IIS fails during Imaging by Ghost

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
hello there

ill come straight out with it, every single time i install a computer with the following :

Windows xp
IIS

and then when i sysprep it and take an image of it, it fucks the IIS up totally and you have to reinstall it

why?

is there a way to save the IIS AND take an image of a computer while sysprepping it ?

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Ashala said:
hello there

ill come straight out with it, every single time i install a computer with the following :

Windows xp
IIS

and then when i sysprep it and take an image of it, it fucks the IIS up totally and you have to reinstall it

why?
IIS uses local computer SIDs and the machine name to generate the user accounts for IIS access, when you change the SIDs through sysprep, IIS isnt intelligent enough to look at the changed SIDs, it just expects the original SIDs to be intact.

Ashala said:
is there a way to save the IIS AND take an image of a computer while sysprepping it ?
Nope, only advice is to install the Computer image without IIS then image that, then once youve installed it just add IIS manually and import the IIS config you can export from your original box (if the config is different to the initial IIS config)

anyhow, if you build your image with the i386 folder on the drive (you are doing this, arnt you?) then its very simple to install IIS directly afterwards with a modified answer file to run the IIS install (mini setup for the win)

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
actually we just found out that you CAN actually install IIS and sysprep an image at the same time, just not with Service Pack 2 on it, so somehow that fucked the entire installation up, thanks for your reply tho :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom