iPhone 4 battery shenanigans

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My iPhone (4 still running ios4) has suddenly started to drain its battery twice as fast. Literally started overnight. Anyone know if any external factors could be at play, or is this just to be expected with Apple shite? (Got the phone last May).

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nothing that I've heard on the grapevine.

Have you installed anything lately?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It could be reception issues, if a mast is down or has a fault in your area, your phone will use more battery signal searching. Check with your network operator first.

rynnor

Rockhound
Are you keeping it in a colder environment? That flattens the battery pretty fast.

DaGaffer

Are you keeping it in a colder environment? That flattens the battery pretty fast.

well my office is fucking freezing, but I doubt its that. I don't think its reception thing either as its draining just as fast at home as work. I haven't really installed any new apps that could account for the problem either; in fact the iStat app I installed yesterday to see if there were any processes causing havoc isn't showing anything untoward, in fact iStat itself is using the largest amount of active memory of all the processes shown, end even then its not that much. I'm leaning towards the theory the battery itself is a dud. Which is a pain in the arse.

rynnor

Rockhound
You didnt manage to completely discharge it somehow?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Maybe you left it switched on, that will drain the battery. Tomorrow try kepping it switched off all day and see if that improves the life of the battery, i'm thinking it will

but hey, what do i know?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
well my office is fucking freezing, but I doubt its that. I don't think its reception thing either as its draining just as fast at home as work. I haven't really installed any new apps that could account for the problem either; in fact the iStat app I installed yesterday to see if there were any processes causing havoc isn't showing anything untoward, in fact iStat itself is using the largest amount of active memory of all the processes shown, end even then its not that much. I'm leaning towards the theory the battery itself is a dud. Which is a pain in the arse.
Only thing I can think of then is data use increase. It could be trying to send out crash reports to Apple or sync to iCloud if you've got those enabled.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Has your background changed? Use a black one to improve duration

DaGaffer

rynnor said:
You didnt manage to completely discharge it somehow?

Well, yes, that's when I realised there was a problem, when my fully charged phone was dead overnight.

Edmond said:
Maybe you left it switched on, that will drain the battery. Tomorrow try kepping it switched off all day and see if that improves the life of the battery, i'm thinking it will

but hey, what do i know?

Why didn't I think of that? Infinite battery life! :rolleyes:

Mystic G said:
Only thing I can think of then is data use increase. It could be trying to send out crash reports to Apple or sync to iCloud if you've got those enabled.

I was thinking the same. The logical culprit would be if our IT dept has dicked around with Exchange, but they say not and there's no obvious increase in data traffic on my O2 account (although I'm aware constant pinging wouldn't necessarily translate to lots of data), but if it was work I'd assume others would be affected and no-one else is. I don't use iCloud, I don't even use iTunes. The only app I've installed before it started to screw up was a Zapatag (rfid based loyalty thing) points log, so I dumped that to see if it was the culprit. Seems not.

Bahumat said:
Has your background changed? Use a black one to improve duration

I've had the same background for over a month and the battery usage was fine until 2-3 days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom