Photography Is this person any good?

opticle

Part of the furniture
And he looks like a wizard/paedophile/evil nintendo character.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Big G said:
It's taking business away from those that do a good job (yes Tom, boo hoo to them :) ) and creating a bad reputation for the whole industry as a result. I'd hate wedding photographers to be up there with Lawyers and Bankers.
taking business isn't a reality though, they're competing and if people are stupid enough to part with their money for a crap photographer then that's down to them, no?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Absolutely. However, it's easy to throw together a 'portfolio' of your best work and use that as a marketing tool to say "here's what I am capable of", but lack of experience on a difficult photographic assignment can shine through with all but the best being able to pull it off. You only see their best shots, never the ones that people didn't like. Picking the right wedding photographer is a total minefield.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Absolutely. However, it's easy to throw together a 'portfolio' of your best work and use that as a marketing tool to say "here's what I am capable of", but lack of experience on a difficult photographic assignment can shine through with all but the best being able to pull it off. You only see their best shots, never the ones that people didn't like. Picking the right wedding photographer is a total minefield.
Out of interest how do you rate this guy? http://www.guycollierphotography.com/ Check out his gallery/portfoilo....

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
not bad, after flicking through a wedding. I've done a few weddings in my time and tbh they're tough.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, definitely. One chance, event of a lifetime, the pressure is high.

The best thing you can do for wedding photography is capture moments and not get stuck in the routine of posed default shots. I think he's done well in capturing those moments, and technically they're not bad either.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Weddings are difficult, which is why I steer clear of them (video-wise). My mate got married a few years back and expressly forbade video cameras, which makes sense seeing as he's in the same line of work as me.

So I took along a DSLR, no lights, nothing. He didn't want a photographer either, just informal shots, so that's all I did. I struggled, but out of a couple of hundred images it only takes a few to make it worthwhile.

7047578021_3573f89f6b_c.jpg

There's no lighting there, just a lot of gain and me pointing the camera in the right direction at the right moment.

Chilly

Balls of steel
It's the same with picking any contractor/service provider. You can either do it properly and research the market, ask mates for recommendations or you can trust their marketing spiel and get taken. It's entirely up to you.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Word of mouth is probably the most important, you don't want an arrogant twat for your day.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Weddings are difficult, which is why I steer clear of them (video-wise). My mate got married a few years back and expressly forbade video cameras, which makes sense seeing as he's in the same line of work as me.

So I took along a DSLR, no lights, nothing. He didn't want a photographer either, just informal shots, so that's all I did. I struggled, but out of a couple of hundred images it only takes a few to make it worthwhile.

There's no lighting there, just a lot of gain and me pointing the camera in the right direction at the right moment.

nice one Tom. I used to do a lot of that stuff as well, though I always brought a flash along. I had a big old Metz flash with an external shoulder strap battery. Would last all night and if I needed to it could illuminate a warship out at sea heh. What I'd so for party / "moment" shots was dial the flash waaay back, use it's diffusor and tape a bit of tracing paper over that in an arc. Worked wonders with my Ilford 100 film. Damn, but I suddenly miss the craft :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom