self mate I sold radar when I was 16 2 years ago for some extra drinking money, were you even around back then?

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
Dont need to memorise the books to pass, did my whilst i was still in school they paid for my ccna, ccne, also did my IT GNVQ and A-level computing.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo said:
Thats a funny reply from Plusnet. Basically admitting their network is overloaded and they can't do anything about it. I can't believe you are a saying "sounds fair enough".
meant the reason behind the latency was explained in email so fair enough for the reason (ie they need more stuffage to handle there stuff)

oh and btw
has a 1st BSc in internet computing
mphil in forensic computing
PHD in progress (cyberprofiling and cybercrime)

papers published in internationals journals

and 40k is a small salary i'm on more that that while being and RA(research assistant).

plus net are giving very bad service at the moment. but like i said before i have a lot to do with them at work and i can assure u they will not go out of bussiness

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
thergador said:
meant the reason behind the latency was explained in email so fair enough for the reason (ie they need more stuffage to handle there stuff)

oh and btw
has a 1st BSc in internet computing
mphil in forensic computing
PHD in progress (cyberprofiling and cybercrime)

papers published in internationals journals

and 40k is a small salary i'm on more that that while being and RA(research assistant).

plus net are giving very bad service at the moment. but like i said before i have a lot to do with them at work and i can assure u they will not go out of bussiness

I didn't say they were going out of business and question your credentials, but I know you were replying to another post and not mine. Just wanted to clear that up.

I am in the same situation as you. I recommended Plusnet along with other people at work that they were the ISP to go with for work internet access. I was also getting a nice discount every month from people I had referred to Plusnet. But there comes a time, that when you are paying £20 for internet access and paying for 2 DAoC accounts each month that if you can't play the game then you have to look elsewhere.

I am sure Plusnet will work through their current problems, they obviously have a capacity issue at the moment that they are trying to sort out and I am sure they will. However I do beleive Plusnet's perfect customer are those that just browse the web, get their email and download the occasional file. At the moment I don't think gamers are high on the priority, if they were then they would have sorted out the gaming issues with their network by now.

Incidently the issue I was getting, I don't know if yours was the same, that yes there was consistently high ping times. But at other times I got a lot of fluctuating ping times, 1 second it would be 20ms then it would jump to 100ms then back to 20ms and so on. It just didn't seem consistent. And the upshot was the it wasn't the Ping indicator showing lag in the game, but the Packet Loss indicator showing lag. Anyway I have moved ISP and it has all disappeared so I am happy.

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Coolan said:
Dont need to memorise the books to pass, did my whilst i was still in school they paid for my ccna, ccne, also did my IT GNVQ and A-level computing.
Not what I was saying I was saying anyone these days can pass by memorising the books even if they don't have a clue on subject so it doesn't mean shit. Yea pretty much the same for me, I did my IT double award GNVQ in school and ICT A level double with my networking in college.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Gimmly got knocked back by McD's hence the hatred?

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
How is it going with Plusnet these days? Have the problems being sorted yet.

Just logged into the User Forum on the portal to have a look (although I am no longer with Plusnet you get 60 days to still log in) and all I can see are threads with headers

How low can Plusnet go?
PlusNet are thieves.
Internet connection crawling...
No service for 5 weeks now.
If you get bad pings post here !!!
Speed Issues on ALL Gateways
Websites unavailable but after a few retries they work?

and it goes on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom