If you cross Will, Tom and Tdc - what do you get?

Will

/bin/su
Thats pretty awesome. I've wanted a hot-tub for ages.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
That is sheer unbelievable pure GENIUS!

I MUST HAVE ONE!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Good innit :D

Saw it in this month's Stuff magazine.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
cool aren't they? made by an artist/designer bloke close to here. glad they're breaking through internationally :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
thats a cool design. You can just light a fire under the head exchange if you cant be fucked with a boiler and all that rubbish.

How much?

TdC

much. they're quite expensive, but then it's a design thing, and they don't tend to run cheap.

Will

/bin/su
I'm tempted to try and make my own out of a bathtub, a woodburning stove, and a copper coil. My budget is fuck all, and I can't weld, so this may just be another idea in my head.

TdC

you'll make it!

*watches Will's house burn down*

Will

/bin/su
I'm planning as we speak. The tricky bit is making the coil, but if I make it from soft copper, and make it square instead of round, it should be possible.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
The liquid won't particularly travel round very well would it? :p

Besides I thought it was a lot easier making a coil than a square?

Will

/bin/su
Bending a coil with piping isn't easy. It doens't fit into standard pipe benders - easier to bend it into squares.

And the liquid would still travel round fine, I can't see it making a significant difference in flow, as long as I don't crimp it on the corners.

TdC

won't that result in horrendous back-pressure though? you may burst a corner and catch a jolt of boiling water to the face! or groin! or both!

Will

/bin/su
If I bend it over the correct radius, it'll be fine. Making the coil is by far the hardest bit, I doubt I'll manage it first time.

I can't imagine it having any back pressure. Think of it as curves connected by straight pipes, rather than tight corners.

TdC

too bad, I was enjoying the mental image of you getting a squirt of boiling water to the scrote ;)

Will

/bin/su
Nice find, but that tubing is a lot thinner than I was planning, I was thinking 19mm OD, and thats about 7mm. I had a search myself, and if you try to make a coil with larger diameter tubing, it tends to fold rather than bend, unless you use a specific tool for the job.

TdC

yeah, you'll need a pretty reasonable diameter, or your water will take like forever to get warm by convection. I read on the webby that the dutchtub record time heating up to 100F is an hour and 15 minutes, and that it took well over 5 hours when sitting outside in the snow.

they guesstimate you'll need about 2,5 cubic feet of firewood to reach optimum temperature, and that much again to sustain it while wallowing in the lap of luxury ;)

Will

/bin/su
Thats what I was thinking.

Now I need to find someone who will lend me a pipe bender. I guess I could hire one, but a days hire is £20, and I could buy one for £50.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Well, i've got a Trem at least; should count as a bender? :(

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I have a large pipe bender, but I am a long way from Will.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Hmm, I also have a couple of boatbuilders skilled in fibreglassing, and have been looking for a while for an extra 'thing' for my boatyard to be doing.

I wonder what kind of patent is held on that thing....

Will

/bin/su
Gumbo : I'm going to give it a go when I get paid. It'll be ugly, but it will be a good experiment to see how it works. I've been planning it in my head, and I've got a pretty good idea what I'll do. I've found a pipe bender for £30, so that looks like my first purchase, along with the copper.

The flaw with my plan is a lack of control over temperature, though I'm not sure how much of an issue it will be in practice. With the Dutchtub, you can raise the height of the firebox to leave it in contact with fewer coils.

I'm not sure it has a patent. But I want a cut. :p

TdC

I'm not sure either. But I can ask the guy for you. Or I get a Gumbotub for free ofc ;)

L

longbikebob

Hi, excuse me having an input, dutchtub have the design covered. dutchtub sued someone for commercially copying the dutchtub recently, won the case, shut them down.
But the physics is simple and has been used by folk for years, old central heating systems used the process of natural convection to circulate the water around the rads. The design of the dutchtub is not so simple and has been designed around functionality, the ability to be portable, to be able to take it with you into different setting, rural or urban and experience that space with a different perspective, relying on just water and wood.

The dutchtub is a lovely thing and great to use and share with friends. We hold the design precious because we love it. I look forward to seeing how you get on with your tub. check out boundless bathing | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | winter google |http://www.bounless
cheers rob @ dutchtub UK

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
*hovers above the "Nuke from orbit" button*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom