Advice Interview Helps!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Hey,

Got a interview for Carphone Warehouse tomorrow, and I was going through some advice on other websites for their interviews, but no-one asked this, and I was wondering if it was a good idea; if I said I wanted to do the job because it offered a challenge, then use an example where a challenge isn't really needed, such as a checkout operator in a superstore?

Oh, and any other advice would be appreciated, thanks y'all :)

Thanks guys :)

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
"In my opinion" no, it's not a good idea. If I was the interviewer I would much rather you tell me how you see the job you want as a challenge, ie, learning about new technology, keeping up to date to give the best advice, making sure you give the best advice for each different customer.

Sit and write a list of competencies you think will apply to the job and match each one with a relevant example from your past. Customer service, IT, teamwork, working alone etc etc. Be friendly but not chummy, maintain confidence but not arrogance, read up a bit about the company.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
You're looking at CPW so you're looking at direct sales. You need to come across as confident without being overbearing.
I reckon you should mention about a challenge, with the points Sydrik made about keeping up with new technologies so you can help customers with their unique requirements. Some people are Apple all the way, some are Android, some insist on Nokia, some *require* Blackberry... you need to quickly determine what the customer wants and guide them towards devices that fulfil their requirements. A big point to remember is that different phones have different profit margins, and while you can try to guide customers towards those handsets (good for CPW), you should also accept that customers might have an idea of what they want already (good for the customer).

In direct sales, upselling is the new commission. As long as you get it across that you're familiar with trying to sell additional accessories, that should score brownie points with the interviewer.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Whatever you do and however you may act, there's only one thing that will ensure a job for you in the eyes of the employer; your ability to fake affection towards footwear.

Gwadien

Thanks for all the feedback guys! :) Appreciated.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Whatever you do and however you may act, there's only one thing that will ensure a job for you in the eyes of the employer; your ability to fake affection towards footwear.
He means:

Pretend to like shoes.

For something like CPW you're going to need to demonstrate product knowledge, technology knowledge, brand knowledge. You're also going to need to demonstrate how best you would problem solve as customers are all different.

Good luck, let us all know how it goes!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Quite, though it's good advice. Pretending to like the product/service the company provides will take you palces :D

Nate

FH is my second home
They want you to sell, so sell them the pen!

Gwadien

Properly fucked up, was seriously put off at the amount of people they were going through, and when I got there, I rushed the product review, and when in the waiting room, we could all hear their comments about the previous people as they were walking out, 'He was so good, he's definitely getting the job' etc... Didn't really help, oh well, hear back on Friday, all experience eh? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom