Advice Internet providers

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I'm currently on Talktalk and I'm thinking on changing provider as they have a tendency to overcharge me and their call centers are shit, I don't like talking to people I can hardly understand. I'm after a cheap internet service that has decent speeds, good stability and is unlimited (no monthly usage caps). I don't need any tv or phone packages as we all have mobile phones. Can anyone give me any recommendations and information about their previous experiences with their internet providers?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I'm BT and while their customer service is a bit shit most of the time, their actual internet service has always been first class, never had any problems. If I recall they're also doing a deal for Option 3 Unlimited at £13 a month plus line rental. Pretty reasonable to be honest. Might be able to get it cheaper with Sky but despite the improvements they've made I've heard a fair few people I know bitching about them.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
If you can live with a 60Gb cap, plusnet have been great to me. £14.49 pcm, call center in North Yorkshire with so far flawless service during the set up - I have 10 Meg connection which is the max for my street, but its usually a bit faster on the speed tests. I recall they also waived my connection fee.

I tried to go for BT, but they insisted on cancelling the security alarm service on the house which would have then needed reconnecting (read extra costs and irritation). They were useless and exhibited no knowledge of their own procedures :(

Last edited:

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I'm on BT, never had to ring for support so no idea what that's like. Service is great, get noticably disconnected (IRC notices ;)) about once every 2-3 months. Speed is ace.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Sky here, flawless. Pings are OK but typical for DSL services. Price for everything all in is a little lower than everyone else and isn't Talktalk

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Same as Kryten!

Though switching to BT for glorious 79 mb fibre in two months...on 3 mb atm!

Aada

Part of the furniture
Been with virgin since the diamond cable days on 120mb and never really had a problem at all.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
dysfunction said:
Are you after fibre broadband or just regular broadband?

Just normal, can't afford fibre.

Nate

FH is my second home
Eclipse have English customer service teams and know what they're talking about, they're more expensive then the big guys though.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Bigmac, could you use the BT Broadband Checker and find out the available services? Just give us the list of available products, their estimated speeds, and which exchange you're on.

If that fails, use Samknows and give us your exchange, and the estimated distance to your exchange (use Google maps).

The quality of the service highly depends on what telephone exchange you're on and which products you can get. A typical example of this would be to avoid BT for ADSL Max or ADSL2+, but their Infinity service seems to be one of the best and most generous.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Virgin cable here no real problems but like any big company their support can be shit

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have been using Sky for years now and am normally very happy. Lately I have been having problems and an email to customer services has left me rather pissed off. My router is fucking up and dropping all the time. Sky are saying despite mine being 6 years old the only way I can get a new one is to pay £59. So now I either switch to BT ready for FTTP (I connect directly to the exchange so cant have FTTC). Or I play the whole "put me through to cancellations" game which i just cba with.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
BT Infinity, never had a problem. Phoned them up the other day to see if i could sort my bill out, they packaged my Infinity, phone and BT vision service and trimmed it down by £15 pm. Im getting around 71mb up on a 80mb deal, not too bad

I also get around 32mb on the iPad too

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I have been using Sky for years now and am normally very happy. Lately I have been having problems and an email to customer services has left me rather pissed off. My router is fucking up and dropping all the time. Sky are saying despite mine being 6 years old the only way I can get a new one is to pay £59. So now I either switch to BT ready for FTTP (I connect directly to the exchange so cant have FTTC). Or I play the whole "put me through to cancellations" game which i just cba with.

Sky seem to have some sort of malfunction going at the moment - apparently they have got greedy and overloaded their network according to the reg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/sky_broadband_adding_customers_first_capacity_after/

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sky seem to have some sort of malfunction going at the moment - apparently they have got greedy and overloaded their network according to the reg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/sky_broadband_adding_customers_first_capacity_after/
If i start to lose speed that might be the final nail in the coffin, the only reason I stuck with them is because they do not oversell the service. And that was something they bragged about for years. I have not noticed a loss on speed my Router just keeps hard resetting itself. So I lose all my NAT's ect. When it happens 8 or 9 times in an hour you only get about 30 seconds of Internet access. I have a Draytek 2830 sat here that I "won" I would love to plug that in a prove the issue but that's not allowed.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If i start to lose speed that might be the final nail in the coffin, the only reason I stuck with them is because they do not oversell the service. And that was something they bragged about for years. I have not noticed a loss on speed my Router just keeps hard resetting itself. So I lose all my NAT's ect. When it happens 8 or 9 times in an hour you only get about 30 seconds of Internet access. I have a Draytek 2830 sat here that I "won" I would love to plug that in a prove the issue but that's not allowed.
I'm sure you could get that running if it spoofs MAC addresses, as all Sky does to fuck things up is base all the calculations on information in the Sky router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom