If you struggle with English and are a native speaker

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Finnish counting is actually quite easy as its very logical (im a dane living in Finland so learning the lingo currently)

its all the other grammar thats a bitch (every word can have up to 15 different endings, or combinations of endings depending on the situation, who its about and where the person is in relation to you, how many of them there are etc etc)

but they have words like Lampimampi and that keeps me pretty entertained

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Yea that counting looks pretty logical... Its just the spelling that's the problem, every word is 30 chars long lol.

There must be some very big books in Finland

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It does look very rigid and structured, it's just the long words that might put somebody off. As long as you learn the words for 1-10 and how to form 10, 20, 30, 40 etc (10, 2x10, 3x10, 4x10...) it looks easy to follow.

If anything it's more logical than our counting and it certainly beats French... quatre-vingt anyone?

sayward

Resident Freddy
Isn't it the language that's only related to 3 others iincluding Basque? or am I confusing it with another one?

sayward

Resident Freddy
It's Finnish and Hungarian with Mongolian roots so there.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Nobody actually talks, or even rarely writes like that. For example, kaksikymmentäkaksi is kakskaks. Unless you're one of those hippywinedrinking assholes who speak literal.

Problem with foreigners is that they teach the literal Finnish, which isn't even close to the way one "should" talk.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpxDm3BA4c

Thats the usual level of a Finnish person speaking english, foreign people here? Much worse when they try Finnish :p

Ormorof

FH is my second home
yep - its a big problem i find that its not much use learning finnish in the classroom beyond the basics and for reading shiz as no one actually speaks finnish in the real world they all speak slang/dialects which are completely different from the "real" finnish and varies wildly depending on where you are in Finland

which is why it is considered one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world! - along with the crazy grammar there are some times when you need to use "strong" consonants and others when weak consonants, thus K can be either KK K or nothing, MP becomes MM or vice versa, P becomes PP or the other way around, sometimes this doesnt happen if theres an S before the P...

and long words that are difficult to pronounce:
Hurskastelevaisehkollaismaisellisuuksissaankohankin hän toimi?I wonder if he did so partly just to show sort of a slightly hypocratic kind of basic attitude?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just remember to add any variation of vittu/saatana/perkele in a sentence and you're fine :LOL:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
These Finns, are they Russian or are they Swedish?
Time for them to make up their minds and stop pretending with this Finnish malarkey, I mean the country's only there because some map maker forgot to join up Russia and Sweden.
Oit crarp, we haf fugutten dees beet ov larnnd..ve call eet Feeenlard for sure.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We were here actually way before sweden or russia, we just didn't hold records very well :p

The country has been way before the swedish rule somewhere around 1500(or 1700, can't remember).

Think there was some stuff of the oldest cave around here with signs of civilization being 125k old.

Oh and to answer your question; we're neither and that would get you slapped around here...by our women...who are pregnant...and in a wheelchair.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I think if you asked the average Brit what Finland was like they would take a guess it's full of pissheads, which you must understand is a great compliment and would endear the entire population as decent people who understand the importance of getting numbfucked.
I'm glad to be corrected that Finland was there first and I do hope Nokia all the success with their new windows powered wellies or whatever it is they are making now.
They will always be the best phones to me and Nokia were making the shit the masses are getting excited about now years before the rest.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I love languages (except Arabic, which is one of the ugliest sounding languages I've ever heard. Couple of guys in the office speak it all the time. Its far more painful on the ears than German. Sorry to any Arabic speakers :) )

Tonight I have a choice: stay in & learn how to count up to 68 in Finnish (69's a bit of a mouthful), or go out for a Chinese meal & a few beers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom