Importing old firefox bookmarks to new HDD

Afran

Part of the furniture
I backed up my entire Mozilla folder onto an external HDD and put it onto my new HDD however the bookmarks aren't loading properly, only 3 out of 400 something bookmarks come up, I think I had this problem some time ago and I remember fixing it through Profiles or something but I can't find where that is, think FF has been updated also since I last used it, any ideas? :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
not for that specifically but maybe use delicious as a temp measure so you have them somewhere safe incase it all goes pointy bits up?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
You backed up the Program Files folder?

You need to back up your profiles. c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\

(c:\users in vista/7)

Afran

Part of the furniture
Think I just copied the Mozilla folder from Program Files

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
If you can still get to the original bookmarks in firefox (ie on the comp not the HDD) then in firefox go to "Bookmarks" at the top, and click on "organise Bookmarks" then in the window that comes up click on "Import and Backup" and select "Export HTML..." and save them whereever you want as an HTML file, then you can import them to firefox on another computer simply by selecting "Import HTML..." above it.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
how many? wow. I think i have around 7 bookmarked lol

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Do this...

Start > Run > firefox -profilemanager
Click on Delete profile.
Click on Create Profile.
Click on Next.
Click on Choose Folder.
Navigate to where you saved your old profile, highlight the folder and click OK.
Click on Finish.

Now when Firefox starts, you should have all your bookmarks.

I also recommend MyXmarks to synchronise your bookmarks across different computers.
Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

georgie

FH is my second home
Think I just copied the Mozilla folder from Program Files

Unfortunately that's not where profiles (and therefore your bookmarks) are located. I hope you still have your old HDD.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You have to put your old Profile into

C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

It will be called something like 57ec5svn.default

edit the Profiles doc in

C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

and change the path as below to be your backed up profile.

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/57ec5svn.default

But if you only took a copy of Program Files not the Docs and Settings Folder you have not backed up your profile,

Afran

Part of the furniture
Will try the suggestions thanks, weird though, I did indeed not back up the profile (and I cannot now) but it has somehow recognised 3-4 of the bookmarks yet not all of them, what explains that? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom