IRC "Bouncer"

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The KEA clan use IRC quite a lot but for some odd reason we keep losing the topics. And the topics are an essential planning tool for us.

I have a feeling the topic loss has something to do with Quakenet or perhaps Q?

Someone suggested I get hold of BNC (an IRC Bouncer?).

Can someone explain to me, as though I was a 4 year old, how I can get BNC to work? Will it keep the topics alive in IRC?

Or is there an easier method to keep the topics in IRC?

The option of keeping my PC on 24 hours a day is not feasible unfortunately.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

:england:

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Netsplits are the cause of topic loss, along with server restarts.

When an IRC server reconnects to the rest of the network they always update the list of users and channels, however by default the topics aren't shared. So if the server you're connect to has got lost without any users and reconnects, it won't have any topic information until a user in the channel updates it.

The only way around it is to update the topic on a regular basis. You'd still need a script on your client or bouncer to update it.

Small disclaimer: Servers *can* share topic information - but only if they're configured to, the default is not to.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The topic gets lost everyday ie. we all log off IRC at the end of the day and the very next morning there is no topic. I assume that all the quakenet servers must therefore be restarted everyday which is a bit annoying.

I have no idea how to get a bouncer up and running let alone write a script for it to update topics :(

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
what do you use as your irc client

iirc in Mirc you could do a /timer command

eg /timer 300 /topic #kea "insert topic here"

the 300 is 300 seconds s oit would automatically change the topic over and over again every 5 minutes (300 seconds)

i'm sure someone else will corredct my bad syntax if i got it wrong but its a start for you Dys.

you could put that into your "Perform" section of your client so you don't have to type it in everytime

dysfunction

FH is my second home
hmmm....that sounds like a good idea although the problem is I would need the timer to grab the topic that is currently there as someone else may have altered it within that 5 mins...

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just do it through Q. I.e. a channel master can use:
/msg Q settopic #channel topichere
to set the topic in Q. You can then tell Q to enforce that topic and save it at all times :
/msg Q chanflags #channel +ft

Then, Q will have a permanent and forced record of that topic. Even if you can't see it, it's still there (which is probably what's happening with you).

A bouncer will have absolutely no effect on the topic coming or going, in fact they will make it less likely to retain a full sync with the server(s). In the event that you can't see the topic (even though you know it's there with the above Q modes set), use /msg Q settopic #channel on it's own to reset it.

Any probs with that give me a poke on IRC.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Indeed, use Q

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Just do it through Q. I.e. a channel master can use:
to set the topic in Q. You can then tell Q to enforce that topic and save it at all times :

Then, Q will have a permanent and forced record of that topic. Even if you can't see it, it's still there (which is probably what's happening with you).

A bouncer will have absolutely no effect on the topic coming or going, in fact they will make it less likely to retain a full sync with the server(s). In the event that you can't see the topic (even though you know it's there with the above Q modes set), use /msg Q settopic #channel on it's own to reset it.

Any probs with that give me a poke on IRC.

Thanks for that Kryten!

Will it keep the topic if someone else then changes it or would they have to then make Q set the topic again? with:

Kryten

Old Cow.
It pretty much forces it, the only way to change it is for a known users (with master or +t flag on Q) to change it with /msg Q settopic.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Sorry what I meant was if someone changes the topic will Q keep the changed version or the previous topic if I have done sent this to Q: "/msg Q chanflags #channel +ft".

I would like Q to keep the *Latest* topic version...

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
you can get Q to enforce the topic, that way topic changes can only be made via Q and Q will remember and enforce them

I'd imagine any op would then be able to do
/topic #channel what topic?

and Q would then override the blurb and set the proper topic

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The point is, the channel empties when everyone goes to bed, and Q leaves with them. if I'm the first to join the channel in the morning when I switch on my PC, Q joins with me.

If someone had a bouncer, like I used to have from Jolt, there would always be someone in the channel, and hence I suspect Q wouldnt leave.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
What my learned colleagues are getting at is we have names in the topic of people who are available for our next match so obviously as soon as someone realises they can play they put their name in the topic. It causes endless shit when we lose the topic then forget who had their name in then come match time they aren't picked. Its strop city.

I had a bouncer once, I lost my IRC name Trem to it because I forgot where I got it from and couldn't renew it, at least that German immitator can't use it now though :eek:

Bouncers must be easy Dys, I had one years ago when I was at Yoda level of pootah use.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
What I'm saying is Q does this you twats

Code:
11:12…    · ·-—— #cs-b join ——-· ·
11:12…                    users: 1 users, 1 opped, 0 voiced, 0 regulars
11:12…                    sync: 0.03 seconds
11:12…    · ·-—— join end ——-· ·
11:12… Q has joined #cs-b
11:12… *.quakenet.org sets mode: -o+tnCNo meg|work Q
11:12… Q sets mode: +o meg|work
11:12… Q changes topic to: Meg has been meessing around with www.cs-b.net // Anyone want a @cs-b.net e-mail address, let meg know // Anyone got/getting TF2? // Happy New Year \o/
11:12… —Q— [#cs-b] Welcome to [CS-B] / http://www.cs-b.net

You do not need a bouncer to retain a topic.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well...Throd has used the "/msg Q chanflags #channel +ft" thing last night so hopefully this will solve all our woes (We'll see what happens today)...if not then we'll get Kryten to beat up Meg and sort something else out!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Didnt work Dys. I think Meg isnt actually grasping what is being said.

Let me say it again. The topic is updated all the time, to show who's available for css matches. However when there is no one in the channel, Q leaves the channel and the topic disappears. When we return in the morning, there is no topic and no way to retrieve it reliably. That is what we are trying to do.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Throd, what happens when you type: /msg Q settopic #channel

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
No no no, you shotgun wielding cockmonger I understand fully! The code I pasted shows what happens when I join a dead channel that's still part of my auto joins, Q sets the topic all by its little self :p

Q must be set to remember the topic. It is also more than likely that you need to use Q to change / update the topic with who is/isn't playing using its command.

If it helps
Code:
13:41… —Q— Current channel flags for #cs-b: +befjptw

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Aha I see. Kind of.

So what is the exact command to set this please?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
heres a question? why use IRC for this at all? it seems to be just a tad more work then its worth. wouldn't a small private forum do the job alot better (and easier)?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not really no. IRC is an interactive gathering spot where you can check everyone is there before a match or argue about things in real time.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Plus being properly real time has it's benefits. Forums are annoyingly slow for arranging matches. I remember doing it all via ICQ before, which was half way between forum and IRC, and the move to IRC (the newly emerging Quakenet) was an absolute godsend.

Failing that, if a presence on the channel will help anyway - why not invite something like snailbot, fishbot etc - /invite fishbot #channel (or is it /invite #channel fishbot) - it might be utterly useless but it's fairly reliable and always there. Just don't op it.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
For simple people:

Owner of the channel sets Q to be in control of the topic and force it to be set to what he has been told to set the topic to:

f = force topic, Q controls it.
t = save the topic

Something like:

/msg Q chanmode #channel+CnNt

Would also be good.

C = no colours
n = no external messages
N = no channel notices
t = only ops can change topic

Then whenever you change the topic do it like this:

/msg Q settopic #channel MY TOPIC MOFO!

Q will then set the topic and remember it. He'll therefore restore it if everyone (including himself) leaves. He'll probably not restore it if the specific server you're on loses it etc., so you'll have to poke him to change it and restore it etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom