is this wrong?

Laddey

FH is my second home
So, a dog is on its death bed. Very good family dog for many years.

Has something wrong with it, and its due to die soon.

So the bloke takes it out on a nice stroll with the pack, then the dog is looking off the end of a cliff and he shoots it once, resulting in killing it.

had a nice last image off a cliff, seaside etc etc. Didn't know it was coming although it knew it was dying. Putting it out of its misery.

Is this wrong?

Xrystofer

Resident Freddy
would you "put out of his misery" your family members ?
i think not , so why the dog then ?

Laddey

FH is my second home
For the record this isn't me shooting dogs. Lulz

Good point, although i'd like to go suddenly rather than going to the hospital and just waiting to die. The dog would of been taken to the vets and put to sleep.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
I'm guessing this method was chosen since it's cheaper than paying a vet.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
In same ways I think it's better than the trauma that the dog may feel going to the vets.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Ive taken all my pets to the vet when their time is due. My cousin tried to shoot his cat when it was old and ill and blind, still took 4 shots to kill it. So easy to mess things up when shooting an animal, and just prolonging its pain.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing wrong with your story Laddey

Laddey

FH is my second home
In same ways I think it's better than the trauma that the dog may feel going to the vets.
We agree on something!
Ive taken all my pets to the vet when their time is due. My cousin tried to shoot his cat when it was old and ill and blind, still took 4 shots to kill it. So easy to mess things up when shooting an animal, and just prolonging its pain.

Yeah i agree, totally. I guess it has its pros and cons.

Surely a shotgun to the back of its head would make sure or am i playing to much COD

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Surely a shotgun to the back of its head would make sure or am i playing to much COD

May be, it doesn't leave the lasting memory that you wished for :(

But then again if you play FPS shooters, fire away lol

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Some say a violent unexpected death is the worst way to go.

Some say they want to save the dog the misery and pain.

Some would say that's easier for everyone.

I say that i like natures way, animals go somewhere, curl up and die on their own terms. Was it in africa that the elephants went to their own place to die? Can't remember. Anyway, that's how i would/have handle(d) it.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
would you "put out of his misery" your family members ?
i think not , so why the dog then ?

have you ever seen someone suffering from a terminal illness who is actually in so much physical pain they can't function at all and the high doses of morphine?

I don't see why we let people suffer like that or pets tbh

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
have you ever seen someone suffering from a terminal illness who is actually in so much physical pain they can't function at all and the high doses of morphine?

I don't see why we let people suffer like that or pets tbh

Off chance they get better? Those things have happened.

Also with humans, people know, from earlier talks or from the patient themselves, if they want to be kept alive.

If they want to hold on to life as long as possible, their choice.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I've tried the do it your self method with our pet "white bunny rabit" about a year back or so..I seriously cannot reccomend it.

how ever it was late at night and the rabit was clearly suffering, I thought it wouldnt affect me, as I was the one least attached, and after all it's just a rabbit right.. ?

I was wrong, I live with it, and I'm fine with it.
but I'm not repeating that deed anytime soon.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
I say that i like natures way, animals go somewhere, curl up and die on their own terms. Was it in africa that the elephants went to their own place to die? Can't remember. Anyway, that's how i would/have handle(d) it.

So does that mean that you also won´t give your pets medicine when it´s ill? Or let the vet treat it when it´s injured? Because that´s natures way...

It´s a pet´s privilege to be released from it´s pain when the time has come. You´re responsible to take care of it when it´s alive and you´re responsible to make the final decision when it´s terminally ill. The off chance of a spontaneous self-healing is no justification for letting it suffer all the way through. But of yourse, that´s just my opinion.

As for DIY...
I wouldn´t and couldn´t do it. Regardless of what may go wrong at the vet (they usually just fall asleep, I´ve seen it a couple of times), it´s nothing compared to what can go wrong when you´re trying it yourself and fail.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Nothing wrong with that, all i'd say is you should probably take it to the vets instead.

I agree with euthanasia aswell

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its probably less traumatic than the whole drama at the vets. Though if caught you are liable to lose your gun license and the right to look after animals I imagine.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
what's the problem? it's old and sick, so throw it under someones car and then sue them.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So does that mean that you also won´t give your pets medicine when it´s ill? Or let the vet treat it when it´s injured? Because that´s natures way...

Since you disclaimed this with a "my opinion", i'll let it slide, but answer still;

Healing and making better is not same as putting it out of it's misery and i'll leave the answer as simple as that.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
There are many many situations when euthanasia can be applied, whether in relation to people or animals. I have absolutely no problem in admitting that I myself have killed a wild rabbit, unfortunately with my boot but sadly there was no better tool as it was in the middle of a field. I was walking along and saw it sitting at the side of a path with a lot of flies hovering around so I thought it was dead... then its head turned. Its coat was thin and withering, one eye was filled with maggots, the other white... it was definitely still alive but in an atrocious condition.

It's not a nice thing to have to do but still... try and tell me I did the wrong thing...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just want to clarify before someone calls me some or other, i never said it's wrong.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Got to fear the thor* though!

Or whatever mumbo jumbo* you pretend to believe in

Dude with pretend lightening etc and a funny hat.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
God I was shit faced last night. Sorry

soze

I am a FH squatter
I could not do it your last image of your pet would be the result of the gun shot. While i think putting them out of their misery is right i could not do it myself.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I could not do it your last image of your pet would be the result of the gun shot. While i think putting them out of their misery is right i could not do it myself.

thats exactly how I think, I mean when Pookster was so ill it was aweful seeing her like that and we went straight to the vets, turned out she was going when she was good and ready and beat the vet to it which was a lot nicer than having to actually 'give the go ahead' as it were.

Although saying I could never do it is something I am unsure of, I mean if something horrible happened and it was either leave the animal in dire pain and suffering while waiting for a vet to come so I didn't have to have that image of killing them I'd still be left with the image of me allowing them to suffer and tbh that would be the ultimate betrayal (imo anyway, it's my job to do the best for them) so if I could bring myself to do it I hope that I would be strong enough and put them first.

But I can totally understand people not being able to bring themselves to do it, I don't know if I could and it would only be when there was no other option...I hope it never comes to it tbh.

nightmare.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
There are many many situations when euthanasia can be applied, whether in relation to people or animals. I have absolutely no problem in admitting that I myself have killed a wild rabbit, unfortunately with my boot but sadly there was no better tool as it was in the middle of a field. I was walking along and saw it sitting at the side of a path with a lot of flies hovering around so I thought it was dead... then its head turned. Its coat was thin and withering, one eye was filled with maggots, the other white... it was definitely still alive but in an atrocious condition.

It's not a nice thing to have to do but still... try and tell me I did the wrong thing...
Well when it comes to a wild animal that sick i think its best just to do it there and then, not subject it to the stress of human handling and perhaps a long transportation.

thats exactly how I think, I mean when Pookster was so ill it was aweful seeing her like that and we went straight to the vets, turned out she was going when she was good and ready and beat the vet to it which was a lot nicer than having to actually 'give the go ahead' as it were.

Although saying I could never do it is something I am unsure of, I mean if something horrible happened and it was either leave the animal in dire pain and suffering while waiting for a vet to come so I didn't have to have that image of killing them I'd still be left with the image of me allowing them to suffer and tbh that would be the ultimate betrayal (imo anyway, it's my job to do the best for them) so if I could bring myself to do it I hope that I would be strong enough and put them first.

But I can totally understand people not being able to bring themselves to do it, I don't know if I could and it would only be when there was no other option...I hope it never comes to it tbh.

nightmare.
So what will you do when the BF sick, the needle or shotgun? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom