Internet Explorer...

M

Maljonic

has gone bad. I'm using Windows XP and I've somehow Spybot Search and Destroyed something so that Internet Explorer doesn't work. I tried re-installing Windows (not full installation) but Explorer still doesn't work. I'm currently using Opera instead but I think it's shite; does anyone know a way for me to get Explorer working again without fully re-installing Windows?

W

Will

Option A : Boot from Windows CD, choose Install, then let it repair the existing installation.

Option B : Install Firebird.

Since Windows Update still needs IE, I'd probably do both.;)

X

xane

Originally posted by Maljonic
without fully re-installing Windows?

XP is much more considerate than previous versions of Windows, a "re-install" without a wipe clean will simply overwrite the OS files and leave your applications, settings and documents intact.

I've done 2 re-installs so far, barely a scratch, although you have to re-install all the service packs again.

Also take a look at the Windows Components under Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, I think you might be able to repair IE from there.

C

Cloowwwnnn

Will Firebird let me browse in a separate window rather than a tab for each one?

W

Will

Yes, if you want it to. You get the option.

W

Will

There is a thread slightly further down singing its praises. I like it a lot.

W

Will

Originally posted by xane
Is Firebird on FreeBSD yet ?
Not unless you count Linux compatibility. Though for some reason it is available for OS2. God only knows why.

E

exxxie

Originally posted by Cloowwwnnn
Will Firebird let me browse in a separate window rather than a tab for each one?

You realise Opera lets you do this?

Alt+p > Windows > Window handling > Prefer seperate windows

S

(Shovel)

You do have to tolerate the ads in the free version though - and though Opera is an excellent browser, it's harder to warrent purchasing with browsers the quality of Firebird for free. FB isn't as slick as Opera, but it's easily slick enough (I think).

M

Maljonic

Opera is actually growing on me a bit now, apart from some pictures on sites don't show up as they should; sometimes they are sort of in the wrong place with a white band at the top. I did try re-installing XP as mentioned but it still didn't fix IE, neither did deleting IE and re-installing that. XP is aparently a bit quirky with its connection to IE unlike previous versions of Windows.

In fact, screw 'em and their hopeless helpline; I'll stick with Opera...

Users who are viewing this thread