Is it me or is the Paladin class ridiculously unbalanced?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Only thing overpowered is how paladins can use those friggin shields while silenced. I didn't spend an ability on a 45 sec timer so he can become immune and heal up.

Still, learnt my lesson. Now I just fear them and they die before it breaks.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Zill said:
Right, so I just need uber gear, uber skills and spec'd right in talents and I will beat every paladin - regardless of their equipment - in every fight. Is that what you're saying? If so, then we can wrap this thread up now and not even bother with any debate at all.

when did i say that? im just trying to make u understand that people are telling u why u lost. "omg im trying a new playstyle cant u understand that?" yes we can. but obviously its not working.
the end of the day u started this thread whining because u got beaten by a class u obviously had no idea of how to fight, or probably what they could do. the people on these boards replys were less than curteous(sp?). but they were still telling u where u went wrong. they are also telling u how u can improve ur chances of winning.
try new playstyles out if u want. but dont come whining here about a class being OP if ur playstyle isnt effective against them. just respec and try again. if u wanna keep ur playstyle fine whatever but dont expect sympathy when u lose a fight

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Zill said:
Did either of you consider the fact I was in defence stance? Thought not. :eek:

Ever considered changing a stance? Thought not :eek:

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Whisperess said:

Yes, your arguments are strong there.

You're not debating, you're venting. Don't expect to walk away without a bruise if you whine about another class when obviously you didn't even use half your abilities whereas he used just about everything he had to. (2 * 5 min cooldown shields, blessing/seal/judgement of wisdom to keep the awfully small mana pool up - only thing left would be the 1h cooldown lay on hands as a last resort)

Point is - never ever try to out-defense a paladin in a 1vs1. (drop defensive stance when you don't have to use it, drop the shield/1h weapon and actively force him to use both his shields in a short amount of time and pop a bandage while he's shielding).

You were right about one thing though. They are hybrids; and as such are more versatile than any non-hybrid class in a 1vs1. He's half the damage dealer that you can be and half the healer of any non-hybrid healer. To win you have to make one of them go away - focus on forcing him to heal and you'll win easily. (seal of wisdom can only proc when he attacks you, twice of that if he's used his judgement on you)

There's nothing to debate here, just play smarter. We've given you the tools you need to do it; up to you if you choose to ignore them.

I acknowledge (again) my then talents spec was weak for PvP. I was cocky during the fights and not maximizing my abilities and changing stances. I'm not even protection spec'd anymore, reverting back to Arms 32/Fury 19 and doing much better against paladins - although I still think they're overpowered.

I was merely leading with a couple of 'funny' incidents for others to regale the community here with their own experiences fighting this class. I thought this was about class discussion, you see. I didn't come here for advice. I'm not whining and couldn't give a stuff I lost to these paladins. Fair play to them, says I.

Lakashnik said:
when did i say that? im just trying to make u understand that people are telling u why u lost. "omg im trying a new playstyle cant u understand that?" yes we can. but obviously its not working.
the end of the day u started this thread whining because u got beaten by a class u obviously had no idea of how to fight, or probably what they could do. the people on these boards replys were less than curteous(sp?). but they were still telling u where u went wrong. they are also telling u how u can improve ur chances of winning.
try new playstyles out if u want. but dont come whining here about a class being OP if ur playstyle isnt effective against them. just respec and try again. if u wanna keep ur playstyle fine whatever but dont expect sympathy when u lose a fight

No, I started this thread for a bit of light-hearted discussion about the paladin class. I've already said I know my style wasn't the best and I was cocky. What do you want, blood? I read Warrior discussion boards about the best styles and talent spec for PvP. I popped over here, having been a regular contributer on Barrysworld, saw it was a bit quiet so decided to liven it up.

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
Play a mage or priest and see how many paladins u can beat then... bet the number goes up massively. Priests and mages are incredibly powerful, specially against someone with no speed, ranged attacks or snares.

Paladins are good against melee classes... so just live with it :kissit:

Maybe I should start a nerf priests thread...

Afran

Part of the furniture
Spankya said:
Paladins are good against melee classes... so just live with it
Rogue beats a paladin very easily if you know how, not sure about Warrior as I've never really played one. Probably the second easiest class to take down (warlock being first :p)

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
Afran said:
Rogue beats a paladin very easily if you know how, not sure about Warrior as I've never really played one. Probably the second easiest class to take down (warlock being first :p)

Luckily most rogues are too stupid to know :p

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Zill said:
No, I started this thread for a bit of light-hearted discussion about the paladin class.
This is the part that confuses me; I don't care if you won or lost or how you played. Please do point out what part of your original post was even close to match the above quote.

Guess why your thread back-fired? That's right; it was a whine/vent - not an opener for a light-hearted discussion.

Just in case you're about to claim it wasn't a whine at all, let me re-quote the final part of your "light-hearted discussion":
Zill said:
I'm sorry if this seems a case of sour grapes, but if you're playing a paladin there is no skill to your class. None. You're just playing a hybrid warrior/priest unbelievably overpowered.

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Whisperess said:
This is the part that confuses me; I don't care if you won or lost or how you played. Please do point out what part of your original post was even close to match the above quote.

Guess why your thread back-fired? That's right; it was a whine/vent - not an opener for a light-hearted discussion.

Just in case you're about to claim it wasn't a whine at all, let me re-quote the final part of your "light-hearted discussion":
Two semi-colons, eh?

In response, firstly I don't think there is any skill to playing a paladin. That's just my opinion and people are more than welcome to disagree with it and prove me wrong. But where did I whine? I thought I was reasonably diplomatic in how I phrased my first post to avoid it being seen as such. Didn't I? Do you even know what the word 'whine' means? I don't think you do.

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
Zill said:
Two semi-colons, eh?

In response, firstly I don't think there is any skill to playing a paladin. That's just my opinion and people are more than welcome to disagree with it and prove me wrong. But where did I whine? I thought I was reasonably diplomatic in how I phrased my first post to avoid it being seen as such. Didn't I? Do you even know what the word 'whine' means? I don't think you do.

Yeah there's no skill in playing a paladin, you just park your char near the group, go afk(down the pub or whatever) and it auto buffs, heals people, stun's things attacking your mages/healers, cast soc every 30 seconds, automatically runs out and starts hitting what the warrior(s) is hitting or tanks an add, changes aura to fit the situation, and auto loots and rolls all whilst you are afk. Paladin also get a +50 to all their rolls, so if we roll anything over 51 we always win, and noone minds coz paladins are so cool, and all is happy in lala land where you seem to live Zili.

Warriors arent hard to play are they? Just stand there in a defensive stance and hit stuff without doing any specials... oooooh, now I remember... thats just how you play, but warriors do have more stuff than that.

Am not saying paladins are hard to play at all, but as with all classes, some skill is required.

:flame:

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm the angry horde player that doesn't know what a paladin can and can not do is here aswell.
The paladin class has more + points against melee classes but you made some serious errors in your playstyle. Defensive stance from what I know is to make the fight longer. You are trading in damage for less pain. Against a paladin this is the biggest mistake you can make. You cannot outlast a paladin so don't try to. A warrior has intercept so use it, the stuns do help. Use your hamstring caus if you do the paladin has to change his blessing to freedom meaning he cant do more damage.

Also a warrior is balanced when it has all the best equipment, while decent equipment might be nice it is still crap when compared to for instance valor equipment.

Level 60 warriors that just got level 60 will loose to a level 60 paladin that has better equipment. However once you have your good equipment you will win if you know what to do and have the right talents.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
our highest ranked warrior on our server has the full epic pvp armor set. (tottaly badass) a arcanite reaper and bunch of stam stre and + crit rings cloak an trinkets.
his name is gust. hes a NE and hes damn good at what he does.
stood outside IF pretty much everyone challanging him to duels paladins included. he beat all but i think 1mage who beat him twice. once was cos his swings wernt actually doing the dmg they said they were. was funny seeing a mage out melee a warrior :p

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
I think Paladin's are easy to play, auto-attack, few stuns and when you go low on hp shield/heal and repeat = [

This is 1v1 though, not group fights :p

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
i know pallys are challanging to play in grp instances and stuff when i tried out my mates lvl 39 in SM never playing 1 before. i sucked :p but when lvling solo i just got bored making my own so gave up. stopped at lvl 13.. but he looks badass in his lowbie gear like a hardcore merc or summat. so im chuffed :p

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
~Latency~ said:
I think Paladin's are easy to play, auto-attack, few stuns and when you go low on hp shield/heal and repeat = [
Have fun when you face someone who actually know how to play.

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Hoho! Another hilarious witticism from Whisperass.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Why don't you actually roll a paladin and then tell us all how little skill is actually required to play it? I'm sure its probably not necessary with your vast experience of never having played one but, ya know, it might be nice if you knew what you were talking about before you start ranting about how paladin players lack any kind of skills.

One tip to you though; if you want to make a "light-hearted thread" try to avoid bullshit comments such as this:
I'm sorry if this seems a case of sour grapes, but if you're playing a paladin there is no skill to your class. None. You're just playing a hybrid warrior/priest unbelievably overpowered.
Paladins may have a lot of tricks to keep themselves alive but it still takes us about 40 minutes to actually kill something...in PvE. In PvP we are pretty much cannon fodder for anyone with ranged abilities and it is only our little tricks that keep us alive long enough to actually get honour points.

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Sissyfoo said:
Why don't you actually roll a paladin and then tell us all how little skill is actually required to play it? I'm sure its probably not necessary with your vast experience of never having played one but, ya know, it might be nice if you knew what you were talking about before you start ranting about how paladin players lack any kind of skills.

I have no intention of rolling anymore more characters, but if it helps I apologize to any pallies who took exception to my comments (although Im sure most of those with a sense of humour realized they were slightly tongue-in-cheek :)) and I certainly wasnt ranting or a whining (Im too old for that). Im not even playing WoW at the moment as the monotony of running around AV for a couple of hours is becoming very boring. So these days I couldnt care less about paladins and whether theyre overpowered or not.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Zill said:
Hoho! Another hilarious witticism from Whisperass.
Witticism? I'm afraid you'll have to look up that word again mate, it's not present in the fact I stated.

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Whisperess said:
Witticism? I'm afraid you'll have to look up that word again mate, it's not present in the fact I stated.

Whisperess, youve never played with me before (not in WoW anyway) so you have no right to tell me I cant play my warrior. I've had lots of disagreements with people on forums boards, especially when this was Barrysworld, but Ive never told anyone I hardly know they cant play their class. I havent even said it to players where there could be some justification based on my own observations with them in groups! :)

There is nothing in my first post that suggest thats the case. What I will accept is that I played utter pants and deserved to die. But Im not going to have x amount of hours playing my warrior based on two encounters. Thanks!

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Zill said:
Dear Zill.

If you for just a second stop thinking that everything I post is aimed as a shot at you and your playstyle, you might come to realize that I quoted Latency in the post you're referring to.

I can't help if you feel targetted by that post, as that was never my intention. If you read his and mine post through thoroughly you'll see that I was merely pointing out that his playstyle as a Paladin won't work if he face people that know how to combat Paladins. (That's not saying the one you faced was using the same playstyle - he most likely wasn't)

Now, you could relate the above to the rest of the thread if you like playing victim. What you also could do is take it for what it is; a remark solely aimed for Latency.

Once again, just for clarification: I'm not telling you that you can't play your warrior. What I (among others) did earlier is point out the few things you did wrong in the first mentioned battle. That's not telling you you can't play your warrior; it's just tips and tricks to take with you for your next battle. (although, admittedely presented in a less than kind tone which was a result from your last sentence in the first post).

There's another thing not really reflected upon in this entire thread; what if the person playing Paladin was really really good at playing his class? (once again, I'm not saying that you aren't good at playing Warrior) What if he had insanely good equipment for his level? All those things matter a lot - but what matters the most is that defensive stance/spec warrior will have a hard time beating Paladins. That's a general fact, not aimed as criticism towards you.

Cadagdur

Fledgling Freddie
Paladins don't do tonnes of damage what so over :eek7:
I've dueled loads of warriors on meh paladin, and won every time as far as i can remember. I've beat warriors that are several levels higher than me too (when i wasn't level 60).

I just think that warriors arn't all that good, generally, at 1on1 duels or what have you, i dunno maybe i've only played against ones that aren't too good at playing their class, but from all teh experience i've had, and my friends have had (on other classes than paladins) warriors arn't good at 1on1.

Paladins don't do alot of damage, they just.. live, for a long time and pump out mediocre damage whilst they're at it. Saying that paladin doesn't require skill is a bit pap though :mad:

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Zill said:
I have no intention of rolling anymore more characters, but if it helps I apologize to any pallies who took exception to my comments (although Im sure most of those with a sense of humour realized they were slightly tongue-in-cheek :)) and I certainly wasnt ranting or a whining (Im too old for that). Im not even playing WoW at the moment as the monotony of running around AV for a couple of hours is becoming very boring. So these days I couldnt care less about paladins and whether theyre overpowered or not.
Why roll a pala when you can roll a UD Mage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom