Help Ingrowing toenail

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
nooooooooo....watch and learn.

I have watched all of the operations on me feet - fascinating and sometimes barabric but you MUST watch them

Nah, considering what I do for a living I'm slightly squeemish.

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
All done! Feeling has just come back to my toes and I'm suprised at the lack of pain.

I was a big girl and I didn't look.

Gray

FH is my second home
Buuuuuump!

Looks like im having to get surgery possibly done on my toe now. Its an absolute pain in the frigging arse because its my middle toe.

I haven't had to have an operation for an ingrown toenail in about 10-12years now so i can't really remember what its like now. I'm soaking the toe in hot water nightly for 20-30minutes and putting some cream on to quell the swelling but i went to see the doctor tonight who said i'll be having some consultation on it.

The difference between now, and when i last had it done is the fact that im somewhat more active in a way... After you have the operation, is it easy/recommended to drive a car? How long was it before you can get back onto a normal basis of walking without it causing concern?

tierk

Part of the furniture
Buuuuuump!

Looks like im having to get surgery possibly done on my toe now. Its an absolute pain in the frigging arse because its my middle toe.

I haven't had to have an operation for an ingrown toenail in about 10-12years now so i can't really remember what its like now. I'm soaking the toe in hot water nightly for 20-30minutes and putting some cream on to quell the swelling but i went to see the doctor tonight who said i'll be having some consultation on it.

The difference between now, and when i last had it done is the fact that im somewhat more active in a way... After you have the operation, is it easy/recommended to drive a car? How long was it before you can get back onto a normal basis of walking without it causing concern?

Stick a piece of tissue around a match and wedge the tissue between the toenail and the skin inside the nail. Leave it for a couple of days and as it grows the tissue will force it - the bit that is cutting into your toe - out and you can just cut it off once it protrudes.

I had a killer one a few years ago and a mate sorted it in the way described above.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Stick a piece of tissue around a match and wedge the tissue between the toenail and the skin inside the nail. Leave it for a couple of days and as it grows the tissue will force it - the bit that is cutting into your toe - out and you can just cut it off once it protrudes.

I had a killer one a few years ago and a mate sorted it in the way described above.

Dont follow you, give diagram!

Gray

FH is my second home
I think i seen something like that on Wikipedia out of sheer curiosity for grossness. They seemed to wedge a toothpick or something under the nail, the problem is it is affecting my middle toe and the nail itself is already fairly small.

But ive heard about the tissue thing, not sure how it works though... especially if you bath/shower or put your foot in water, wont that just make the tissue soggy/deterioate?

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
Do NOT do as suggested above....the propensity for infection is huge. Soaking the toe in as hot water as you can bear with loads of salt dissolved in it will go some way towards drawing out infection, just make sure its kept very dry in between times.

In terms of surgery, they normally suggest you don't drive for 3-4 days post op, and that you wear a surgical shoe and dressing for 3 days until they check the wound. After that, its kinda up to how you feel, but you certainly have to be careful with footwear for about 2 weeks. Obviously not football or anything like that for 2 weeks either.

I'm not sure if you can buy it over the counter, but magnesium sulphate paste is VERY good for ingrown toenails.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think you can get magnesium sulphate over the counter... you certainly used to be able to. One thing I have found good is 'phytex paint' (sp?) which you paint on the nail to kill infections underneath... my sis recommended this and she is a chiropodist.

Users who are viewing this thread