In-game voice chat

charmsdark

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondering if anyone knows a good (preferably free :) ) program for in-game voice chat?

I had a look at Game Voice, but their free version limits chat groups to 4 ppl unless someone's got the bought version. And even then for every 3 ppl extra you want to invite into the chat one person has to have the bought version.
Yahoo! Messenger works, but only problem is that the voices "overwrites" each other so if someone coughs or anything you can't hear what the other person said.

So, anyone got any suggestions?

<edit: Hmm.. maybe I should've posted this in the Off-Topic section..>

Labbe

Fledgling Freddie
Team Speak is a good program that my friends and I use. I really like it because of it's simplicity.

Teamspeak

/Labbe

Blondy

Fledgling Freddie
I'm only used to TS, but, it's good for having a friendly chat with your guildy's! you can make your own server and mod it and inv friends etc ! not tried vent but i heard its as good

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
Teamspeak is good, i use it and its quite light on ze olde bandwidth.

Ayana

Fledgling Freddie
I'd recommend using Ventrilo as well, sounds better and uses hardly any bandwidth at all using standard codecs.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Teamspeak works fine for groups of up to about 8, so long as you tell them not to all speak at once ;)

Using a 3rd party programme such as TS is against the CoC though I believe, so can only be used out of game^^

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
I dont think so Naetha.
TS only gives the same advantage those playing on a LAN have.
It doesnt affect the game in any way.

charmsdark

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks everyone for your help :)

I'll have a look at the sites and probably have a go at using both. :)

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
My virtual squadron uses Ventrilo when we are up in the sky looking for prey. Test both and see which one you all find easiest to use.

Teknoid

Fledgling Freddie
ventrilo hands down, unless you dont have broadband, then TeamSpeak. \o/ i get broadband tomorrow! :p

Talifer

Fledgling Freddie
frogster said:
I dont think so Naetha.
TS only gives the same advantage those playing on a LAN have.
It doesnt affect the game in any way.

I'm inclined to agree with Naetha, it's a third party app and it does affect the game. Saying it doesn't affect the game is like saying radar on a seperate box doesn't effect the game :) As for LANs, there's not much you can put in the CoC to stop that.

Talifer

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
Talifer said:
I'm inclined to agree with Naetha, it's a third party app and it does affect the game. Saying it doesn't affect the game is like saying radar on a seperate box doesn't effect the game :) As for LANs, there's not much you can put in the CoC to stop that.

Talifer

No its the same argument as the maps that are being integrated into the TOA GUI's
It is not against the CoC because it gives no more advantage than those who go to spoiler sights and print them out.
Just the same as Teamspeak gives no more advantage to those on a LAN and those would are rich enough/insane enough to conference call on their mobiles.

The fact is however, only GoA can answers this, i can only speculate.
So, heads up on this please Kemor/Erivoss?

Talifer

Fledgling Freddie
frogster said:
No its the same argument as the maps that are being integrated into the TOA GUI's
It is not against the CoC because it gives no more advantage than those who go to spoiler sights and print them out.
Just the same as Teamspeak gives no more advantage to those on a LAN and those would are rich enough/insane enough to conference call on their mobiles.

The fact is however, only GoA can answers this, i can only speculate.
So, heads up on this please Kemor/Erivoss?

It's not really the same as maps, maps are not real time information, you can memorise a map you can't memorise communication that hasn't yet occured. I agree Teamspeak gives no more advantage than a LAN, but that doesn't mean it's any less detrimental to the majority of people who play without either. Just because it's like a LAN doesn't make it acceptable, playing against people who use external communication is almost like playing against people using radar, the entire group gets an early warning if anyone in the group sees something (ANd no I'm not saying people who use external communication are as bad as those using radar, I'm saying the in game effect is comparable). On top of that it allows group members to give detailed information to each other that would not be available otherwise. Being able to impart this information through external communication gives a group a huge advantage over a group without it.

Talifer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom