Is it me ?

T

Tom

It looks to me as though somebody had a bright idea about the design of the Game site, and nothing or nobody can change their minds, regardless of the numerous complaints here about the useability of it.

Just take a look at the BBC website, there really is a lot to learn about the legibility of things in there. Also check out this site, maybe if you ask nicely they'll do a stupendous job for you.

C

Ch3tan

Technation is a sister site of GAME.NET and has a better design. Maybe you need to hire Jonty?

Sorry if this all seems a bit harsh, but your paying users have been telling you the site is awful and no one has payed any attention yet.

D

Deadmanwalking

Bigfoot and a select few others have :clap:

Up the peons, go on my son

:(

B

bigfoot

I dislike a few aspects of the (new) site but also like others and can appreciate why it is designed like it is.

I have commented about the http://play.game.net splash page especially it and asked to make it a "bit more like BW" in terms of news, columns etc but I'm a pleb and the people who determine what time is spent on what things don't have the same views I (and quite a lot of others it seems) do.

M

Mellow-

Have I mentioned white text on black backgrounds burns peoples retinas?

B

bigfoot

I've been using the GAME.NET theme on the forums since it became available, I find it better on the eyes that the BarrysWorld scheme personally.

C

Cdr

I think, at the end of the day, does it matter? If Game.net want it that way, then so be it. We can only hope that a redesign happens in order to make the splash page a little more like the old BW one. If it doesn't, then no biggy. Hell, how many of you actually view those pages anyway, how many just have the bookmark linked to the forums?

D

Deadmanwalking

I use gamebar to get to the forums :)

Oh and cdr you traitor
:twak:

E

Embattle

TBH it doesn't really matter, and hasn't done since BW just became another cog in the engine of a corporation using the standard corporate talk, ideas, reply's, etc.

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by Tom
Also check out this site, maybe if you ask nicely they'll do a stupendous job for you.
The background doesn't line up properly in Mozilla. Shite testing tbh :p

C

Ch3tan

I used BW because of its content and web portal. I could have used Jolt but it had no sense of community apart from the forums. BW had active news, columns and help and faq's within easy reach. Now its simply just the forums again. New users will come here and wonder why they should pay for something they can get free elsewhere.

I doubt you'll change the colour scheme, but at least consider the splash page, making news a main link across the top bar rather than quick links, and bringing back columns. The advantage of the Bw site was that everything was clearly layed out and easy to navigate, I can't put my finger on why, but I dont get this from the current design of the GAME.NET site.

W

Will

Originally posted by bigfoot
I've been using the GAME.NET theme on the forums since it became available, I find it better on the eyes that the BarrysWorld scheme personally.
It depends a lot on how bright your monitor is. The GAME.NET scheme works well with a bright monitor, but is terrible with a dark monitor.

Which is very similar to my homepage. But mine is just a crappy blog.;)

K

kameleon

How long will I be able to use my BW email account before it's closed?

T

throdgrain

A long time hopefully, I use mine for everything :/

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by DaGaffer
Stop whining. We gave you a year. And yes, you can still have green forums (I promised that at a Barrybeer last year and I kept to it, but that's all I promised).
A smidge of warning would have been nice. Can't get the content of my columns out from a dead site. Unless of course there's some other secret plan to bring them back on GAME.net ?

M

MYstIC G

Oh & for the whingers of the design, it's not that bad, it's just hard to find the content which detracts from the design.

Edit: Just now on IRC as an illustration
[12:11] <UberC0re> Can anyone tell me where my barrysbank is located on the new game website
[12:11] <@bigfoot> yes i believe so
[12:11] <Deadmanwalking> gamebank now :)
[12:11] <Deadmanwalking> http://member.game.net/Gamebank/
[12:11] <UberC0re> yeah cant find the link on the new site .. lol

B

bigfoot

GAME Bank and the New Clan Servers are not supposed to be fully live at the moment so they aren't linked properly in the site.

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by Rekin
I'm not. It appears the Game.Net site is as badly designed as the main Game site :/

You think the shopping site is ugly? What planet, exactly, are you from?

E

Embattle

Like most modern websites it seems the perfectly shaped boxes rule...ugly.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by bigfoot
GAME Bank and the New Clan Servers are not supposed to be fully live at the moment so they aren't linked properly in the site.
Fair enough, but that wouldn't be my personal example. The "click to open the full links" navigation is entierly horrible as it is without stuff not being linked.

G

gremlin

Stop whining.
Excuse me but why should we stop whining? We are your customers and hence, always right. People should vocally mourn the loss of what was a once great online gaming community.

I have plenty more to say on the subject but posting it here will likely get me banned (lo bif).

Consider this my official whinge.

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by gremlin
Excuse me but why should we stop whining? We are your customers and hence, always right. People should vocally mourn the loss of what was a once great online gaming community.

I have plenty more to say on the subject but posting it here will likely get me banned (lo bif).

Consider this my official whinge.

In simple terms, the vast majority of the people who moan (and before you start ranting I emphasise the word majority) aren't, technically speaking, customers, since that tends to imply an exchange of goods and services. Subscribers have a right to moan, but since they have been GAME.NET subscribers for the last year or so then it seems a moot point. Clan server customers have continued to be 'Barrysworld' customers simply because its taken us a quite a while to put our new (much cheaper, more flexible) clan server solution in, but we always made it clear that Barrysworld wasn't going to be the service brand going forward.

As for design, each to their own, we're not going to redesign it so by all means waste your energy if you want, but we simply don't have the resources or inclination to do any more redesign work right now.

M

MYstIC G

As for design, each to their own, we're not going to redesign it so by all means waste your energy if you want, but we simply don't have the resources or inclination to do any more redesign work right now.
Lovely sentiment, however the following make this a mute point. The method for navigating the site is complete and utter total PAP. Now, before this gets into one of them "oh, he's from BW, he just wants the old site back" points, I don't. The old site navigation was no better either.

So, what am I on about. Well since it's already been mentioned let's bring TecNation into the fold. TecNation has the same core top of page navigation as the GAME sites, but it works about 1000 times more effectively. The links are (reasonably, Latest News should take priority over columns tbh) well laid out and correctly categoriesed. Apply the same logic to the options at the top of these very forums.

Example replacement (use your imagination)
Top: Subset
My Account: Modify/Register, Players, Teams, Clanservers, Support
What's On: Today, This Week, Next Week, By Game
Community: Service Updates, News, Columns, Forums, Chat
Files: Demos, Patches
Shop: Main Store, PS2, GC, X-Box, PC

Blah, blah, blah. Screw this tbh, I'm going for a meal with some mates & cba to type. Let's drop the slanging match. Fine, BW is gone.

3 things:
- Thanks for not bothering to warn us (no, I'm afraid a year ago isn't fresh in everyones heads)
- could we possibly know what's going to happen to "it" (read: domains, IRC channels, etc) in a difinative sense, is it all dead, are there "to be discontinued" dates, etc.
- redesign it or not, the current play site design is pap, sort it out with the talent that vastly improved the shop site & it might become useable once again (i.e. I went to book a server today & was fucked if I could find a way to edit my old custom configs)

Users who are viewing this thread