Interesting read [DAoC 2..ish]

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Have you ever run ML raids with an insane number of drops? :p

You get 100 people joining a raid and they all expect a fair loot lotto, half the items you'd consider junk but you can't just delete them incase that one random roleplayer considers it to be such a great drop.

It's just easier to have a system where it auto lottos for you when it drops so you don't have the hassle of dealing with it. It's the sort of system which enhances the game.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
lol, okay :D

So they need to implement some sort of rolling machine which will make you win the roll more often Valg? :D

And random lottoing thrughout the raid?

bearhowaboutno.jpg

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
just read it and its spot on really there wasnt anything i disagreed with.

the thing that makes me really wonder is that no mmo that i know of and has succeeded has had a 3 realm system, in this daoc remains unique! and i cant help but wonder why? this type of system balances itself 1 realm gets too strong the others gang up on it

daoc 2 would have massive expectations to fulfill, probably too high. theres a high risk of failure especially in a saturated market, i know we all talk about daoc fondly but the the majority of the wow generation are simply going to say daoc what??

daoc 2 is the mmo many of us wish for more than anything else game wise whether mythic decide to do it and EA fund it is one thing doing it the justice it merits is another.

maybe its just best to let the old dog die gracefully as a pinnacle of what was and hope someone will pick up the model and gloss it up under a new banner

br1te

Loyal Freddie
ppl are used to playing WoW, and with the combat and movement there flowing so smoothly ppl just won't accept the 1980's character movement and dodgy combat this game has.

Never played wow, only seen videos ala leeroy etc and played WAR until that shitty lava BG and i really dont like it. You may call it "smooth" but the way it feels to me is unresponsive, unaccurate, just basically dumbed down for kids.

But obviously as has been said, the amount of slash commands, the fact the interface is 10 years old and hasnt been improved to be made more user friendly which it is so obviously crying out for.

I doubt daoc will ever get revamped anyway, WAR was meant to be DAoC 2 and they screwed that up by improving and fixing the mistakes they made in DAoC, unfortuantly making a hell of a lot of new mistakes while they were at it.

Ilur-OOM

Loyal Freddie
Pretty interesting read and I would surelly be +1 on the daoc 2 side! Just deliver it properly Mythic!

Marc

FH is my second home
Even if they made a sequel it would be nothing like the original because MMO'ers these days want easy games. Your average MMO'er wont like 3 realms or crowd control, 2 things which made DAoC what it was. Can you imagine your average WOW'er having purge down and their entire group just stood there whilst being picked off one by one. They would ragequit and uninstall and go back to WOW

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I can't understand how you can have an mmo without crowd control.. Means you can't take out larger numbers or do anything about tanks if they have decent healers

Imagine if they removed CC from daoc.. Mayhem

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
one thing that always stuck in my mind about daoc ppl bitched like fuck about CC but you never saw em complaining when it won them a fight ;) if you played smart you could turn it around on all but the best groups

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I can't understand how you can have an mmo without crowd control.. Means you can't take out larger numbers or do anything about tanks if they have decent healers

Imagine if they removed CC from daoc.. Mayhem

i wouldn't mind a game without CC, or atleast very very little of it.

in DAoC having CC is almost more important then having a healer....

CC removes alot of the "skill" needed to play the game imo.

or rather, the only one in a group that is required to HAVE skill is the CC'er :)

everyone else just mash the assist and /stick macro :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Never played wow, only seen videos ala leeroy etc and played WAR until that shitty lava BG and i really dont like it. You may call it "smooth" but the way it feels to me is unresponsive, unaccurate, just basically dumbed down for kids.

well, have to argue with you about this one.. :)

to me, DAoC is the dumbed down for kids game because you rely to much on slash commands like /face and /stick.

WoW and WAR or any other of the newer games don't have this, making combat alot harder and demands more paying attention overall because there's nothing that can guarantee you to stay on target if your a melee, in DAoC you /stick and smash the anytime style... ranged classes obviously don't have those issues in any game other then staying in spell range and out of melee range.

that's what i like about WoW and to some extent WAR, you actually have to work for your kills, you don't have any slash commands to help you in combat, you can assist someone but that's pretty much it.

and despite all the addons that are available for WoW and WAR, not many of them actually give a big enough advantage in pvp to be a must have.

/edit:
I doubt daoc will ever get revamped anyway, WAR was meant to be DAoC 2 and they screwed that up by improving and fixing the mistakes they made in DAoC, unfortuantly making a hell of a lot of new mistakes while they were at it.

the absolute biggest mistake they did was to ditch the 3 way RvR system.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
i wouldn't mind a game without CC, or atleast very very little of it.

in DAoC having CC is almost more important then having a healer....

CC removes alot of the "skill" needed to play the game imo.

or rather, the only one in a group that is required to HAVE skill is the CC'er :)

everyone else just mash the assist and /stick macro :)

To remove cc from daoc would mean removing the interrupt system. They go hand in hand.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
To remove cc from daoc would mean removing the interrupt system. They go hand in hand.

no they don't.

take WAR for example, there's no guaranteed interrupt on every hit there and only a select few ability's actually does a full interrupt. (/edit: and those ability's are designed to ONLY interrupt)

sure there's more instants in WAR but i'm fairly confident that something like that would work in DAoC aswell.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The current combat system makes DAoC what it is. I'm sure you could remove /stick, but then you'd have to increase the melee range by a large amount to compensate. You could remove /face, but you'd need to change movement so that characters stop the instant a user stops moving forward. The interrupt system sucks, but without it casters would be even more deadly unless you go for more rebalancing.

If you changed it now you'd be annoying the rather small active playerbase with the hope of "improving" it. You can be as confident as you want in how it would work, but it's been like this for 8.5 years now - I doubt players would consider a combat overhaul to be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom