iPod video

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
well i had to settle for a iPod instead of my preffered choice of the sonyAW3000, or the iaudio x5L. So im a bit confused now by what videos i can put on it, i've tried converting a few to "aac" in i-tunes but been hit with "unknown error -50". The videos i have wont be transfered to player because it says they cant be played on it.

I've read the apple site and it says it plays mpeg-4, but what exactly is mpeg-4? theres an option to convert files to aac as i said before but that doesnt seem to work so. What files should i be looking to get, and are there any converters that i can get for free that will allow me to convert files to mpeg-4 and put them in i-tunes and transfer over?

by the way i still hate apple but meh.

- English -

Resident Freddy
I am after an ipod.. those videos ones look rly cool... any tips on which to get?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
- English - said:
I am after an ipod.. those videos ones look rly cool... any tips on which to get?

i've got the 30gig video one, black. tbh i wouldnt recomend it :( id recomend the sony or the iaudio x5L. im bias against apple tho :), in honesty i like my ipod, it looks cool, sound quality is alright, headphones are balls (white headphones? with a black ipod? pffft give skullcrushers)

- English -

Resident Freddy
Lol, why dont u reconmend it? my other mate didnt aswell? whats wrong with em?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Aoln said:
They're just a hyped up pile of shit.

there hyped up far too much, but there not a pile of shit imo. id definatly go for a iaudio but i really didnt have the choice so, how can i get videos onto my ipod :D. anyone know? come on someone must :worthy:

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Looks like i need a video converter to convert mpeg, and avi filest to MOV and mpeg-4 files, does anyone know where i can get one for free? thank you!

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
kk, the ipod video rocks, great quality and can store fuck loads of video - about less than 1gig for an hour of video due to it being in mpeg-4 format, but looked at other mp3 video players on the market and they all use this format. the only thing id change about my ipod is its make and the battery time but apart from that :p. <still a apple hater>

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
geeks hate pods cos they are last years technology in a fancy box, you do get disk space for your buck though, apple get their flash and drives cheaper than anyone, well until the Korean monopolies board went hang on!!!

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Job said:
geeks hate pods cos they are last years technology in a fancy box, you do get disk space for your buck though, apple get their flash and drives cheaper than anyone, well until the Korean monopolies board went hang on!!!

music still seems to be limited, 7.5k songs on a 30 gig hard drive? while sony offer 13k on a 20gig mp3 player. the video quality is good, i dont know much about video tho so, but id expect good quality from 100mb videos on such a small screen (for personal use the screen is a decent size but i mean size of file, size of screen, and videos play back at up to 2.5mbps so).

Comos

Loyal Freddie
To clear up some confusions about the differences between containers, compressors and codecs:

AVI is a container. Just like .ASF and .WMV. The data stored in this container (the audio and video stream) can and most likely will be encoded, in order to significantly reduce file size. The most popular encoders today are divx and xvid. The .AVI file only contains info on which encoder has been used and so, in order to view the file, it needs to be decoded again. For divx and xvid encoded movies you will have to have the divx and xvid codecs installed. They are called codecs, because it refers to encoder-decoder. When you have the divx codec installed, for example, you are not only able to watch dvix videos (during which they are decoded) but also to encode your own video files in divx with software like VobSub, Adobe Premiere, ...
MPEG-4 is a compressor and both divx and xvid are MPEG-4 codecs because they use the MPEG-4 compression method.

Basically MPEG-4 is the latest video compressor.
First we had MPEG which is VHS quality.
Then MPEG-2 which is DVD quality. (It's the compressor used on the files of a normal video DVD disc). The file size is an average 5 gig / movie.

And for about 6 years now we have MPEG-4 which is (near)-DVD quality but at very small file sizes. An average 700 MB / movie.

For audio the most known compressor is ofcourse MPEG 1 layer III or in short mp3.
And so an AVI file can have, for example, a video stream compressed with MPEG-4 using the xvid encoding and an audio stream compressed with MP3.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Comos said:
To clear up some confusions about the differences between containers, compressors and codecs:

AVI is a container. Just like .ASF and .WMV. The data stored in this container (the audio and video stream) can and most likely will be encoded, in order to significantly reduce file size. The most popular encoders today are divx and xvid. The .AVI file only contains info on which encoder has been used and so, in order to view the file, it needs to be decoded again. For divx and xvid encoded movies you will have to have the divx and xvid codecs installed. They are called codecs, because it refers to encoder-decoder. When you have the divx codec installed, for example, you are not only able to watch dvix videos (during which they are decoded) but also to encode your own video files in divx with software like VobSub, Adobe Premiere, ...
MPEG-4 is a compressor and both divx and xvid are MPEG-4 codecs because they use the MPEG-4 compression method.

Basically MPEG-4 is the latest video compressor.
First we had MPEG which is VHS quality.
Then MPEG-2 which is DVD quality. (It's the compressor used on the files of a normal video DVD disc). The file size is an average 5 gig / movie.

And for about 6 years now we have MPEG-4 which is (near)-DVD quality but at very small file sizes. An average 700 MB / movie.

For audio the most known compressor is ofcourse MPEG 1 layer III or in short mp3.
And so an AVI file can have, for example, a video stream compressed with MPEG-4 using the xvid encoding and an audio stream compressed with MP3.

Ahh kk, thanks for clearing that up :). Also - videora is a freeware program that converts files to work on the ipod (should also work for the iaudio mp3/video player since they seem to use the same file type).

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Comos said:

snip

rep point for joo

Dont buy Ipod Video's, the screens crack if you so much as cough on them, (fell out my pocket and dropped on a carpeted floor)
Took 2 weeks of back and forth to get them to admit it was their fault and eventually got myself a refund.
Never buying an Ipod again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom