"Illegal copy" message

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Bah.

Just installed classic Daoc on my comp after taking a long break from the game. Installed it ok but when trying to run it the CD whirrs round and eventually I get "illegal copy" message.

Now this is ironic as I have 4 legit copies of the bloody game sat here!

Any ideas? I imagine this might have cropped up before but after taking a hiatus I can't recall where to look.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Hrm...bit of a bugger that. Tried deleting and reinstalling from a different CD?

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
As far as I know the copy protection on the DAoC disk is a ring of bad sectors burnt into the disk itself. You can see it as a thin grey line about halfway across the disk. The game looks for these bad sectors before installing to verify that it's a legitimate copy. If your disk is scratched or dirty it may not be able to find them - although as it can't read bad sectors anyway, not being able to read that part of the disk shouldn't make a difference.
I might be wrong but that's how I understand the protection on the disk to work.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks for the replies guys.

Have tried uninstalling/reinstalling from different discs and no joy. Looks like my PC doesn't want me to deal with Goa again!

I'll see what I can do when I'm back next weekend, cheers again.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
\o/ xtro coming back again :)

need a buffbot ? :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Wij said:
\o/ xtro coming back again :)

need a buffbot ? :)
Dont accept his offer, heard Wij has been running around offering people to be their butt bot.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
You can install from any disk, its only the key that varies. So if you got 4 disks, you should have no problem.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Fafnir said:
Dont accept his offer, heard Wij has been running around offering people to be their butt bot.

A t is just an f on it's head.

Care for a buff ?

*buff Faf*

:)

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Why would an online game need copy protecting anyway :D
You even need the cd key to register an account....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom