Help Impromptu Build

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Thought you had a 4870 already? Are you looking at crossfiring them? Are you looking at overclocking? If so you'll need a better cooler, and then you can get an OEM processor.

4Gb will be fine, some motherboards can have problems with 8GB at the moment. The rest looks fine.

rynnor

Rockhound
Thought you had a 4870 already? Are you looking at crossfiring them? Are you looking at overclocking? If so you'll need a better cooler, and then you can get an OEM processor.

4Gb will be fine, some motherboards can have problems with 8GB at the moment. The rest looks fine.

I have the 4870 already just thought I would list it in case of incompatible components but I probably will buy a second when they come down in price :)

I wont overclock cos I'm lazy and favour long term stability/system life.

I looked at the RAM compatibility pdf for that motherboard and it only lists 1GB and smaller blocks of RAM - is it generally better to have 4x1GB rather than 2x 2GB?

Oh and thanks for all the great advice :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
No issue with memory - certainly get at LEAST 2x2gb otherwise you'll be stiffing yourself in future should you want to add more. At least 8gb is an easy addition rather than a replacement & loss of old parts. Those memory compatibility datasheets only exist to legally cover their arses should someone find something isn't quite right.

That processor is ludicrously expensive by the way, not sure if it's due to being the retail version or what but you shouldn't pay more than £90 currently. If for whatever reason that's the going rate get the Core2Duo e8400 or higher instead.

Otherwise will all work together very well :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
2x2 is better, the problems tend to happen with 4 dimms.

Best to get a good cooler anyway, they tend to be much quieter and cool better. Shame not to overclock with a Q6600 though.

rynnor

Rockhound
How bout this instead - only slightly more - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz Socket 775 1333FSB 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

Or this - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz Socket 775 1066MHz 8MB (2x4MB(4MB per core pair)) L2 Cache OEM Processor - Ebuyer

Or even this though I was kinda suckered in by the Quad core idea :)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz) Socket 775 Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

Edit - Oh and can someone point me in the direction of a decent cpu heatsink/fan please :)

rynnor

Rockhound
That processor is ludicrously expensive by the way, not sure if it's due to being the retail version or what but you shouldn't pay more than £90 currently. If for whatever reason that's the going rate get the Core2Duo e8400 or higher instead.

Oh it just occured to me that this price jump could be due to the slump in the value of sterling v the dollar?

rynnor

Rockhound
Oh nice cpu fan that - read some great reviews of it and reading up on the Q6600 seems I really must try overclocking it - will post another thread for n00b overclocking advice once I have the basics running :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Looking into the pricing now, it's all jumped up by a good 40 quid a shot - last week I bought 2 x energy efficient Q6600's at 85 each inc VAT.

Ouch, I'd be agreeing on the dollar/pound thing. Definitely look at the E8400 though:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139971

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, you want the energy efficient ones, not only do they run cooler, they overclock better as well. The only problem with them is they come with a much lower warranty.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I just got the 95W Q6600 with an Arctic Freezer 7 cooler. It Idles at between 18-21C depending on the ambient room temp.

My AMD 4600X2 with the AMD version of the cooler idles at about 45C!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom