If you had to perform an emergency tracheostomy would you know what to do?

If you had to perform an emergency tracheostomy would you know what to do?

• No way. Call 911

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Yeah, piece of cake.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No, but I'd give it a go if I think it would save their life (even tho I might kill them)

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Eww ! Blood ! Noooooo ! *Runs away*

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I have a rough idea that you can do it with a biro tube, but not enough to risk someone's life -maybe if there was no hope of emergency services getting there.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
When I went to selection there was a guy there going for the Medical Corps, he explained during the "stand up and talk" bit how he's always been into doing the paradmedic bit, how his parents are both doctors and he's grown up with it, knowing alot of different procedures and stuff, having taken courses since he was at highschool etc.

Anyway, after the course we were all sitting in the pub having a pint, and he was telling us how he got kicked out of one school he was at because one of the kids had a collapsed lung, and he stabbed him with a biro, re-inflated the lung and probably saved the kid's life.

On topic: I wouldnt know how to do it - dont you have to go through the ribs? fuck knows, I guess I'll be learning it soon though :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
On topic: I wouldnt know how to do it - dont you have to go through the ribs? fuck knows, I guess I'll be learning it soon though :)

The clue is in the name - you have to penetrate the trachea, (windpipe).

Dukat

Resident Freddy
The clue is in the name - you have to penetrate the trachea, (windpipe).

I got the name - I had assumed you had to do the stabbage to a lower part of the trachea though: which is where the whole "through the ribs" bit comes in.

The whole "fuck knows" bit still applies though, I think :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
no way. I would prolly kill them if I even tried to give it a go. and besides, not to be rude or anything, but I'd have to bite a hole in their throat because I don't have the habit of carrying a blade everywhere.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
no way. I would prolly kill them if I even tried to give it a go. and besides, not to be rude or anything, but I'd have to bite a hole in their throat because I don't have the habit of carrying a blade everywhere.

I'd create the incistion via my sharp whit! cool *over emphasise on W* wwwwhip!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Still think you can do it?

Mey

Part of the furniture
The tricky part is avoiding destroying the voice box.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I have a basic idea, but having the balls to do it is another thing. One of my clients was out motorbiking with his extremely hot girlfriend about 15 years ago. A guy came round a corner on the wrong side of the road, took the motorbike off the road and into a field.

The client's girlfriends helmet saved her life, but because of impact damage it had twisted and was cutting into her throat, cutting off her windpipe. He, thinking very clearly somehow, performed a tracheotomy and saved her life.

Her face was completely shattered and took three years of facial rebuilding for her to feel confident enough to go out again, but she was still alive thanks to his calmness and bottle.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
thing is tho mate, if i ring 911, it'd probably take 7/8 hours for them to get here, so forget that, i'd rather ring 999 :\

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I remember being told and shown how to locate the area of the throat in which to stab by a nurse when I was a kid but mainly I'd just try it becausse it has been a lifelong dream of mine to stab someone in the throat.

save someones life...I mean to say save someones life...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Don't know if i would be able to do it properly(most likely not), but if push came to shove, i COULD do it.

End result of my actions would be highly speculative if anything.

Laddey

FH is my second home
911, i thought you're english Lamp.

If my mum was led there, and without attempting to do this she'd die no doubt about it.

bloody right i would.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
*Thinks* I THINK I know where you're meant to do it, yeah, probably would attempt it.. *Shudder* If it was that or death, I'd go for it.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH

No, and even if you did it's a piece of piss to slide around the ribs - they have 1/2 to 1 inch gaps between them depending on the angle you're sat at/breathing/bone structure etc.

That said, i'm surprised a Biro could penetrate the muscle sheath between the ribs - it's pretty tough!

Also, you can access the thorax easily from the gap between the trap and the collar bone (it's effectively a drum).

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Also, you can access the thorax easily from the gap between the trap and the collar bone (it's effectively a drum).

Couldnt that be a bit dodgy? I dont know about the area in detail, but we use it as an attack point at Kung Fu so I am assuming there ia bundle of nerves or arteries around there.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol I just had a vision of Dukat at the scene of an accedent and the ambulance turns up, paramedics take a look at the victim and say "WTF happened to him???"

victim has a biro tube sticking out of his eye and a bycicle pump up his bottom and Duk says "I was attempting CPR...I saw it on freddyshouse!"

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Couldnt that be a bit dodgy? I dont know about the area in detail, but we use it as an attack point at Kung Fu so I am assuming there ia bundle of nerves or arteries around there.

Yes, i was inferring more to cause harm than be useful :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom