I'm such a n00b!

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
So I finally dinged level 4, found Belsameth doing some fishing, got a few tips and got shown the auction house. I went out and did a bit more killing, then suddenly this big grumpy looking thing comes up behind the bumblebee I was happily killing and started bashing me round the head :(

So I died and levelled down to 3 again :(

Is there factions I should know about? I got the impression everything just outside the gates of Windhurst was "neutral" or do you get agro the further you explore? Please excuse my DAoC speak, but it's the only thing I can relate to at the moment!

And how do these auction houses work? Belsameth said I can sell all my loot there but how do I know how much to sell it for? I targetted the auction counter and looked through what was there and really couldn't see any obvious prices!

On a brighter note, I'm handling the controls a lot better thanks to advice from Whisperess, and I'm not running into walls so often! I got a mission from some short dudes at a gate and I have to find the Horrrutoto Ruins, so if anyone wants to show me there, I'd be most grateful because I'm having trouble with that map!

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
All Beastmen are generally aggro.

Bestmen are:

Yagudo, Bird men.

Goblin's, Big ears.

Quadavs, giant turtles on 2 legs.

Orcs, mutated and shrinked Galkas.

Besides that it's sometimes pretty obvious, sometimes you have no idea and get wtfpwnd in seconds.

AH works in a way i havnt seen in any other game. You put up a item at XXX price. We are lucky to get in alte tbh, cause the prices have already adapted to their right prices with the japanese over the last 1.5 years.

If you wanna sell a item, go to AH, then find it in the Bid section, and check it's price history, depending on how fast you want it sold, you can set it at the highest price, mid-price or lowest price.

You can maximum have 7 items on AH at once, which blows completely, ppl often make extra chars, just to get more AH space.

Once your items on AH sell, the proceeds will be sent to your Delivery Box in your Mog House.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
err gobbo's and them bird men are aggro and to sell stuff in the auction house you just click on sell then on the item you want to sell then set a price its pretty straight forward

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Elvo^Rylu said:
AH works in a way i havnt seen in any other game. You put up a item at XXX price. We are lucky to get in alte tbh, cause the prices have already adapted to their right prices with the japanese over the last 1.5 years.

If you wanna sell a item, go to AH, then find it in the Bid section, and check it's price history, depending on how fast you want it sold, you can set it at the highest price, mid-price or lowest price.

You can maximum have 7 items on AH at once, which blows completely, ppl often make extra chars, just to get more AH space.

Once your items on AH sell, the proceeds will be sent to your Delivery Box in your Mog House.

Hmm, so I have some eggs, some feather or something, and other strange bits and pieces. How on earth do I know what category they are, without going into every menu?! I tried the obvious one - food - looking for the type of eggs I have but nothing there. Really really odd!

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
That's one thing a linkshell is good for.

You can also do another trick.

Put the item up for 999,999,999 gil

Then under Sales Status press it and press Price History, then take the item down and put it up again @ appropriate price.

And you can only put up 1 item at a time, or 12 in a stack.

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
And for the record, Bird Eggs are Food->Ingredients i think.

Or it's Food->Meals->Meast&Eggs

Astral\

Fledgling Freddie
Dont forget to always have signet on you when outside the gates.
It gives you crystals which in stacks of 12, sells for lovely cash at the auction house.
Just talk to the guards with a ww in the end of their name.

You might wanna wait untill level 6-8 with the Horutoto ruins mission.

Missionguides and other great stuff:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
aye, signet is very important.

Gives you crystals which are very nice money in the beginning.

Also gives you Conquest Points which are very useful later on mostly when you need equipment, or just if you need money.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Yay me!

Thanks for the tips here. I'm doing really well now, hardly died at all last level, and now I'm a massively high level 8! W00t! I printed some quests off Allakhazam to have a look at tonight but any good ones you can tell me about, I'd be grateful.

I'm still a bit upset as to how I'm ever going to afford any clothes to wear. Belsameth very kindly left me a little monetary gift in my lockbox and that just about got me a pair of knuckles. I'm guessing do I just keep killing lowbie mobs and selling all those weird drops at the AH in the hope that some day I'll make enough cash to cover my bare (but very sexy) chest? Because by the time I'll be able to afford something I'll have levelled and the next item up will be more expensive, and so on..

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
[QUOTE='Shy]just about got me a pair of knuckles.[/QUOTE]
Guessing you're a Monk then.

Cesti would do fine up to level 12, after that you'd want either a Burning Cesti ( if you're filthy rich ) or a Lizard Cesti - OR you could get freesword baghnaks at level 10 for 'free' ( conquest points ). You want as low delay with as high +damage as possible ( and if possible, +accuracy or +dex ) as a monk. I've never seen the charm of Knuckles really. Too slow for my taste, but that's just imo.

At around level 8 you'll want the Kenpogi ( Body ), Kyahan or Solea ( boots ), Tekko or Mitts ( hands ), Sitabaki or Slacks ( legs ), Heko Obi or keep the monk belt you began with for waist.

You could get the Hachimaki as headgear, but there's a (much) better and cheaper one for level 9 called the Compound Eye Circlet. It's from a quest called "A Gift From Heaven". ( check spoiler below if you want to know how )*

Guessing you're still a bit too used to Daoc at the moment. You don't have to upgrade your equipment every level - just keep it somewhat recent, and sell the old armor at the AH and you'll be fine. Remember that monks are damage doers, not damage takers in groups.

There is no way whatsoever you could not afford the equipment above if you've leveled with signet on and sold the loot/crystals at the AH. Also, check the local shops before checking the AH price - they are generally cheaper for newbie gear. Remember - sell to auction house, not to local shops. ( i.e. 180 gil for stack of fire crystals to local shop - 1300 - 1700 gil at AH ). Also, remember to do the repeatable quests, like crawler calculi (3) to Dhalmel Farm for 600 gil ( not the silks, save those ) and 2-leaf Mandragora Bud + 1 Bird feather to Orastery in waters for 250 gil. There's plenty more repeatables that are good cash early on.

*A Gift from Heaven spoiler
quest: A Gift from Heaven
reqs: Held Tatty Love Letter before. ( one of the letters for Ambrosius at north AH )
gets: Cpd. Eye Circlet
solution: Kill Crawlers on Starfall Hillock ( west saruta, check map ) to get Meteorite. Trade it to Koru-Moru.

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
You should at least make 10k+ lvling form 1-10.

Probably some of the best money-making lvls.

Freesword's Knuckles can either be bought for 1000 CP or for 3k on AH.

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
Just read all of Whisperess post.

imo, dont buy the slops/mitts/solea.

It's caster armor and everyone will think your a mage :p

If you want a quick upgrade, buy Leather armor at 7.

And if you got 3k, Bronze Knuckles +1 (Lv. 5) are great weapons.

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Elvo^Rylu said:
Just read all of Whisperess post.

imo, dont buy the slops/mitts/solea.

It's caster armor and everyone will think your a mage :p

And if you got 3k, Bronze Knuckles +1 (Lv. 5) are great weapons.

Yes, the bronze knuckles I think I got. Couldn't afford the +1 ones so just got the normal ones for 1k. I remember someone saying to wait for lvl 7 to get leather, and now I got there I can't afford it!

What is the alternative to knuckles? Would it be a staff? Altho the knuckles look pretty cool I might fancy a change later on :)

Ohh, and also I bought a necklace because it looked nice and it was cheap. It's got a little symbol that looks like a drop of water and says +3 - what does that mean?

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Whisperess said:
Also, remember to do the repeatable quests, like crawler calculi (3) to Dhalmel Farm for 600 gil ( not the silks, save those ) and 2-leaf Mandragora Bud + 1 Bird feather to Orastery in waters for 250 gil. There's plenty more repeatables that are good cash early on.

These are like the equivalent to "kill tasks"? I think I have a couple of those on my Moogle because I couldn't see them in the AH to find a price - that be why then! :)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Elvo^Rylu said:
Monks can't wear the leather armor though... such unfairness <(q , q)>

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Whisperess said:
Monks can't wear the leather armor though... such unfairness <(q , q)>

Not ever?!?!?! Hmm.. :(

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Nope. You'll see that it's quite a few armor sets that are tilted to specific classes.

But you can use 'em if you level up another job later on :)

( recommend warrior as sub for a few levels after you've done the subjob quest at lvl 18 )

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
dont use anything but H2H weps as a monk :p

Staffs are for blms and smns

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom