Internet

Laddey

FH is my second home
To cut a long story short my internet is getting on my fuicking tits.

Youtube videos only load up to like 50% then stop.
MSN messages dont send sometimes

Basically the internet is fucked. I can load pages up and thats about it, ive tried resetting my routers (a million times) ive tried using Ethernet cable instead of wireless, ive turned off firewalls ive tried everythings.

Any ideas?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
There could be many causes of the problems you describe. You need to give more information and eliminate possibilities.

1) Is this a recent problem or has your internet always been dodgy? If it has always been problematic, who is your ISP and what service have you got? It could be a problem with your line.

2) The problem could be caused by malicious software. You should always have a firewall up. Have you made sure you don't have any computer viruses or adware etc that could be screwing up your internet browsing software? Do you use torrents heavily (or someone you live with)?

3) Could somebody have accessed your wireless connection? Have you tried disabling the wireless completely and just using a wired connection? When you had a wireless connection was it password protected? Did you use WEP or a stronger form of encryption? Do you live in an area with many other wireless networks? If there are lots then there is a chance they could be interfering with each other.

4) Have you tested your wireless card on other networks? Does it work there without problems?

Laddey

FH is my second home
There could be many causes of the problems you describe. You need to give more information and eliminate possibilities.

1) Is this a recent problem or has your internet always been dodgy? If it has always been problematic, who is your ISP and what service have you got? It could be a problem with your line.

2) The problem could be caused by malicious software. You should always have a firewall up. Have you made sure you don't have any computer viruses or adware etc that could be screwing up your internet browsing software? Do you use torrents heavily (or someone you live with)?

3) Could somebody have accessed your wireless connection? Have you tried disabling the wireless completely and just using a wired connection? When you had a wireless connection was it password protected? Did you use WEP or a stronger form of encryption? Do you live in an area with many other wireless networks? If there are lots then there is a chance they could be interfering with each other.

4) Have you tested your wireless card on other networks? Does it work there without problems?

Hi man, thanks for the information so far.

It happened when i first bought my laptop like 12 months ago, then it just seemed to clear itself up. And now i've bought myself a brand spanking new desktop and it seemed to be doing the exact same thing.

There is no malicious software on it really, only that comes standard with the machine, all HP stuff etc. Maybe that could be it? I havn't got any firewalls on or shit like that, i disabled it to test it.

It seems to be definatly the wireless router, i plugged the ethernet straight into my cable modem and it works fine, top connection and all that shit.

I work in a PC repair shop and he said Belkin is a pile of wank. Im also on virgin isp.

There arnt any other wireless connections around here. Im using WEP-2, nobody can access it except the downstairs PC.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I am still not clear what the problem exactly is and I am still not clear on your setup.

Do you have a modem, a wireless router or have you simply tried both. Do you think the wireless router might be broken or is it just the wireless part?

If you think that the whole router might be broken it is often possible to get that replace free of charge from your ISP (I would recommend you check their website, it may even have some diagnostic tools). There is also the possibility that the wireless router is just a bit crap. If it was provided for free by your ISP it is probably crap, what model do you have?

If you think its just the wireless network then it may be worth changing the settings. I would recommend you try something other than WEP security. Also do activate the default windows firewall on your PC, it really won't stop you accessing the internet but will prevent alot of attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom