Is it me?

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
305
Do I need my eyes testing?

I get sniped by people so far away that I can't see them, even when I tried a sniper rifle myself... they just merge into the fog/foliage in the far distance, yet they can pick me off as soon as I poke my head 1mm above a rock.

I am knocking on a bit, but surely my eyes can't be that bad?

Anyway... I run the game with pretty much default settings. Are there any settings that can be used to help see stuff better?

One guy did say that he uses clearscope... as I can't find it in the cvar list I'm assuming it's a cheat (this was on a pure server btw!), so it may well be that the game is cheat ridden already.
 

Decoyroy

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
4
m8 try using a higher brightness

as i have been playing that for a while and with a higher brightness i find it easier to aim from a distance. :flame:
 

Will

/bin/su
Staff member
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
5,259
A googling turns up nothing for clearscope with Call of Duty, or various combinations. If you try playing on servers with the killcam (annoying as it is), you should start to get a feel for the max sniping range before fog becomes an issue.
 

FlameTop

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
17
I think part of the problem is trying to judge just how visable your player model is behind objects. Several times in the snipe-fest that is rocket and hurtgen I have considered I was being stealthy only to be sniped. The kill cam usually shows I may as well have been dancing in open space for all the cover I had managed :)

It may be they are just using cover better than you Sowat :)
 

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
1,165
as far as cheats go i am aware of a wall hack and also something that makes the models sort of glow i.e. your side would have a red glow while your opponents will be green :(


all in all if both of those cheats are used then i would imagine it would be quite hard to miss your target (and if there was an aimbot in existance also you couldnt loose really)
 

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
305
FlameTop said:
I think part of the problem is trying to judge just how visable your player model is behind objects. Several times in the snipe-fest that is rocket and hurtgen I have considered I was being stealthy only to be sniped. The kill cam usually shows I may as well have been dancing in open space for all the cover I had managed :)

It may be they are just using cover better than you Sowat :)
That *is* something that annoys me. I'm dead sure that I'm completely hidden, but after getting blasted, the killcam shows me laying in the open :/

I guess they do have better cover, but I still don't see how they can see me from soooo far away.

*turns brightness up full





*is blinded on Hurtgen
 

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
7,194
Remember, its a q3 -based game. I expect there's a lot of people playing with gamma/brightness as high as it will go, map_overbrightbits 19 or whatever it is :/
Some people just have to win no matter what.
Me i play at 1280-1024 with every detail on maximum and I dont often even use a crosshair. And if you beat me because of it, I dont care :)
 

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
305
Will said:
A googling turns up nothing for clearscope with Call of Duty, or various combinations. If you try playing on servers with the killcam (annoying as it is), you should start to get a feel for the max sniping range before fog becomes an issue.
Shit... I eventually found a mention of clearscope, and it's not good news :(

It's actually part of a larger cheat program (details of which I won't post here).

The killcam certainly puts my mind at rest when I think "How the hell did he kill me" and find I was doing a Flametop-style dancing in the open routine, but some snipers get me, and I can't even see me in their sights when it's replayed.
 

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
224
I just turned the brightness up a notch in the nvidia display properties thingy, as nearly every game seems too dark, but the desktop is well bright. Oh well, can't have it all I spose.
I'm also shit at hiding and sniping ..... I prefer to run in with a machine gun, strafing left and right, dodging and weaving ....... shamoan!!!
Erk, cheats already?!?!?! fs :flame:
 

Will

/bin/su
Staff member
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
5,259
throdgrain said:
Remember, its a q3 -based game. I expect there's a lot of people playing with gamma/brightness as high as it will go, map_overbrightbits 19 or whatever it is :/
Some people just have to win no matter what.
Me i play at 1280-1024 with every detail on maximum and I dont often even use a crosshair. And if you beat me because of it, I dont care :)
I had someone bragging about how the bushes provided no cover as far as he was concerned. I assume he had been playing with the mipmap settings, though bragging about it wasn't improving my mood.

Hopefully Punkbuster will be along too, so that cvars can be controlled a bit more.
 

FlameTop

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
17
The other syndrome is creeping around only to be sniped. 'Where the fook was he' you scream, only to see on KillCam that he was 10ft behind you staring at your creeping figure :p

While CODing with the other SPS, we have only found a couple of servers with plainly cheating players. On one dutch one we got to our third case of the killcam showing a player clearly tracking you through a wall, so we just left.

Not at bad as the other server where Gem was kick-banned for shooting the server admin :)
 

Gemma the Dog

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
25
FlameTop said:
The other syndrome is creeping around only to be sniped. 'Where the fook was he' you scream, only to see on KillCam that he was 10ft behind you staring at your creeping figure :p

While CODing with the other SPS, we have only found a couple of servers with plainly cheating players. On one dutch one we got to our third case of the killcam showing a player clearly tracking you through a wall, so we just left.

Not at bad as the other server where Gem was kick-banned for shooting the server admin :)
I think I should be given the honour of the full shame of my crime...it wasn't just shooting the admin, I was *camping* on a Behind Enemy Lines server.... ;)
 

Gemma the Dog

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
25
Chameleon said:
GTD that's just not on dammit!! :D
I know...I've learned my lesson. I now take a can of bright yellow paint onto the server with me, paint myself from head to foot, strap on a large neon arrow pointing to the top of my head and, last but not least, put on my 'barn door' player model.

that should help them ;)
 

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,732
Sniping in cod is ace i dont know how u have trouble shooting in the mist tis well easy \o/ Cod>dod :clap:
 

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
1,165
Punkbuster will not be supporting Call of Duty for the short term future at least,an email from the guys at punkbuster......

Hello,

We will gladly support CoD if/when requested to by Infinity Ward /
Activision.

-Tony
 

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
792
Cheaters should have their balls cut off with a rusty spoon.................. :eek:
 

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
Moderator
FH Subscriber
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
2,352
Uncle Sick said:
Cheaters should have their balls cut off with a rusty spoon.................. :eek:

... or have to listen to Uncle Sick singing on teamspeak for 30 seconds.... :twak:
 

Will

/bin/su
Staff member
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
5,259
Cenuij said:
The old guy :)

How old? gooooo on tell us tell us tell us!
Birthday:
December 7, 1967

Fairly old, but hardly antique.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom