Interesting interview with Mark Jacobs

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
Posted yesterday on Gamasutra.com: Gamasutra - Preparing for WAR: Mark Jacobs on Launching Warhammer Online

In here he talks about Mythic, where it was in 2001 (39 employees..) and where it is now. He also gives his view about WAR and why he thinks it's gonna be a success.

What I really like is that he shows a tremendous ammount of respect to WoW. WoW has changed the MMO-world forever, WoW set the new standard for MMO's. MJ Acknowledges that.

Anyways, it's a fun read.

Gorbash

One of Freddy's beloved
I loved the story about the UPS van knocking out thier game servers! lol

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
nice PR bit selective in his replies

"Then we started the second phase of the head start, for our standard edition, and that was a little under 48 hours. No crashes of the game; no crashes of the individual servers. [On Thursday,] we started the official opening for everyone. Again, no crashes of the game; no crashes of an individual server. The only time we took it down was [Friday morning] to put up a server patch, and it was actually back up before schedule."

he has omitted all the CTD's in his time frame, the server crashes on the EU servers

Soazak

Part of the furniture
nice PR bit selective in his replies

"Then we started the second phase of the head start, for our standard edition, and that was a little under 48 hours. No crashes of the game; no crashes of the individual servers. [On Thursday,] we started the official opening for everyone. Again, no crashes of the game; no crashes of an individual server. The only time we took it down was [Friday morning] to put up a server patch, and it was actually back up before schedule."

he has omitted all the CTD's in his time frame, the server crashes on the EU servers

I noticed that too lol

sure there were no server crashes, but people have been crashing from the game as individuals an awful lot. While it may be technically a different type of crash, it still has the same effect overall. Eight peaks has crashed a few times also has it not ?

While they may ommit the EU statistics from negative publicity, I bet they count us when they mention profits and amount of boxes sold!

Dredge

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, no mention of IC being down for TWO DAYS either. Its okay if the server is up, but if the main destro city can be accessed its a minor niggle ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
at that timescale I think it was fairly server-crash-free too...

Bear in mind CTDs are annoying but a server crash hits 4000+ people at once...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom