Advice Is my house going to blow up?

russell

FH is my second home
So husband has just fitted a new ( to us) range cooker by unclipping the old gas hose and connecting the new hose. My mum calls to put the fear of god in me that we are all going to die because husband is not ' gas safe' registered and we don't have a certificate.

So now I am really worried (although he did our last range cooker that was fine for 9 years! )He sliced his finger and swore a lot this afternoon and we had to rope friends in to help lift the gigantic thing. Such a palava and now thinks I am really ungrateful because I am anxious about it. Do we need a certificate? Should I not use it until it is checked? Experiences/ advice please Freddie's...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
With explode-y/burn-y stuff like gas and oil I would get a professional to look at it... I'm not sure if you *have* to but I would imagine you do.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just like with all things dangerous such as electrics included to callous's list, it's probably fine, but safe then sorry always applies.

Knowa guy who's worked with explody/burny/buildy stuff for enarly 60 years, yet i still wouldn't trust him over a professional if the failstate is death.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Did he test for gas leakage?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
you dont have to,, but might effect insurance ? and you cant sell it like that either afaik

Athan

Resident Freddy
If it has one of the modern bayonet fittings then there shouldn't be an issue. It's not like it will have been in need of plumbers' grease to get a good seal.

russell

FH is my second home
It was a bayonet fitting and he used Pdfe tape?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
in that case tell him you like shoes

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Youre allowed to change a bayonet fitting yourself ..in fact anyone is legally allowed to work on any gas pipes or fittings...it becomes illegal if you charge for it and are not gassafe registered...that may seem a litle strange...but thats the law...Im gassafe registered myself...if you cant smell gas then no problem.
you dont need gas safety certificates for your own house...only if you are renting.
its worth checking the cooker itself to see that the safety devices work ok.

Last edited:

russell

FH is my second home
Thank you. This is what husband said. But everyone else said the opposite. I shall sleep better tonight.
But may ask a mate who is gas safe to come and check it anyway.

Job

Most people are surprised to hear that gas is the same as farts...its pure methane..mainly old people run out of the room when Im testing..it hasnt been poisonous since the fifties

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If there's a leak, you'll smell it long before anything explodes. Chances are the hoses will be fine, it's the new cooker you have to worry about. A good way to test for a leak is to use one of those U-shaped tube devices, that you partly fill with water and connect at the meter. As this is a second-hand cooker, you really should test it for leaks.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Most people are surprised to hear that gas is the same as farts...its pure methane..mainly old people run out of the room when Im testing..it hasnt been poisonous since the fifties

Heard it here first, Job has been around since 50s and his farts scare old people out of the room.

russell

FH is my second home
If there's a leak, you'll smell it long before anything explodes. Chances are the hoses will be fine, it's the new cooker you have to worry about. A good way to test for a leak is to use one of those U-shaped tube devices, that you partly fill with water and connect at the meter. As this is a second-hand cooker, you really should test it for leaks.
Thanks tom. The only gas bits are the rings and grill. The ovens areelectric. Apparently when the glass lid is shut it shuts off the gas as a fail safe? I will get it checked tho x

Nate

FH is my second home
Someone I know house blew up recently.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

But you're probably ok

Nate

FH is my second home
As much as you trust us to tell you whats what Russ, we are random guys on the internet. I could tell you that I can send my mate Dave to Taiwan to learn how to put gas through a monkey safely and attach it to your house to make it never blow up, but that might not be true.

But it is true.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, she suffocated from a gas leak whilst feeling about for the keys to the front door - she'd have turned the light on but was a bit worried about the dodgy sparky light-switch that her husband installed :(

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Seems a bit weird to me; 'Do you need a license to do this?' Yes/No... No - Oh, we're safe then.

:D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I wouldn't put much weight on licenses either, but experience in the field is rather key. If a snotnosed 17 year old gas"man" would come over(Hi Job), i would trust him less then Scouse to do my reading shopping.

Nate

FH is my second home
The monkey also functions as a family pet, just feed him bananas. Dave would have been taught how to put the gas through his body without mixing with the digestive system.

Job

The law is you have to be competent to work on gas and gas appliances...competent is a very loose term which could easily include..'I read the manual'.
If it all went tits up the courts would have to prove you incompetent and vica versa...of course if you blow up a house youre automatically guilty of negligence and your insurance company may well refuse a claim...if they can prove you did it.
If I blow up a house my insurance would cover it regardless.
In Rusells case they should check the cookers safety devices..if its just gas burners and elevtric oven they should check they turn off if you blow the gas out.

russell

FH is my second home
All safe. Gas guy came today and checked everything. Thanks guys...House has not blown up yet and he did use fairy liquid!

leggy

Probably Scottish
There is an old Scottish Proverb: Licenses don't keep you safe, not being thick as fuck keeps you safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom