ingame overlay problems ?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
steam forums

Recently there have been some issues with Source engine games and certain Anti-Virus applications. These issues can cause game crashes and prevent the Steam Community overlay from functioning.

- AVG 7.5 and NOD32 have both been confirmed to cause crashes with Source engine games. Here are some examples of the symptoms you will see as a result of this issue:

1) A warning message telling you to reduce your screen resolution
2) A error message about failing to lock the vertex buffer
3) The game hanging with steam.exe at 100% utilization (or 50% utilization on a dual core, or 25% utilization on a quad core).
4) A hang while connecting to servers

If you are running either of these Anti-Virus programs then they need to be fully uninstalled.

- Kaspersky anti-virus can prevent the in-game overlay from working correctly. Kaspersky has provided a work-around that can be found here:

System Problem: Antivirus or security software reports Steam is malicious - Steam Support Wiki

Please be aware that we are working with these companies to improve these issues.

As always, we suggest closing as many background applications as possible while you are using Steam. This includes Anti-Virus and Security related programs. For more information, please see:

~~

well that explains that then, sure as hell aint removing my AV tho :mad:

mank!

Part of the furniture
i must confess i've not had a problem, although i've only been playing tf2 - is that source engine?

Mabs

Half life 2 is Source engine, as is anything made with it, so yes :)

Poag

m00?
I have also not had a problem with nod32.

Also there are two "source" engines.

There is v1 which is HL2 HL2:EP1 DOD:S CSS etc
Then there is "Orangebox" which is HL2:EP2 TF2

All games will eventually be updated to the orangebox versions.

The difference betweent he two is mainly in the scripting for commands, opposed to gfx engine differences.

Nate

FH is my second home
I sometimes can't get it to work with Kaspersky

Bodzilla

Fledgling Freddie
i tried the fix with Kaspersky they suggested, and now my overlay works with Peggle Extreme. But not tf2 :(

Mabs

i got mine working 95% of the time with Nod32 by adding it to the exceptions list ;)

Mabs

i tried the fix with Kaspersky they suggested, and now my overlay works with Peggle Extreme. But not tf2 :(

lol half arsed help ftl

steam.exe is nice, the one you NEED is GameOverlay.exe in your base steam folder . add that and try again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom