Installation/Registration

S

SoWat

I'm having problems with my installation/registration of DAoC. I thought I'd post what I've done here, in case I've dropped a clanger anywhere in the process.

I've installed it as per the manual (accepting the default install dir).

Ran the game, and was presented with a dialog box asking for the CD Key. I entered the CD Key from the manual.

After the program updated itself, I was then presented with another dialog box for logging in. As I am a new user, I clicked on the 'New Account' button.

This brought me to the website where one registers. The registration server was down (until about 7:30pm).

When I finally manged to get through to the registration page, I entered all my details, including the CD Key (again!). Clicking on the 'Next' icon brought up an error message stating that the CD Key was already in use by another account.

I tried re-entering all my info, triple checking the CD Key as I did it... no joy.

Looking at the faq section of the DAoC site, I see an item with exactly the error messgae that I've described. It says that if this happens, I should return to the password screen (I assume they mean the game dialog) and delete my account details. Of course I don't have any account details as I never actully managed to complete the registration process. It also says that I could have already set up my account without knowing it (?) As I wasn't asked to define a user/password, I don't think this applies.

Now... apart from the errors, is this how everyone else has installed/registered, or have I missed something glaringly obvious?

Xavier suggests that somebody could have copied the CD Key, and is using it. Could be I suppose, but it was shrink-wrapped.

Customer support (sound of hollow laughter) has not responded to my emails, despite pledging to provide me with the best service possible. I can't post in the official DAoC forums, as I'm not registred (catch22 anyone?).

X

Xavier

if u bought it from game/eb/pc world some branches have shrink wrapping kit in thier storerooms according to my bruv

S

SoWat

I see that the registration page is going to be down tomorrow morning...LOL, just about the time I'll be getting home with my new copy :rolleyes:

S

Summo

Oh dear. :( Hang in there, SoWat. It is worth it.

If you ever feel like taking it back just hold on for a couple more days. It does take a while to get into the swing of it.

D

Damini

Someguy, what happened tonight? You missed all the fun :(

But, its ok. Aphex took some pretty piccies to show you :)

And before anyone bitches about tonight, I'll confess to having a very small concentration span and no sense of direction. Snivelling little winging pansys. Yes Aphex, mr Blend Into Foliage When Im Threatened, Im looking at you.

H

Hashmonster

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Oh dear. :( Hang in there, SoWat. It is worth it.

If you ever feel like taking it back just hold on for a couple more days. It does take a while to get into the swing of it.

i can vouch for that, i'm getting the hang of it now - and it's cool. Bewarned tho, you'll glance at the clock and time will have flew!

S

Summo

Haven't met up with you yet, Hash. We'll have to make a date. :)

Damini, for some reason DAoC just quit to the desktop. Dunno why; hasn't done it before or since. *shrug*

Was doing my play this evening so wasn't online during the most popular time, but had a lovely little sesh with Aphex, Louster and Xavier in the early hours of this morning. Marvellous. :) In fact its 5:45am and I've just finished. This game is addictive. :)

F

Fex

Well another day off wrok and another day spend in DAoC, looks like im an addict too then. Some more good fun tonight attempting to kill things ( I use the term attemp as we were ambushed and killed more often than not) still a very good night and im not looking forward to work tommorrow. See you on there tommorow night no doubt :D

S

SoWat

I f*cking give up!

Got a replacement, shrink wrapped, game (Xavier's right, they do wrap their own). Installed it, tried to register it...

...CD Key is invalid....

...FFS

Looking at the package, the map is missing, so they've palmed me off with a returned one.

Thank you Game, NOT!

H

Hashmonster

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Haven't met up with you yet, Hash. We'll have to make a date. :)

yeah, we shall - i'll even put on my best armour, just for u summo
which consists of only some gloves and boots :(

but i can wave my sword at u, it's my prize posession :D

S

SoWat

OK, after a period of thinking "Sod it", I've returned to GAME and received a 3rd copy (after a phonecall to warn them to have a new one ready!).

Installed it, went to registration page, Server is down. I was half expecting this, so it's more funny than stressful. it just means I have to wait another couple of hours before my current key is rejected.

H

Hashmonster

stick with it SoWat - if it don't work this time take it back, get a refund and buy it elsewhere. Cos it really is worth it.

S

SoWat

Well this is my final attempt at registering a store bought copy. If it doesn't work I shall order one online. At least I'll know for sure that nobody's been looking at the serial numbers. The GAME staff told me that they remove the contents, shrinkwrap them, and put them in a drawer (so nobody nicks them I guess). This is ok for 'normal' games, but I think for online only stuff, they should leave them as they come. This would enable purchasers to see right away that someone had been tampering with the product.

It's a pain, because I'm off to the US on Monday for 2 weeks, and I was hoping to get a little playtime in before then.

P

Pfy

My copy has just turned up in the post, now I just have to get home and install the bugger.

Anyone know much about the classes? I was a scout in the beta, but am not too sure if I want to be a Scout again (which is quite cool) or an Armsman type thing :\

S

SoWat

tadaaa!

And I'm in :)

Killed 5 snakes to help heal some sick totty. Didn't seem to get anything for it though.

Anyone know where the screenshots are stored?

S

Summo

In the root of your Camelot folder named sshot000.tga, sshot001.tga and so on.

O

old.Squan

Has only one actually registered first time?

Or is it a test of patience that every time you try to register the page if convientiently down.

H

Hashmonster

i registered first time mate, hang in there

O

Orin Askhammare

I've been trying to do the same thing. Nothing like buying a brand new game and not being able to play it fs :(

O

old.Mr Burns

heh yeah - please try again ina few minutes my arse!

O

old.Squan

I feel a bit amateurish.

Only been trying since 7.

O

old.Squan

I've been trying to register since I got in from work at 7 this evening. Just wondering if anyone else managed to register today as this is effectively wasting one of my very few free days until March the 2nd.

O

old.Mr Burns

Originally posted by Squan
I've been trying to register since I got in from work at 7 this evening. Just wondering if anyone else managed to register today as this is effectively wasting one of my very few free days until March the 2nd.

I've given up for tonight.

What free days? I thought you got a free month when you register

O

old.Squan

If you register on the English site you get until March 1st for free as well.

S

Sar

Your free 4 week period doesn't begin until you've actually registered, so you'll not "waste" any days as such. Any other free days are purely a bonus.

U

-Ultimate

Registration is still down, and no mention of it still on forum. I also love the way u can't post on forum till you've registered game, taking the piss methinks!:eek:

U

-Ultimate

News from forum:

Hiyas folks and ladies,

Yes, registration page is still down.
The techies installing the billing system are still working on it and we cannot open the registration page while they are.
We are really sorry for all the new players waiting to subscribe, we are working as fast as possible on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom