Interesting new war game...

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I bet this will be on the news when it comes out. :eek7:

Kuma War

Check out the trailer , basically you get to download each month new content that lets you play out what has happened in real life, e.g. the capture of Suddam Hussein (sp) and other stuff the american army has been up to. :eek6:

It looks like a quite well made game though, just a wierd concept I think.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Eugh. Personally, the nearer violent games get to immitating a reality I can recognise, the more uncomfortable I get playing them. Yeah, it'll be just great re-enacting missions to kill AIs based on real people that really died. Most realistic war games are fairly insulting anyway, in the sense that they can never do justice to the people that were actually in them, and this sounds like it'll be even more so. Especially since it'll end up basically glamourising the US forces and depicting everyone else as gormless automatons, I imagine.

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
Does seem a bit sick re enacting people lives being lost BUT , it is just the same as the beach scene of D Day that has been included in many games.

The only difference is that was 60 year ago. Time does not make it ok so if we think the new game is sick so are most FPS games.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
True ,I feel a bit uncomfortable with Desert Combat sometimes .

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Louster said:
Most realistic war games are fairly insulting anyway, in the sense that they can never do justice to the people that were actually in them, and this sounds like it'll be even more so.

How can it do justice to them properly? Its a fucking game. I think you're missing the point of gaming in general.

This may seem like a :flame: but its more of a :twak:

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Yep and you're missing MY point. Of course it'll never be able to do justice to them, and that's why they make me uncomfortable. And I'm like throdgrain - even Desert Combat bothers me. "Gaming in general" doesn't have to include re-enacting things which actually happened. WW2 games I avoid. I can't just turn off the moral centers in my brain that're telling me that this is based, self-confessingly, upon some event in which real people lost their lives.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its fantasy based on real events, just like many other games.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I dont have a problem with WW2 games at all personally. After all, it was a long time ago, and literally countless films books and documentarys have been made about it , more than enough to allow me to forget the reality as far as it goes.
DC on the other hand, and I do play the game, is a little disconcerting, more tbh if you explain the principle to someone who's never played it ...

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Right. It's a sliding scale, and playing something which has been purposefully modelled on events one month previously is just way too close. Really, it almost sounds like its aim is to desensitise and brainwash the American youth.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I still think games are meant to be used to distance yourself as far away from reality as possible, but still in a 'real' (believable, authentic) sense.

Looks like I'll be playing fun and fast games on my own while the trend of playing 'realism' war/fps games and leave everyone to moaning that the game sucks and they can't do anything because it's a sniper/camping fest.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Swift^ said:
I still think games are meant to be used to distance yourself as far away from reality as possible, but still in a 'real' (believable, authentic) sense.

Looks like I'll be playing fun and fast games on my own while the trend of playing 'realism' war/fps games and leave everyone to moaning that the game sucks and they can't do anything because it's a sniper/camping fest.

I wish to subscribe to your 'bah humbug to realism games' movement's newsletter. Where do I send my stamps to ?

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
All I can say is shit happens. Like war for instance. Maybe, just maybe, making a game of something that happened a very short time ago is a little close to the bone, but where do you draw the line? How long ago is long enough?
Hence my "shit happens" theory. Wars happen, and making a conflict into a game doesn't really do much either way. I'm glad that so many WW2 games are about because we will be a bunch of muppets if we manage to forget that one, despite the French and Germans trying.
Personal preference obviously plays a part, but that begs the question; if you have issues with WW2 games, what the smeg do you play? Because I doubt very much that its fluffy bunnies collecting fruit.
If we never played games based on real events then we wouldn't play much would we. Even games like C&C are based on war itself, in which (not surprisingly) real people die.
Where is the line drawn that says its ok to play this, but not to play this?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Wij said:
I wish to subscribe to your 'bah humbug to realism games' movement's newsletter. Where do I send my stamps to ?

Simply stick them onto a thaiwanese boy and send them my way. You'll be sure to hear of some news.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
What? You reckon games are limited to being based on WW2? Playing only FPSs gets seriously goddamn tiresome, also - there are plenty of other genres out there. The thing is, making games about WW2 isn't "not forgetting", it's basically re-making. It's creating all this new, irrelevant crap and calling it WW2, which is part of what I find somewhat insulting. If I was living with someone that'd been alive during WW2, for instance, I would most likely avoid playing any games remotely related to it, for their sake. I don't generally have a problem with war type games, and "synthetic death", it's just when it becomes too close to something I can recognise (or think I can recognise - I don't really know why WW2 games bother me so. Maybe it's just the stark brutality of it.) that I get uncomfortable.
And like I said, it's a sliding scale. There isn't a "line" to draw, it's just a matter of degrees. Getting up to almost-realtime modelling of a war in progress is way too near the "really fucked up" end.

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
The WW2 games are so far removed from our daily lives as to be considered fantasy. While some may be considered realistic, it is realistic in a time frame of which we are unfamiliar. I have to admit to feeling a little uneasy thinking about the WW2 games, but the reason I have played them is because of the gameplay involved, rather than how close to the truth they may be.
There are other games which are based on a war, and some which are combat orientated but bear no relation to any real war. The fact is with most of these wars, is that they have entered in to a state of myth. The selling point of this game is it's ultimate realism, it is not an escape, it is a little too close to the mark for my liking.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Swift^ said:

This seems ever more the case, however occasionally someone will re-write the rulebook and be either shite or massively popular - changing the trend. It's a phase we'll no doubt get over sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom