Important Steam Info. READ

C

Ch3tan

Guys couple of things.

Firstly, a treat for saving memory.
from Zonked @ Steampowered.com forums
Would you Like to Save More Memory When Steam is Running?
Hey guys! a buddy enlightened me to something here. Okay, I began to wonder why steam was burning like 20000-25000k in my process tree. Well we found out that if you have any steam windows open and you close them the cpu keeps burning the same amount. But wait! If instead of just closing the window, YOU MUST MINIMIZE FIRST!!!! I swear I was shocked at the amount of memory I was saving. Try it yourselves, Ctrl-Alt-Del and go to your process tab. Now look what happens when you close the window right away versus minimizing it to the taskbar, then right clicking and closing.
It must be poor management of the skins or whatever. But just remember this lil hint "MINIMIZE FIRST, then close, this way you free up all available memory."

Second and most important, the last Steam update and the subsiquent rollback will probably have deleted the info about your cache file. This causes Steam to want to d/l all your installed games again (yes every single file).

Taylor Sherman, Valve @ steampowered.com forums
Rollback & data download
There was a problem with the rollback, that resulted in the Steam cache files (.gcf) getting deleted. This causes Steam to have to download everything again. Steam will automatically do it if you set the games to "Keep up to date", but it might take a while as the system load.

People who didn't launch Steam during the time that the update was out (roughly 2-4:30 PM PDT) shouldn't have any problem.

Reading the thread it was posted in you have two choices. Let steam d/l the entire cache again (yawn), or re-install using the full installer if you have it (faster, a lot faster).

Hope this sorts any issues you guys are currently having. If your noticing silly pings its because steam is trying to update your files even though you have them. Mine has plain stopped working because of this.

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Valve really like to cock things up don't they.

S

]SK[

Nice one valve, should have left wank patch out tbh.

C

Ch3tan

BTW, I can confirm that a reinstall and small update to installed games works fine. Took about 10 minutes. All's well now.

Steam wont delete your config and server info or any custom content, and as long as you leave it in the same dir it will all be there when you install again.

S

]SK[

Custom configs/maps etc, I really cant be arsed installing them all again

Users who are viewing this thread