iPods....?

Nazgul

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

I am looking to buy an mp3 player with about 40GB hard drive and was wondering if the iPod was the best option because I keep hearing about all these other models being released by Sony and Creative etc. If the iPod is not recommended can anyone recommend anything else?

Thnx :)

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I have a creative Zen NX which has a 30Gb HD I paid £200 from Amazon but I think they no longer do my model. I would say go with Creative as they are cheaper and tend to have bigger memory on them, the bigger ones aren't as stylish as the iPod's but the new Creative ones look alot better than the iPod check out creative.com for them.

Also iPods don't take WMA files.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I couldnt get on with iPod...I took it back. They wont work with certain firewire chipsets (texas instruments in my case), and my (old) computer didnt have USB2 (iPODs dont use USB1 as far as I know).

But people rave about how good they are, just not me.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Going from a Zen USB 2.0 after a year to a 40 gig 4th Gen iPod i would honestly have to say a creative player.... The ipod is lovely, gorgeous touch wheel, chromed back, nice navigation and absolutely awesome for showing off to friends. But. And its a big but. Its fucking useless in real life! You have to buy a cover for it - i didnt and went to london one week and came back with a beautifully scratched iPod, 3 days after getting it! Was so pissed off. Its gorgeous, but unless you walk around in shrink wrap wooly trouser pockets its going to get abuse (i say abuse, normal wear and tear).

Scratches aside, i love it, but fgs, if apple knew its so unportable (scratches are supperficial 'so what') why not provide it with a cover? I have a 4 year extended warranty on mine so its no biggy, but its not what id call portable. Id rather have a 'slightly' bigger creative variant which would be slightly bigger but also not play on your mind every time you fart sideways.

And if you can live with that fine, also get anapod from www.redchairsoftware.com which will make it usable so you dont have to use the wank infested dirge that is iTunes (ephpod - even being free is no match).

I love my ipod, but it makes me think about why i dont want kids... Just dont want the hassle.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
When Catsby purchased his 40gb iPod, it came with a black clip case, amongst other things.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
iPod is style over sense. Very nice, but you pay a premium for it. If its just going to sit in your pocket, I'd advice the creative, or perhaps an archos.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I heard the small Archos one in Dixons. Not very nice. It was £175 for 4gigs I think, and the styling wasn't as good. I might get my sister a purple Creative one, slightly more expensive than an iPod, but comes in purple and has 5GB. Not heard it in action though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You mean the sound quality wasn't that much good? I can't say tbh, I haven't heard any of them, but perhaps you listened to highly compressed tracks? Dunno tbh :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
Maybe. And it was really loud. But my iPod doesn't crackle like that when it's that loud.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Catsby said:
When Catsby purchased his 40gb iPod, it came with a black clip case, amongst other things.

Catsby doesnt have a 4th gen ipod then :)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I had an iPod but it developed a hd problem. I got it replaced and that developed the same problem. In the end I bought the HP ipaq PDA, rx3715 mobile media version [costs about the same as a 40GB iPod]. It uses sd cards and whilst it doesn't have the capacity, mine only has a 1 Gb sd card, the sound quality is much better. I also have bluetooth headphones [HP] and so no wires to tie you down. They are very handy. I thought you should consider more funky alternatives, if you are going to spend that kind if dosh.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Go for a creative zen the battery life is lots more than an ipod. A few of my mates have these and they are pretty shit hot.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Was just stating that the 4th gen doesnt come packaged with a cover. I havent tried the 3rd gen, only problem with that for me would be the lesser battery life. Saying that my iPod doesnt compete with my old zen even tho it is supposedly meant to have a longer life.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I got the Ipod Photo (I wanted a colour screen, not this black and white tosh - Its taken me 5 years to get around to update my mobile phone so I thought I ought to be on the cutting edge for the ipod...)

The iPod Photo came with a cloth bag, clip thingy, dock, USB cable and firewire cable. It seems really sweet so far, only had it a couple of weeks.

Although the manual states that it has to use firewire or USB2.0, Ive been using it fine (albeit slowly) with USB1.1.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I'm quite tempted to buy one for me creative zen touch from that site Tom, damn you!

:p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've just ordered a denim blue leather wallet from that site, with my name laser engraved on it.

Seriously they are fab, and the exchange rate is quite good right now.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I had a ostrich skin wallet once...it smelt really bad...it had these huge pock marks where the feathers were inserted ;)

Nazgul

Fledgling Freddie
I am tempted to get the iRiver HP-140 as I read a PC Pro review and it seemed to beat the iPod on most things, and I like the way it plays OGG Vorbis (I dont wana start a debate, thats just my opinion) but I'm gona wait until after xmas and see what the prices are like as its still a hard choice between that and an iPod

oh and those iPod cases are sweet

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom