Is Daoc dieing?

O

old.Nikolas

Not just EU, but a lot of people in the US have quit as well. Is everything still going strong, or are we witnessing the beginning of the end?

Just curious :)

F

froler-mid

dunno, but these kinda post have been posted for over 1year now....... ;dd

T

tripitaka

I hope its not dying, im fast approaching my 2nd 50.

It's like buses....

I wait 2 years for a 50 , then 2 come along more or less at once ;)

A

Archeon

Agreed, people have been 'Doomspeaking' about the end of DAoC since... well more or less forever. First SI was going to kill the game, then 1.62, now its ToA.

Generally speaking the 'pay for' expansions have the opposite effect - generating greater interest in the game. Especially from new players who have never tried it before (and as such, are blissfully unaware of what their getting themselves into).

I reckon DAoC will be arround for a while, i know quite a lot of people are saying they'l leave for WoW the second it comes out - but if i remember rightly these are the same people who said the same thing about 'Shadowbane' and 'SWG' (though i will openly admit, WoW looks tempting)

Live or die, i seriously don't see DAoC (the euro version anyway) 'dying' within this year unless some freakishly horrible, terrible chain of events happened which killed the entire population of the planet!!! But thats not likely to happen ;)

S

snoz

Pyrdwen RvR seems more active then its ever been since SI :) Dunno how excal and others are looking atm though.

Seemed same old zerg last time I played my droood.

N

NairyK-

Look at server stats, imho they've grown slowly but there growing. I seriously doubt DAoC dying it's one of the best MMORPG games out (afaik) pitty about the shitty GOA service tho

S

syri

it's not dieing, true, a lot of veteran players are leaving, but only at the same rate new people are starting, or older players coming back. there are people leaving, yes, but there are also people starting, so it all balances in the end

F

Faeldawn

DAoC is one of those games you can take a break from and try another game, if that doesnt work out you can always come back and many do.

Simply put there isnt a better (or at least there certainly isnt a more addictive) game around at the moment of this genre'.

Some good games coming such as WoW and DE, but unless they are superbly made and extremely well thought out they will have little effect on daoc, at least not in the long run.

What may harm daoc is that the mmorpg market is becoming over-saturated with games, every month another contender is released. Sooner or later some bright spark will invent the next generation of mmo style gaming which will bury all that preceeded it, at that time if daoc dies, all "old" mmog's will also die.

I dont forsee this happening anytime soon, so for the moment Daoc is here to stay.

(imo ofc)

C

cHodAX

Err, the GOA stats show that we are around 1500 players down since Foundations and the US figures have nosedived recently. Those people saying that the numbers leaving are balanced by those joining are burying thier heads in the sand. There are long term fundamental problems with this game now and TOA only makes that more apparent.

V

valcyr

DAoC has never had as many subscribers as it has now. Both in US and EU (according to mythic).

So DAoC is defenately NOT dying. The growth rate isn't as big as it once was ofc, but thats just obvious.

Just because tons of people whine about leaving, (or it may seem alot) dosn't mean as its as bad as it seems.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by valcyr
DAoC has never had as many subscribers as it has now. Both in US and EU (according to mythic).

So DAoC is defenately NOT dying. The growth rate isn't as big as it once was ofc, but thats just obvious.

Just because tons of people whine about leaving, (or it may seem alot) dosn't mean as its as bad as it seems.

Suggest you check the stats before posting, US active players are massively down since TOA. EU numbers have dropped by 7-8% and wait till TOA comes along and makes RvR even more unbalanced than it is now.

V

valcyr

Originally posted by cHodAX
Suggest you check the stats before posting, US active players are massively down since TOA. EU numbers have dropped by 7-8% and wait till TOA comes along and makes RvR even more unbalanced than it is now.
Witch numbers?
And I doublt that the player base dropped that much since december.

V

valcyr

Did I mention this?

First, let's take a quick look at what's going on in the world of Camelot and Mythic. I?m happy to report that as of December 1st, our US server subscriber base is higher than a year ago at this time, and our subscriber base for our European partners is growing steadily as well. So, from a purely business standpoint, Mythic is better off today than it was this same time last year.

http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1247.shtml

K

katt!

dunno if christmas is a good time to use for statistics, lots of people are at home (aka away from their computer :()

W

Whoodoo_RD

Theres also twice as many buffbots since last year, as these days to RvR successfully, its become essential.

Id say player base is down, but the number of accounts is up.

Cast your mids back a year ago, how many BBs stood outside TKs, or were firmly strapped the arse of a troll as he lumbered out of his keep.

T

Tumult

The server pop has been falling since June on the English servers.

link

/edit French and German servers have had a slight increase in October but have been going down.

O

old.Nikolas

Well the biggest problem for Daoc was its RvR design imo.

In the early days people waited for RvR for ages, often getting bored and levelling alts instead, which often included a stealther. This impacted on the overall numbers of people available for RvR again the process is repeated... Then RvR guilds begin to sprout and the numbers of casual RvR players gets split even further...

Mythic is now aware that its stealth RvR system is causing all kinds of problems, fewer and fewer of the balanced classes for RvR are needed. 6-7 people often wait in port keeps waiting for needed classes like Bards causing all kinds of delays.

So what has Mythic done about it? Well they are forced to nerf stealthers. Archers are hit 1st and over time more harm is done to the stealth populous through a series of nerfs and changes, all of which are an attempt to force people to play more group friendly classes. This of course pissses off the original stealthers who rolled on in the very beginning and who now feel ultimately let down by Mythic.

TOA although a fantastic expansion on a whole has probably done more damage than any other change to the stealther population. All kinds of new abilities have been implemented to screw with their own stealther system. A very large chunk of the original stealther population has now simply decided to move to another product.

The RvR expansion will help a LOT, but unfortunately for the UK and other EU players of Daoc there will be a huge delay before we get it, again another mistake of Mythic was letting GOA market daoc in the EU. A far better approach would have been to release it just in the English language, with direct patch support coming from the US so we got the patches at the same time as the US.

The next 2-5 months are going to be critical for Daoc in the EU. It’s a long time to wait for key changes and I hope TOA gets released soon. I also hope GOA sells it better to the UK, their marketing over here sucks.

I left because I was fed up of having to change my characters. Over my 2 years I went from Ranger > Bard > Nightshade > Ranger > Bard, all the time I felt forced into playing how the system wanted me to lol. In the end I just thought I would find another game so I did :)

O

old.davidlqs

What did you find Nikolas? I've tried allsorts, even a return to EQ, but nothing quite separated me permanently from the teat of DAoC.

O

old.Nikolas

Originally posted by old.davidlqs
What did you find Nikolas? I've tried allsorts, even a return to EQ, but nothing quite separated me permanently from the teat of DAoC.

I got hold of a cheap version of SWG a month after its proper EU release. Only played it for 3-4 weeks and I have to say I don't mind it. I joined a Prydwen guild which has about 50 members.

It’s a nice easy going title for me before I take up Darkfall this year, I can understand why its not everyones cup of tea but SWG has a lot of potential, especially with the huge PvP overhall planned, I also like how they are communicating with their fans for content addition.

I don't like seeing friends leave the game either, I've had a good run but I just don't like having the game force me to play a certain way, which daoc ended up doing.

F

Falcon

FYI the population on the US servers has been steady since before ToA and still is now looking at the number of each people on the servers at the same time each day, if there's been any decrease in population whatsoever it's completely unnoticeable and definetely not enough to have any impact on the game. I think if anything I've seen an increase in players, certainly MLF peaks at over 500 in Hib on an almost nightly basis - 2 months ago it was around 450 (obviously you get fluctuations but at an educated guess at an average).

In game I've come across only one person who really did actually quit due to ToA, most of it's just normal VN whine/paranoia spreading. For every VN ToA whiner there's at least 10 more of us in game enjoying it and the added fun that ToA has brought to the game.

If all the people that said they'd quit after SI and various Nerfs/Changes really had the game would've been dead a year ago.

The problem I'm seeing now playing on the US servers is SO many euro players take what the US whiners say as truth and it's not at all, even I was guilty of that getting in a mood about See Hidden then when it finally came in it wasn't really that bad, I still played and enjoyed my archer. Don't beleive the whiners, wait in game and make up your own mind.

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by Tumult
The server pop has been falling since June on the English servers.

link

/edit French and German servers have had a slight increase in October but have been going down.
#

Thats a link for number of players / times of the day. Not player population

N

NairyK-

You guy's have been doing your homework ;) at the bottom line...daoc is still a good game imo, you may not like it :D but i do!
so is daoc dying ?

O

old.Nikolas

Many of the x-daoc'rs who have joined our guild on Chimaera have said things were not as good as they once were. I then started reading reading tons of whine threads on VN so I thought I would check it out...

I only posted this after hearing Barrysworld was closing, I logged on to prydwen.net to find it not there! Hehe, I just though Jesus, is everything ok :(

T

tiareth

I don't really think that a game with the player base of Daoc can ever die unless the compnay running it decided to unplug the servers.

S

Sichama

Originally posted by tiareth
I don't really think that a game with the player base of Daoc can ever die unless the compnay running it decided to unplug the servers.

And pure proof about this is UO, which should have died two years ago but is still beeing played by alot of people.

Anyway i have had this feeling too with other games, when i felt that the game was taking a turn and was changing in something me and my friends didn't like then we allways thought that because we where leaving everyone else would too, and new players wouldn't join.

We have been repeadetly reminded that we where not the center of the universe many times and that veteran players that leave a game is not something that means the game is dying.

New players allways join and they don't actually give a shit of how the game was 2 years ago and how good the "old days" where, and rightfully so because now the game belongs to them, and they need to like it how it is now.

F

FoXeH

Dunno about DAoC Dying, but i've found myself hooked on SWG right now :D

F

Falcon

Many of the x-daoc'rs who have joined our guild on Chimaera have said things were not as good as they once were. I then started reading reading tons of whine threads on VN so I thought I would check it out...
Partly what I like about moving to MLF, it's just less competitive there, so much more casual and hence more fun, just like DAoC used to be in the old days. Prydwen IMO suffered one of the biggest changes I've ever seen, it went from being a very tight, largely friendly community to being one of the most elitist servers in existence in a very short period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom