Installing new power supply.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just checking from ze freddies if there's some pitfalls etc i need to consider when switching/installing a new power supply.

Wouldn't want to blow my puter skyhigh :p

Guides would be excellent too.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
It's really straight forward tbh..

Just try to remember which wires go where, although you can't plug the wrong wire into the wrong socket, you want to make sure that everything that is currently powered, is powered with your new one. I initially went to swap mine with another as it didn't have enough adapters to power my new gfx card, the one I swapped it with (from another computer I have) had different connectors so I had to buy one.

I ended up changing it 4-5 over the last few weeks as I kept getting faulty ones :p

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If it has a switch for the voltage make sure it's set to the right one before plugging it in :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Wazzer, your advice might be the best of all as i'm sure i'd forgotten to check it :D

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
When I was young I made the n00b error of going "I wonder what will happen if I change it"

*POP*

*walks down the road to buy a new PSU*

Embattle

FH is my second home
Over a decade ago I found out what that switch was by changing it to 120v and blowing up my PSU.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
wow, I don't know if I should admire your curiosity or cringe at your stupidity :(

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wow, most of the power supplies I have purchased in the last few years have been multi voltage, do such archaic things where you have to set the voltage to 120 or 240 still exist?

Embattle

FH is my second home
wow, I don't know if I should admire your curiosity or cringe at your stupidity :(

It was a long long while ago even possibly pushing towards 20 years, back then I found out stuff by doing hence I was able build computers, work DOS, Windows 3.1, etc long before any one else I knew generally by failing and fixing which was eventually replaced by having everyone else's failures fixed by me. If I'm not mistaken I either wondered what it did or thought it might help in some way with the outcome being it neither naturally :)

TdC

hehe it wasn't a go. a mate's son -possibly one of the brightest people I know- broke his PC by using the same methodology :)

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Son, get off the forums and to school.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
What if power supplies are secret government monitoring devices? I'd throw it on the ground.

TdC

wait, you're saying you DON'T wrap your PSU in tin-foil?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Wait, there's another switch on the back of a PSU? <fli...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
When I was young I made the n00b error of going "I wonder what will happen if I change it"

*POP*

*walks down the road to buy a new PSU*

Did something similar many years ago. I just opened up the PSU and replaced a 20p blown fuse with a new one from RS Components :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Most of the decent PSU's now come with modular cable systems and have plenty of spares to use. I would recommend that any new Gaming PC has around 800W Supply these days. Especially if your using multiple HDD's and RAID along with a high end Graphics Card . Just got a 1200W one for a new rig I'm building.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6663

Should do for a few years.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, was a bit of a ? at times with all the wiring, but everything is plugged and all fans spinning. Even on the GTX560TI, which lovingly runs skyrim on ultra settings. Happy panda, thanks all :giggle:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
(give it 20 mins and he'll be back on "How do you fix a blown motherboard?") :p;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well yeah, i don't count my chickens just yet. Will have to run it a bit longer but *knock wood* and all :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom