Ireland driving holiday

Nate

FH is my second home
Hello hello hello,

Looking at doing this end of August. Anyone been? Or done this? Looks like fun :) Where did you go? How did you get there and what did you do!?

I've been looking at renting a car which seems cheap :D and staying at places with Airbnb which also seems...cheap?! You get the point. Anyone used this airbnb thing?

Cheers!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Drove around Ring of Kerry from Cork...scenery is epic, but don't expect thatched cottages and little towns, in the boom they built mini mansions everywhere and now they are all empty.
Car hire cheap, Euro is low as well :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Beautiful country, enjoy! I wish someone would build a massive bridge to Ireland, it would be ace.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How long do you want to go for? Ireland isn't big so you can cover a lot of ground. As Job said, Ring of Kerry is a good option (after seven years here I've still not been, but my Mum did it a few weeks ago and said it was great). If you start from Cork, definitely visit Kinsale, some of the best places to eat in the country. Another really good option is The Wild Atlantic Way, which includes Kerry but covers the whole west coast. I actually think Sligo and Donegal are my favourite bits of Ireland.

Finally, don't discount the North; Antrim in particular is beautiful and you've got the Giants Causeway.

NB. Most of the middle of Ireland is boring as fuck; all the really good bits are by the sea, so try to plan with that in mind.

Nate

FH is my second home
Was looking at a week but looks more likely to be 5 days. Can I fly in to Cork and get the Ring of Kerry done in 5 days?

Had a look at Dublin - Waterford - Cork via the coast which looked nice

Thanks everyone btw :)

Tom, flights are dirt cheap it seems. Looking at £38 for two round trip to Dublin :) But yeah would be nice to take my own car. I was looking at travelsupermarket to rent a car, ~£7 a day

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Watch out for all the terrorists and remember to take a plank of wood with nails in, just to fit in.

Other than those very important gems of life-saving information all I can say is that I really like Ireland for my two day pissup that I don't remember - but have no particular tips :)

DaGaffer

Was looking at a week but looks more likely to be 5 days. Can I fly in to Cork and get the Ring of Kerry done in 5 days?

Had a look at Dublin - Waterford - Cork via the coast which looked nice

Thanks everyone btw :)

Tom, flights are dirt cheap it seems. Looking at £38 for two round trip to Dublin :) But yeah would be nice to take my own car. I was looking at travelsupermarket to rent a car, ~£7 a day

5 days is fine for Ring of Kerry, probably wouldn't be enough for the Wild Atlantic Way. NB. Look at Shannon flights as well as Cork, both about the same distance-wise.

Dublin-Waterford-Cork is nice enough; but the west is prettier.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Lovely country and people just check your car for bombs.

Too soon?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Check your garden for birds.

Too soon?

Didn't get that reference..

Edit: And after a few seconds of wrecking my brain, do you mean that he should watch out for Irish chicks because they, in your opinion, isn't very 'pretty'?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Ah the classic Trem threads. So what if I've read them before, I still have tears running down my face from laughing too much.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Funnily enough I'm just on my way to Shannon Airport after a couple of days in our Limerick office. Lovely part of the world, unbelievably friendly People and some great beer. We went to Bunratty Castle last night for their medieval dining experience which was...an experience. Food wasn't great but the atmosphere and entertainment were both top notch.

Take a jacket though, as it's rained pretty much constantly since we arrived on Monday...

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
you have a limerick office? do you also have a dirty joke office and a double entendre office?

DaGaffer

Funnily enough I'm just on my way to Shannon Airport after a couple of days in our Limerick office. Lovely part of the world, unbelievably friendly People and some great beer. We went to Bunratty Castle last night for their medieval dining experience which was...an experience. Food wasn't great but the atmosphere and entertainment were both top notch.

Take a jacket though, as it's rained pretty much constantly since we arrived on Monday...

Jacket? Stab Vest if you're visiting Limerick.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Didn't really notice any of that, but to be fair, we were only ever in the hotel, the office and Bunratty Castle. As mentioned everyone seemed friendly enough, but we were mostly in areas you'd expect them to be. Must admit though there was the odd delivery or bus driver that I couldn't understand a fucking word they were saying....

However personally, I'd be tempted to fly into Inverness and tour round the Highlands instead. I may be slightly biased, but I always found Scotland even more breathtaking than Ireland - better whisky too. I found the Highlanders equally hospitable as the Irish (except in Fort William, but I'd suggest sticking to the other side of the country).

As an aside, Firefox spell check has just tried to put an e in Whisky. Bad Firefox.

DaGaffer

Overall Scotland definitely has better scenery than Ireland. No question. To be honest (whisper it), England has better scenery than Ireland, and so does Wales. The difference is generally that you can see more of it in less time in Ireland than in England.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Also england is full of c... cheerful tea drinking ladies...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There are parts of England that are stunning but I think skirtland is the winner.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Jacket? Stab Vest if you're visiting Limerick.
This.

It may have changed since I went to Ireland 8 years ago but we thought, "Oooh, Limerick sounds really nice, let's leave Galway for the day and pop down there."

Terrible mistake. It was like Doncaster looked in the early 80s but with less charm and class.

It should have been filled with Leprechauns or something. Not drunken chavs in trackies.

Nate

FH is my second home
Current plan is

Day 1: Dublin - Galway
Day 2: Galway - Killarney
Day 3: Ring of Kerry
Day 4: Killarney - Cork/Blarney - Dublin
Day 5: Dublin

Not sure about the Day 3 and 4 atm, 4 hour drive might not be the best thing.

Anyone done the Guinness tour? Some place in Dublin

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Its not too bad you get a pint of guinesss at the end

Lots of stuff to do in dublin on the way to guiness, even the viking museum dublinia is quite interesting, and the gaol where the 1916 rising prisoners were kept/executed is down on the south side too

Vae

Resident Freddy
Current plan is

Day 1: Dublin - Galway
Day 2: Galway - Killarney
Day 3: Ring of Kerry
Day 4: Killarney - Cork/Blarney - Dublin
Day 5: Dublin

Not sure about the Day 3 and 4 atm, 4 hour drive might not be the best thing.

Anyone done the Guinness tour? Some place in Dublin
Yeah a few years ago. It's interesting and the bar at the end has decent views. Thing I found most interesting was a section with all the old Guiness adverts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom