Help Ingrowing toenail

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone got any suggestions as to how to sort this out before I book a doctors app. tomorrow?

Warm water & the curly scissors simply won't work at the mo. It's a thin bit that is lodged in the side and the scissors simply can't latch onto it.

Its seriously driving me insane.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Go to the doctors imo. I've had four operations for in growing toenails and it's horrific. Also don't poke about with scissors, if you cut yourself the chance is it'll get infected.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah see your doctor and accept his advice, not worth making it worse by trying self-help methods.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The operations are horrific or the ingrowing toenails?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I love intoeing grownails!!

They give me something to do when I'm bored. In my experience cutting away as much as you can bear then putting a plaster and cream on works *if* you leave it alone for a few days after doing that. There are very little things in this world that make me as happy as getting one out.

I can take the pain though (and blood) so I may be a one off when it comes to this sort of thing, which, in all honesty, fucking kanckers.

Have a long bath then have a poke around with a sharp knife type thing and go as low down the nail as you dare, often working against the way you think you should.

I take no responsibility for any loss of limbs or infection and if you listen to me you need your head looking at.

May I suggest a needle and a very sharp small Swiss army knife blade, they are my tools of choice. But seriously whack a cream and plaster on it and leave it for a couple of days and see if it helps, you do have to resist messing with it.....just leave it!!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
558394_lg.jpg

tbh.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
When I had some teeth out they used a pair of pillars nearly that size!

Now that was fuckin scary :(

P.S - Trem, I am the same. The feeling of pulling out a lodged piece of nail is just fantasitc.

Trem

P.S - Trem, I am the same. The feeling of pulling out a lodged piece of nail is just fantasitc.

the toe nails are tricky bastards though, they are never where you think they are, I usually dig as much as I can bear then leave them alone and they go away. I bet its on your big toe on the inside side, absolute twats they are.

If you are like me you want it out, done by yourself and no one else, this is where we fail. We need to inflict as much pain as possible to ourselves then LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
No offence Trem, but that's horrible advice :p - If an infection occurs it can quickly turn gangrous on the foot.

The operations I had were quite painful. The first two were local anaesthetic (one on each foot) were done by the local GP who must have decided he was going to be a surgeon that day instead of a GP. Anyway he fucked up sufficiently enough that I had to have general anaesthetic surgery about a year later to remove most of my toe nail.

It seems stupid going to the Doctors for something that is so trivial, but it can fuck you up if not treated correctly.

Trem

No offence Trem, but that's horrible advice :p - If an infection occurs it can quickly turn gangrous on the foot.

How very dare you :D

My advice is followed by world class surgeons the universe over. There is nothng.....NOTHING a good bit of stabbing won't cure.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Before following the advice of Trem, I must remind you that this is the same man who; could not protect a patch of lawn from birds, nearly removed an eyeball feeding a cable through some trunking, touched chilli onto his bellend and eyes -twice!

But by all means, go ahead and hack away at your toe.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I've had two done now, on both big toes. Painful as fook, best to get it sorted as soon as possible. Luckily my GP was a chiropodist so he did a very good job but the op still hurts, the needle bottoms out on the bone.

Also for future reference everybody, when you cut you big toe nails cut them into a V shape, it allows the edges of you nails to grow up and away from the toe instead of out and into the flesh.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Please stop telling me how painful the operation is :(

Gray

FH is my second home
Ingrown Toenails are a pain in the arse, i used to get them all the time on my big toes while in secondary school.

Pretty much what happened with me now is that both nails have been cut in half vertically, it is a pain at times because when the nail grows now, as opposed to it curving around normally it is sharp and jagged. Annoying as hell sometimes.

It didnt hurt during the operations though, the doctor was blocking my view so i couldnt actually see what he was doing [Phew!] but i recall feeling no pain, i just had to be careful walking and playing football for a few weeks.

At the moment one of my smaller toes is going through an "is it, isnt it?" stage. Some days it will be up like a balloon, other times it will be normal, it seems to have cleared up itself a bit now though, i hate cutting my toenails, theyre horrid.

00dave

The injection is the only painful part really, once it's all numbed up it's fine until the feeling comes back a few hours later. With me the doc cut along the edge all the way down to the bottom off the nail then applied some chemical along the edge that kills the nail and stops it growing in that direction.

And don't follow trems advice whatever you do (it actually sounds like Trem enjoys the pain :) ), all you'll end up doing is cutting the top part off and ending up with a jagged section at the bottom that grows directly into the meat of you toe, that you will not get too without surgery. The best thing you can do is like I said cut your nail into a V shape so that the middle is the deepest part and the corners stick out the furthest, it encourages the nail to grow away from the flesh of your toe. I've been doing this since my last ingrowing toenail which was in 2002, not had any trouble since.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the advice all.

I've decided to quit for tonight and after work tomorrow I'll get an appointment booked. Hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I can actually feel the nail and so on, it's just I simply can not get a latch on it because the flesh is too tender. With an injection, I think it'd just be a case of pulling the nail out of the bit its lodged itself into.

Dave I will definitely look into that cutting into a V shape! I get ingrowing toenails consistently, just like my dad did when he was younger and still occasionally does.

Thankfully I'm generally not that iffy regarding injections. After have a gazillion when I was young, one in my eye and a couple in the roof my mouth, I've just accepted them for what they are!

Now to go thoroughly clean my toe before calling it a night!

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
One of the other annoying things about ingrowing toenails - the 'amount' of pain is such a bad indication of whether its better or worse.

I've sorted out ingrowing toenails before that have hurt like fuck after cutting the nail but then cure up 1-2 days later. Likewise I've had nails that seem to alternate between really painful and not painful.

Blasted things - people really don't realise how much of a nuisance they are! :(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Anyone got any suggestions as to how to sort this out before I book a doctors app. tomorrow?

yeah stop cutting your nails so bloody short :) i had the same problem myself alot when i was young, and it went away after i stopped cutting my nail as far in as i could get away with.

00dave

Thats mainly because it's not actually painful until the nail breaks the skin, then it gets more painful as it becomes infected. If you can fight off the infection then the pain would be reduced, problem is it's very difficult to keep your feet clean enough all day long. Your best bet is salty water, alcohol, clean dressings changed regularly and if you must pick at it with an instrument steam it or boil it thouroughly before hand. I'm a sterile services technician so trust me on that.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Don't wear shoes and socks all the time. Bare feet ftw.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Pain was really bad this morning, had trouble walking in my tight black work shoes so I phoned in to tell them I couldn't do my morning shift (which was overtime anyway). The manager somehow managed to make it seem like I was a selfish bastard for not coming and that was the store was 'looking terrible' and there would be no-one to sort it out. I mean this is my second day off sick in two years+, and it's not even my contract hours and I work a damn sight harder than alot of the other staff, who she needs to be moaning at not me.

I really hate when bosses make you feel bad when you know you have no reason to!

Anywho, sorry to de-rail my own thread, going to book a doctors app. today and see how it goes. It hurt like a motherfuckin bitch last night, so I re-washed it and put on some plasters and wrapped around some tissue; i'll be damned if I know where we keep the dressing ;)

Trem

Doctors are the devils spawn!!

You don't need a doctor, self operations are the way to go!

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

Can only agree, Trem is wise listen to him. Get some pure alcohol or something to kill the bacteria or anything else from infecting you. And heat up the edge of your tools with a lighter before you begin operating.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Coming from you that sounds utterly terrifying. I can imagine an ingrowing toenail ending up with an above-the-knee amputation. On fire.

Uara

Part of the furniture
Coming from you that sounds utterly terrifying. I can imagine an ingrowing toenail ending up with an above-the-knee amputation. On fire.

Probably using some form of power tool or chainsaw!

Trem

Ha! :D

Enough of your flattery.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Dave I will definitely look into that cutting into a V shape! I get ingrowing toenails consistently, just like my dad did when he was younger and still occasionally does.

apparently this is an old wives tale and doent help (recently had my daughter at the chiropodist and was told NOT to cut the v-shape into her toenails.

ive had 4 ops across both of my big toes - no nail at all on the left foot and 3/4 of the nail on the right foot.

if you do it yourself, try to prise the nail up from the flesh to allow you to cut away the offending piece of nail. after you have cut it, try inserting some rolled up cotton wool under the nail (raises it up a bit).

Finally add some tee-tree oil as disinfectant.

Otherwise - see your Chiropodist - he can do it properly.

and for fucks sake stop biting your toenails.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Trem could skillfully remove the nail with a JCB I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom