iPods

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've seen a worrying amount of these things go wrong, although my own experience is with 4 Creative JB3s going wrong and eventually replaced with a Zen which has so far worked without any problems /Touch Wood

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Aye, there's a lot of failure rumurs going around at the moment - 18 month battery life was the most worrying I heard. It'll become clear fairly soon which of the rumurs carry weight.

As for the Zen: My brother has one, and loves it, he had some faffing with Firmware initially, but seems to have it up and running lovely now.

Embattle

FH is my second home
In one of the weeks recently they sold 12,500 iPods...they can't make em quick enough which would make you wonder if they can make they properly at higher rates :(

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Indeed - I'm currently torn between an iPod (expensive, but wonderful unless it breaks), a Zen (slightly less wonderful, but cheaper) or keeping my bitch-ass money (very cheap, but not at all wonderful).

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm, personally I would go for the standard, as I haven't got nearly enough music to fill an Xtra version (a paltry 4 gigs)

Link0r

Embattle

FH is my second home
That one is good too, I have the original Zen 20gb and I can't honestly fill it up with music....although with a larger HD I could increase the bit rate from 192 to 320.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I've been considering getting a Zen NX, but then, I really want to save up a few more hundred and get me a new bass. Choices :(

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
tRoG said:
I really want to save up a few more hundred and get me a new bass. Choices :(
yamamoto-sea-bass.gif

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
my iPod is teh spinkeh, no issues as yet in use, though the diagnostic app in its bootloader reckons the harddisc is on the way out :(

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
i too love my pod.

having said that i've had it less than a month.

(but it really is the sex)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
If you're so uber, why is your signature full of all the things you used to do? :p
Conchaber said:
No Longer playing DAoC
50 Scout Deadeyes [R.I.P]
50 SB gimp Conchabar [Inactive]
50 Savage Conchubar [Inactive]
<Was DaOC Beta Tester back in the day >
<Was Eve Beta Tester>
<Was SWG Beta Tester>

Clown

Part of the furniture
Why does 'originally posted by' come inside the quote box? Looks weird :(

Caged

Fledgling Freddie
Hardly any 20gig iPods available anywhere in the UK. Our shipment got sent to the USA :(.

14 thousand orders just in various John Lewis branches for them . . .

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Really, 18 months for a battery is pretty damn good. You guys don't have to pay 4 * £350 for batteries that will last about 4 years. Think yourselves lucky!

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
Really, 18 months for a battery is pretty damn good. You guys don't have to pay 4 * £350 for batteries that will last about 4 years. Think yourselves lucky!
18 months is based on an estimated 500 charges, it's only the hardcore who charge their ipods nightly and commute 3+ hours a day, listening to it while they travel and whatnot that will hit that figure, the rest of us mere mortals might see double that in practice :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
But that was what I was planning on using it for... listen to music as I commute to work and maybe while I'm there too :(

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Clown said:
But that was what I was planning on using it for... listen to music as I commute to work and maybe while I'm there too :(
If you're lucky enough to have a Mac on yer desktop then just hook the iPod into a free firewire socket and play the music off it via iTunes... actually thinking about it you don't even need a mac for that now as the 'doze version does it too. Zero power draw on the iPod, and tunes all day - leaving enough battery for the trundle home

www.itunes.com

Just make sure that you're actually allowed to listen to music at work first :) and if you don't have a firewire port in your desktop machine then either get the USB2 lead for the new iPods or stick a PCI firewire card in your system, total cost about £20.

(note, the USB2 lead doesn't trickle charge the iPod in the same way, so you'll notice some power drain using it with that connection...)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Is it just me, or does Firebird do something REALLY odd with the quote box in the above post?

Xav

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
Is it just me, or does Firebird do something REALLY odd with the quote box in the above post?
How weird is weird? hehe. The new vB3 adopts XHTML 1.0 Transitional standards, which is a very positive move. However, Firebird (and all modern Mozilla browsers) use a stricter method of rendering standards compliant pages, which means that below-par CSS and/or XHTML markup can create odd results. The old vB2 boards didn't try to adopt standards in any major way, and so a looser, more fault-tolerant rendering system (known as 'quirks' mode) is applied to such pages. Moving from one system to the other can take a bit of work to refine the code.

Anyway, that's all very techie, sorry. Hopefully these bugs (and quite a few other ones) will ironed out prior to the final release.

Kind Regards

Clown

Part of the furniture
Xavier said:
If you're lucky enough to have a Mac on yer desktop then just hook the iPod into a free firewire socket and play the music off it via iTunes... actually thinking about it you don't even need a mac for that now as the 'doze version does it too. Zero power draw on the iPod, and tunes all day - leaving enough battery for the trundle home

www.itunes.com

Just make sure that you're actually allowed to listen to music at work first :) and if you don't have a firewire port in your desktop machine then either get the USB2 lead for the new iPods or stick a PCI firewire card in your system, total cost about £20.

(note, the USB2 lead doesn't trickle charge the iPod in the same way, so you'll notice some power drain using it with that connection...)
But still gonna be draining the battery on the train. I would expect to be able to use these batteries for more than a year before shelling out big money for BATTERIES. Booooooooo! :(

Oh, and I noticed something with the quote boxes earlier this thread ;)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
oddness, for some reason whichever quote box comes last on the page, it doesn't seem to complete and instead joins with the edge of the table frame...

checking it from Byms PC (who I've also converted to firebird) hers is flawless, it's just mine that's b0rking... I guess it's just 'speshul' heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom