Important Information and Q&A!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dear Freddys,

please see below an open letter from David Petit, the Head Community Manager in Europe for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. This aims to help clear up any current confusion and also serves as a thread in which you can ask questions of the GOA representatives to help with your understanding of the current and future plans.

From my own perspective, I am somewhat disappointed in alot of the already inflammatory posting being made and I plan to close some threads which I feel are not very constructive. Please note: this is my decision as a FH admin, and not at the bequest of GOA themselves. I will also be reinforcing some earlier commitments I made when we first created this Warhammer forum area in line with preventing it becoming an unruly and flame-ridden forum as happened, at times, with the DAOC section. With this in mind, please try to make sure that your posts are kept polite and constructive, then I am sure we will avoid any unwanted mod-stick moments ;)

David Petit said:
Hello,
My name is David Petit and I am in charge of all European community management for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

As you know, we are approaching the launch date for the game and just as there is a lot of information released, so too will you have a lot of questions. This exciting but delicate period can create confusion between different sources with mistranslations that can result in apparent contradictions. These rumours and errors only make things worse for the WAR community. There is only one way to combat this: effective communication based on mutual confidence.

The objective of GOA for Warhammer Online is to make the game a success and the sole indicator of this is your satisfaction. Just as you may have read in various places, we have invested in a quality infrastructure as well as quality people in order to respond to all your concerns. It is this last point that I want to talk about today.

We manage five communities in Europe, with varied and diverse customs and it is clearly impossible to communicate in a single manner to all these communities without taking into account their nuances or adapting to their significant differences in sensibilities. From the perspective of effective control of our communications and to ensure we bring the best feedback to our partner Mythic, we have recruited community managers to work within each community. These are video games professionals who possess indispensible skills in their work but who are also players that love the communities they represent.

To avoid all misunderstandings, for clarification of a situation or to obtain official information, I recommend to you therefore that you turn to the community manager dedicated to your language. He can reassure you as to the validity of any information or discuss the details.

He will read your contributions, heed your opinions and requests, so do not hesitate to ask him questions or to address him directly. He is here for you and for the regulars of this place.

In collaboration with the administrators of this forum, this thread will in future be dedicated to all your questions concerning GOA and the operation of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning in Europe. Iain Compton and Magnus Kjellstrom, the community managers for your community will answer your questions as quickly and clearly as possible.

Until our paths cross in the Old World

Best Regards

David Petit aka "Citseko"
Head Community Manager Europe
Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning

Derian

Fledgling Freddie
When are we going to get any information on how you propose to manage the Account creation, Open Beta code access and general information to ease some peoples minds on how a game they have possibly pre-ordered is going to unfold in the next 5 weeks until the launch of WAR? So far we have had very little information on anything since the 18th Sept announcement was made.

We just need some clarification!

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Questions I can answer now will get an immediate answer, ones that require more info or a green light to release will be hitting David's email and we'll get you an answer back as soon as possible. The plan is that all serious questions will get answered.

Having said that, I'm going to have sporadic net access this evening and throughout tomorrow so I may not be posting here much until Sunday. Regardless of that, it won't be possible to get an answer to many questions until Monday at the earliest when people are in the office.

Derian

Fledgling Freddie
So will any information be getting released today? About the CB/OB, website or Code entering?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
There is only one way to combat this: effective communication based on mutual confidence.

100% agree. So why is information not only ineffective but also contradicting between which source you just happen to read that specific day?
Why is this piece not found on the first page of the website? It is these things people want to know, and crave to know.

To avoid all misunderstandings, for clarification of a situation or to obtain official information, I recommend to you therefore that you turn to the community manager dedicated to your language.

Funny - I would have thought such issues would have been found on the official site where it is easy to get out to people, so they don't have to scavenge loads of unofficial forums, through countless of posts to try and deduct the information.
GOA have a website. Posting actual information there would be vastly more productive then hiding them away in various, more or less angry threads.
That is effective communication, educating the communities and player base - and potential customers - where to find information will drill out many, many rumors and make your life much much easier. A lesson I find it very strange you, as a company, have not learned yet, and does not promote and pursue. It is communication 101, not something secret.

Also all this "information is coming soon, just be patient" information is not actual communication. People are craving information and "soon(tm)" and "to be determined" and "when we are ready" really do not cut it.

Lastly - when your CMs say they will get back with information, make them do so.
Saying the 7th of august that, one expect to return with new information regarding a specific situation, for example what GOA could do extra for the CE people in response to Mythic's actions, after a few days; then *do* return with something after a few days - even just "we could do nothing because our servers aren't up" would alleviate many peoples annoyances.
It is such apathetic behaviour and statements, completely ignoring peoples concerns which cause people to cling on every word and haunt every statement.

So if "effective communication" is any kind of goal to go by - then do live up to it, instead of this ineffective communication we see right now.

Communication will be even more important come live, and people *will* turn to the website for official information and not some obscure post buried in a long thread. That is *not* effective.

I would also seriously wonder why you (as a company) still have the following listed as official information on the website:
WAR is currently scheduled for release in early 2008. It will be released simultaneously in North America and Europe.
Isn't that a somewhat embarrassing competence level, and think of the reflection it creates of the company? It doesn't create trust in the company taking its responsibilities serious one bit.
That is not effective communication, or even close.....

So I'm sorry, but in conclusion - I do currently think you bring most of the "flames" and "whines" on yourselves, and I simply can't phantom the methods you use right now, because they are neither effective nor even sensible from a communication, management and customer-relation viewpoint

(edit: hope it was constructive enough.)

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
How many people do you plan to have in open beta?

Do you have any plans yet for server types? Will there be a RP server?

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Will there be a preorder box for the standard edition? If so when will it be out? If so, where will it be out? Please tell me its GAME or somewhere too, since HMV stores 'near' me don't even sell pc games.

MagnusGOA

Echoing Iain, I too, will not have regular internet access during the weekend but I'll do my best to check back.

There are already many questions here deserving a straight answer. Me and Iain will share what answers we can, and where we cannot, we will escalate to someone who can do so for us.

I can, however, give you a straight answer here and now regarding the FAQ. The explanation is simple: the Community Management team has many areas of responsibility and the FAQ was neglected. Apologies for this. An updated version of the FAQ is in the process of being translated and will be online early next week.

I look forward to further questions being brought up here. Please refrain from /signed posts and keep the discussion on-topic. Constructive criticism will be listened to, bashing will not.

Until next time, I wish you a great weekend!
-Magnus

Bahumat

FH is my second home
The people with Head Start, will we get a few days to download the client before the Head Start takes place?

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
Or to rephrase Bahumat's question will there be one download for Open Beta that is patched and usuable in Headstart and then patched for Live servers so that we only have to do 1 big download?

Derian

Fledgling Freddie
I would like to know the answer on the download also. If it is like the US download it will be one big download with the ability to re-patch it for the live head start. So if Iain or Magnus can shed some light it would be helpful, also any info on my other questions would be good aswell.

lerusius

Fledgling Freddie
What happened to the 23.30 MTV Sweden WAR trailer? It did not show anything between 23.15 to 23.30? Or maybe I misunderstood when it was showing. Does it mean one time between 21:30 - 23:30?

nelg39

Fledgling Freddie
I posted my questions at WHA but since there up to 6 pages already thought id repeat my post here.

This is a good idea, and will go a long way to making us (EU customers) feel like we are getting an equal service.

Q1. will EU CE get a extended HS?
Q2. will EU CE get into CB?
Q3. will there be an EU Road to War?
Q4. when will we be able to down load the client?
Q5. when will we be able to set up are accounts?
Q6. will the EU SE be invited to OB?
Q7. when will the EU website be updated? answered next week sometime, good stuff, 1down. :)

War is much more than just another game, and thats why the community are so vocal about there concerns. Im a long time Daoc fan and can see the improvements that GOA have already made.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Methos

Loyal Freddie
I see this thread more as an official announcement that Requiel and Imaad are the Community managers for our servers, so congratulations, and i wish you both the best of luck, it won't be an easy task!

But from what i've seen so far from GOA on this forum and the beta i'm positive about GOA and the game and i think we're in for some fun!

PS: Both no internet during the weekend? They better be some pretty special ladies then! :D

peo

Fledgling Freddie
If the faq is in the process of being translated why not put up the english one first since 90% of the customerbase do read english and make a temporary post for the other languages saying to look at the english while the other languages are in the process of being translated.
However updating it only once a year is way to slow as it doesn't take long (given that it is properly programmed)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
On Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning everyone can create Accounts, though before the maintenance last wednesday the account creation failed for a few people.
Entering the email under 'Forgotten Password' yields no results in this case, yet Account-Names and Nicknames appear to be in-use. Do these 'dead' accounts get cleaned up before release?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ladies and Gentlemen... please don't spam this thread with :iagree: smilies. If a question has been asked it doesn't need repeating, and the GOA folks will find it much easier to get through your questions in an orderly manner.

Thanks.

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
Why is GOA making WARalliance the inofficial official forum and not freddys house?

Faya

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Will there be a Realm War map where we can check the frontier status whilst at work?

Hazeroth

Fledgling Freddie
why we have 24/7 support in US?
why we have all informations about servers status, problems minutes after crashes/down.
why we know when servers will be up again?
why we dont have to wait 2 days until people will come to work to fix things?
and last question, do you really expect me GOA to pay YOU for this kind of support you are serving?

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
Q: If we in EU download the US client will it be the same thing as downloading from the EU mirror?

the reason i ask is goa and mythic mentioned already that US and EU will go live together, patch together, both have in game support 24/7 etc. so both quite similar, so surely the coding isnt too far off?
Maybe just have to change a line in update.dat to make sure when it is patched it patches towards EU server names... or is it just wishful thinking ;)

cheers

Skorn

Fledgling Freddie
Greetings IanC and MagnusK,
Here are my questions;
1/ When will the SE pre-order details be released?
2/ When will we get a fully functional and informative website?
3/ Do you think it's a good marketing strategy to keep potential EU customers (many of whom are mmorpg veterans, that have seen the good,the bad, and the ugly)in the dark regarding even the most elemental logistical and time-line related questions? Even a rough outline would help stop the prolific confusion.
4/ What time is love?:lol:

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
Can we have never-ending bowls of custard just for being in Europe and not having access to the prizes from Road-to-WAR?

Can we have some of the Mythic merchandise for sale via your site?

Is there any update on contents of the CE package?

MagnusGOA

Why is GOA making WARalliance the inofficial official forum and not freddys house?

Faya

I fail to see how you could support such a notion, given the amount of attention both me and Iain devote to Freddys. If you compare mine and Iain's activity on Freddy's and WHA, I'm sure you would agree. It is our outspoken aim not to have an inofficial official forum. The community here at Freddys is very valuable to us and I don't see this changing.

Blessings,
Magnus

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
1- What are the realistic chances any of the removed classes or cities will be reinstated by the end of the year? If not, do you have any idea when Mythic plan on working on this issue and resolving it?

2- How many servers will there be? Will there be a population cap on these servers, and if so, what will that cap be? If there is a cap, will it be on created characters, or number of accounts allowed to create characters on any given server?

3- How many English speaking servers will there be? If the population dwindles over the years, are these servers capable of being clustered at a later date?

4- Will WAR be released in console format? If so, which formats?

5- How do GOA propose to enforce the age restriction for the game?

6- Do Mythic plan on providing regular free content updates as is the case in some modern MMO's?

7- Do GOA plan on running any inpromptu events on the EU servers? Are you allowed to do such things?

8- What will GOA's stance be on cheating, bug abusing, gold farming, verbal abuse and other such serious issues? Will GOA be using a "Punishment that fits the crime at the time" approach, or a more rigid and structured approach. For example, if players know "Doing A = 1 week suspension" and "Doing B = Account Ban" then they know the limits from the start and are less likely to commit such acts.

9- What will be GOA's stance on the naming policy (if indeed there is one)?

Nibor

One of Freddy's beloved
10- will goa emplyes are allowed to use the toilett? and much more important, when?

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
Thank you Magnus for replying.
When i read the Official q&A thread on WARalliance, i believe, the thread here wasent up, so i jumped to a conclusiion, apparantly to fast.
Or it might be the fact that the OP just copy/pasted the open letter...and so did all other forums? I dont know as i only frequent this and WARalliance.

Again thank you for the response and if i jumped to a wrong conclusion i apologize.

Faya

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom