IE6/XP Problem?

D

Debaser

Okay, whether a web page actually manages to load has become hit and miss (took me half an hour to reach here) This has just become a recent thing and I've never come across this particular problem before. All I get is a "page not available" message, most sites I visit.

Also, Generic Host process (which I have to allow access through my Zonealarm firewall to even access the internet,) is continually sending information from my computer.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why this has started and it's bugging me. I've tried a virus scan both online and using my own to no avail plus I have scanned the computer with adaware and spybot.

Any ideas what is going on?

As the title says, I'm running XP Home and IE6. Both patched up to date.

S

(Shovel)

Hello,

Generic Host Process is fine: It does all kinds of stuff and it's best just to let it get on with it.

As for the Internet problem, lots of people have reported problems today. Major DNS servers have gone down, so as well as a lot of inaccessible websites, this may also be routing traffic through other servers, slowing it all down.

Which ISP are you using? NTL and Blueyonder are names that came up in the discussion. I also had a few problems from CableCom (private student shoebox connection).

D

Debaser

Freeserve.

The thing about the Host Process is that it is now continually accessing the internet rather than when i just request a web page. It just seemed to co-incide with web pages not loading.

Bloody computers :)

D

darthshearer

I think a server or summit from an ISP has blown up or something in Scotland Deb, mine was the same lastnight and Im with NTL so hopefully it should be back to norm tonight :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Yes, yesterday a transatlantic line or something similar went down and it caused probs all over the place. Read the post in the general forum about it ;)

C

Ch3tan

I think you should blame ie6 for all net failures. You wont have that problem using Firebird, its very good :) www.mozilla.org

Users who are viewing this thread