index page??

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
ok, i've signed up to Burton to host a little site. however i want to use "index.asp" instead of index.html for active stuff. Now i should know this but doesn't the file have to end in .php .asp etc to make use of the scripting. In that case does that mean i have to set a redirect from index.html to an .asp to have my first view page server active??

help....

(also have this problem with a site im building on easyspace (yes i know they are evil, it wasn't my choice)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Web servers normally use the extension to work out what should be parsing the page. Most web servers also have multiple default documents, i.e. you don't need index.html, make your index.asp page and upload that.

If it doesn't work, then rename it to default.asp

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers! default.asp worked, would like the option to be able to choose, but hey ho.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Furr said:
Cheers! default.asp worked, would like the option to be able to choose, but hey ho.

‘default’ is the name for the homepage on Microsoft systems. Odd, but just something you have to live with when you hop between platforms.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
It is possible to change it in ISS but I think you need actual access to ISS.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
SheepCow said:
It is possible to change it in ISS but I think you need actual access to ISS.

That's correct. However, unlike Apache where you can pass in a lot of your own settings through a .htaccess file, I'm not aware of any such mechanism for IIS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom