In Pain :<

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Went gym for first time in about 5 years on sunday in my effort to go once a week to get back into shape and worked on my shoulders using the doodaddy with the 2 handles where you pull them and cross your arms over your chest,
yesterday i was in pain (as to be expected), but im still getting pain when i extend my arms upwards on the front part of my shoulders,
is this normal?
I did warm up and warm down (obviously not well enough), but usually im ok after a day of aching.

Any gym goers got any advise

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Get someone at the gym to take you through a proper, full stretching and warm-up/down routine. If you're not spending ~10 minutes stretching + warming up, you're not spending enough time on it.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i did go with a friend who goes regulalrly, the warming up i did with him but he left early so i warmed down on my own as i felt like collapsing i kinda skipped some of the things he showed me :p
/slap me ><

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Warm up and warm down

Drink water during exercise

For weights work, start off light, with 3 sets of reps at GENTLY incremented weights. Over time increase the base set weight.

Do take advise from the gym instructors. Thats what they're there for. That's what most of your gym membership fee goes to.

Check your weight-machine use / weight-lifting technique. You might THINK you know what you're doing, but a lot of ppl work out the wrong way.

When you pull a weight into you, release it back the other way SLOWLY.

My advice: get advice.

Will

/bin/su
When you first start excercise, the aches on the second day can be worse than the first. It fades as you get more used to it.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
if its the first in 5 years then im not suprised you are in pain. i did it the other day for the first time in 3 weeks and i was totally fucked.

smoking weed is good for relieving muscular pain

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You might find that your penis hurts the following day if you drop a dumbell on it. This is perfectly normal.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I always do some quick leg stretches then get on the treadmill and do 2 minutes light jogging/walking and then 10 minutes running. That leaves me ready to do a bit of long distance rowing (10k) and then weights after.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
as a rule the warm downs tend to be longer than the warm ups

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
usually the day after you feel less pain than the following 2-3 days at least in my case.

when i started to go to the gym, the day after i had pain in all my body, but the next day was like if i was in hell, every little move i did was a pain undescriptible (sp) ...

But it lasted 3-4 days, after that you can start doing exercise regularly.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
If you want to get into shape, try to go at least twice a week, and use smaller weights with more repetitions. The pain you feel is probably a good sign, unless you loaded on way too much. When i first started going back to the gym in March, i would hurt for 2-3 days after each time too. After a while the pain becomes much less and instead you start longing for the next session! Start real easy and increase slowly over time as you feel you can handle it. Best way to get into shape though, is at least 30 minutes pulse raising exercise every day, even if it's just a brisk walk.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
gardening is hardcore for exercise.

i did 2 hours today of pure shoveling, pulling and twatting things.

now i want to fall asleep :(

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
LOL what things were you twattting? Curse those dafodills they will get your wallet if you aint careful

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
LOL what things were you twattting? Curse those dafodills they will get your wallet if you aint careful
it's the dandelions, they were making him sniff them so he wet himself :(

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
I've been going to the gym regularly for about 8 weeks now, and my pecs still always hurt after doing pec flys. Try swimming a bit (breast stroke) if you want to build them up a little without shifting weights. Swimming is also great for your thighs and all your stomach muscles (not just your 6-pac).

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Naetha said:
I've been going to the gym regularly for about 8 weeks now, and my pecs still always hurt after doing pec flys.

I guess Lee has fun appling the nipple cream!

Naetha said:
breast stroke

*cough*

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Being in pain after training is perfectly normal.
If it's the first time in 5 years you could be in pain in a week, if you're really unlucky :p
But expect 3-4 days of pain after the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom